Tuesday, October 27, 2015
editor@muc.xmpp.org
October
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14
15
16
17
18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27
28 29 30
31  
             
XEP Editor Team — logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/editor/

[00:12:18] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[00:48:56] *** SamWhited has left the room
[00:48:59] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[00:49:52] *** SamWhited has left the room
[00:50:12] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[00:51:39] *** SamWhited has left the room
[00:51:40] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[00:52:27] *** SamWhited has left the room
[00:52:28] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[00:52:51] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[00:54:20] *** SamWhited has left the room
[00:54:21] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[00:56:39] *** SamWhited has left the room
[00:56:40] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[01:08:37] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[02:22:47] *** SamWhited has left the room
[02:22:48] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[02:23:40] *** SamWhited has left the room
[02:23:42] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[02:25:56] *** SamWhited has left the room
[02:25:57] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[03:05:14] *** SamWhited has left the room
[06:41:00] *** SamWhited has left the room
[07:36:50] *** Neustradamus shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[07:37:03] *** Neustradamus shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[07:45:30] *** Neustradamus shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[07:46:06] *** Neustradamus shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[07:46:11] *** Kev shows as "online"
[07:56:26] *** Kev shows as "away"
[08:09:11] *** Kev shows as "online"
[08:25:42] *** SamWhited has joined the room
[08:28:18] *** Kev shows as "away"
[08:31:16] *** Kev shows as "online"
[08:35:51] *** Ash has joined the room
[08:45:25] *** Ash shows as "online"
[08:53:30] *** Kev shows as "away"
[08:53:56] *** Kev shows as "online"
[09:12:20] *** Ash shows as "online"
[09:30:11] *** Kev shows as "away"
[09:53:15] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[09:58:22] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[09:59:25] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[09:59:30] *** Ash shows as "online"
[10:13:44] *** Kev shows as "online"
[10:33:14] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[10:38:15] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[10:41:43] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[10:41:50] *** Ash shows as "online"
[11:32:38] *** Kev shows as "away"
[11:35:17] *** Kev shows as "online"
[11:44:49] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[11:46:32] *** Ash shows as "online"
[12:26:20] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[12:31:22] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[12:40:47] *** Kev shows as "away"
[12:50:36] *** Kev shows as "online"
[13:01:48] *** Kev shows as "away"
[13:04:03] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:04:06] *** Ash shows as "online"
[13:11:46] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:14:05] *** Kev shows as "online"
[13:16:14] *** Ash shows as "online"
[13:48:56] *** Kev shows as "away"
[13:49:50] *** Kev shows as "online"
[13:53:22] *** Ash shows as "online"
[13:54:42] *** Kev shows as "online"
[13:54:50] *** Kev shows as "online"
[13:59:44] *** Ash shows as "online"
[14:01:50] *** Kev shows as "away"
[14:09:34] *** m&m has joined the room
[14:17:54] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[14:24:57] *** m&m shows as "online"
[14:33:36] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:38:11] *** stpeter has joined the room
[14:38:41] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:45:13] *** m&m shows as "online"
[14:53:19] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[14:58:07] <m&m> hola
[15:00:29] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[15:00:33] <stpeter> hey
[15:01:24] <stpeter> how goes it?
[15:03:00] <m&m> trucking along
[15:03:06] <m&m> preparing for Yokohama next week
[15:03:55] <m&m> so, we have PRs to cover!
[15:05:02] <m&m> I know there were items added to the council agenda, but I couldn't be present, and I haven't noticed minutes yet
[15:06:24] <stpeter> hmm
[15:06:27] <stpeter> yeah
[15:06:36] <stpeter> anyway, to the PRs?
[15:06:48] <m&m> PR 40 is waiting on authors
[15:06:57] <m&m> PR 41 is waiting on council, AFAIK
[15:07:09] <stpeter> I have some Yokohama prep to do too - not sure why, but I volunteered to help finish off the trickle-ICE spec (cf. XEP-0176) so I need to create a presentation for that
[15:07:21] <stpeter> and I have a few specs in AUTH48 ;-)
[15:07:24] <m&m> remote presentation? (-:
[15:08:30] <m&m> I think PR 82 is waiting on the submitter, but I'll ping the authors to be sure
[15:08:45] <m&m> wait, no, it's waiting on authors
[15:09:05] <m&m> PR 83 is waiting on … somebody (-:
[15:09:28] <m&m> I think Sam and Matt Wild have the ideas in their head, and haven't yet put them to digital pen
[15:09:39] <stpeter> nod
[15:09:56] <stpeter> I still haven't gotten to the XEP-0198 stuff as you can see :(
[15:10:05] <m&m> yeah
[15:10:07] <m&m> it happens
[15:10:30] <m&m> PR 95 — I'm not sure what the action here is
[15:10:37] <m&m> is it to council?
[15:10:59] <stpeter> I'm trying to finish this AUTH48 stuff and also update 2 Internet-Drafts for Monday....
[15:11:04] *stpeter looks
[15:11:56] <stpeter> I think the action there is to ask sco0ter to remove the status 174 stuff and then we can merge the PR
[15:12:07] <stpeter> because all the other fixes were fine
[15:12:12] <stpeter> and then a point release IMHO
[15:13:05] <m&m> ok
[15:13:21] <stpeter> I can reply in that issue
[15:14:02] <stpeter> done
[15:14:12] <m&m> thanks
[15:14:14] <m&m> PR 97 is another XEP-0198 item
[15:14:18] <stpeter> yep
[15:14:50] <m&m> PR 99 — I might just accept this as-is … it would be nicer if I could see it run cross-platform, but that's more effort than I'm willing to put into it
[15:15:00] <m&m> there are conflicts that need to be resolved, though
[15:15:21] <stpeter> nod
[15:15:27] <m&m> PR 100 went to council, no?
[15:15:30] <stpeter> PR 100 - see http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2015-10-21/#15:07:32
[15:15:41] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[15:15:43] *** Ash shows as "online"
[15:16:10] <stpeter> so basically it needs more list discussion
[15:16:17] <m&m> yep, see that
[15:16:27] <stpeter> it = XEP-0138 and the impact of attacks on application-layer compression in XMPP
[15:16:34] <m&m> right
[15:16:36] <stpeter> (not just this PR)
[15:16:43] <m&m> ok, so we'll need to get that going at some point
[15:16:55] <m&m> we == (XEP Editor, Kev)
[15:17:01] <m&m> someone in that set (-:
[15:17:28] <stpeter> we had a thread earlier this month about deprecating stream compression but it fizzled out
[15:17:39] <stpeter> I will reply to the last message from Thijs
[15:17:47] <m&m> yeah, I vaguely remember
[15:18:14] <m&m> PR 104 is still rippling through the list
[15:18:33] <m&m> Not sure if we should "call it" and let the council formally weigh in
[15:18:51] <m&m> I have a sense meaningful discussion is no longer happening
[15:18:56] <stpeter> nod
[15:19:05] <stpeter> I do think some guidance from the Council would be good there
[15:19:09] <m&m> better to wait for next council though
[15:19:13] <stpeter> true
[15:19:22] <stpeter> well, maybe
[15:19:29] <stpeter> doesn't necessarily matter, I guess :-)
[15:20:08] <m&m> I'd rather not be in the middle of a vote when a new council is elected … even if it's really ends up as the same council (-:
[15:20:16] <stpeter> good point
[15:20:27] <stpeter> PR 106 - I have not looked at that yet
[15:20:37] <m&m> I think we're waiting for someone to take it to the list
[15:21:04] <stpeter> says "Needs Author" too ;-)
[15:21:15] <m&m> very true (-:
[15:21:34] <m&m> that's kind of my default labels on Draft and Final docs
[15:21:59] <m&m> if something isn't clearly just editorial
[15:22:05] <stpeter> yeah
[15:22:08] <stpeter> good plan
[15:22:12] <m&m> ProtoXEP!
[15:22:19] <m&m> PR 111 I can get processed today
[15:23:12] <m&m> Same with PR 112
[15:23:36] <stpeter> ok super
[15:23:40] <m&m> And PR 113 is a simple editorial
[15:24:21] <m&m> I'll get those last three processed, and publish XEP-0320 as 1.9
[15:24:22] <stpeter> re #112 I've had some chats with Lance / @legastero about encrypted file transfer and I know someone else who's put a fair amount of thought into it, so I look forward to list discussion
[15:24:23] <m&m> er 1.0
[15:24:32] <m&m> (-:
[15:24:39] <stpeter> ;-)
[15:24:41] <SamWhited> RE 83: I'm going to just close it since it was deemed not the correct behavior. I really do need to sit down and do a new update.
[15:24:52] <m&m> ah, ok
[15:24:55] <m&m> thanks Sam
[15:24:58] <stpeter> hey Sam, OK
[15:25:59] <m&m> I think that's it
[15:27:06] <stpeter> anything needing attention in the issues? https://github.com/xsf/xeps/issues
[15:27:35] <stpeter> I'm on the hook for some PRs there
[15:27:47] <m&m> at this point, all the actions there are for someone to update or write a doc
[15:27:52] <stpeter> yes
[15:27:59] <m&m> non-trivial updates at that
[15:28:56] <stpeter> some of 'em, yeah
[15:29:05] <stpeter> I'll deal with active PRs first, methinks
[15:29:11] <m&m> right
[15:29:18] <stpeter> so we're done in half an hour!
[15:29:21] <stpeter> good job, team!
[15:29:27] <m&m> amazing (-:
[15:29:29] <SamWhited> Rebased 99 on master
[15:29:44] <stpeter> gold star for the day!
[15:30:08] <stpeter> I have yet to grok rebasing in fulness - I must dedicate some time to learning git more fully
[15:30:09] <m&m> thanks Sam
[15:31:07] <SamWhited> Git is actually an incredibly simple system, which makes it nice to learn, but also means that it's way easier to learn on a whiteboard than at a computer.
[15:39:38] <SamWhited> What happened to the attachto XEP I submitted? Looks like the council voted to accept as Experimental last wednesday. Did that fall through the cracks?
[15:39:54] <SamWhited> http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2015-10-21/#15:05:49
[15:40:01] <m&m> in so much as Kev hasn't pushed out minutes, and I could not attend the last Council meeting
[15:40:14] <SamWhited> Ah, no minutes. That'll do it.
[15:40:21] <m&m> well, there's minutes *now" *(-:
[15:40:34] <m&m> we'll get that published as 0.1 presently
[15:40:49] <SamWhited> Same with entity versioning actually, that was a while back. I think one or two people were to vote "on list" but it's probably been longer than the two weeks or whatever it is. I should go check on that.
[15:40:58] <m&m> oh, wait … can't yet … waiting on Dave
[15:41:08] <Kev> Sorry, just saw a highlight. What's up?
[15:41:09] <m&m> I have to poke Council again about entityversioning
[15:41:24] <m&m> I was just waiting on minutes
[15:41:29] <m&m> so issue resolved
[15:41:32] <Kev> Ah. Perfect timing, then.
[15:41:54] <SamWhited> Oh yah, there they are... good timing.
[15:42:03] <m&m> we do have some protoXEPs that might have fallen through the cracks … will gather up the list and let you know, Kev
[15:42:46] <SamWhited> Maybe council should file an issue after they have a vote so we can track the actual task of doing whatever the thing is alongside PR's and what not.
[15:43:14] <SamWhited> Vote in the MUC or on-list or in some non-third-party place, but track all work on GitHub.
[15:44:04] <m&m> that's a good idea, but something for the Editor team to do
[15:44:12] <m&m> technically the Editor is responsible for tracking votes
[15:44:21] <SamWhited> makes sense
[15:44:46] <SamWhited> I'll start just doing that if I'm watching a council meeting and a vote happens. See if the workflow feels good.
[15:46:08] <Kev> I suggest that Editors think about what they'd like, and talk to the new Council Chair about it when the guard changes.
[15:53:38] <stpeter> rightio
[15:55:53] <stpeter> I have, in the past for another board I was running, used GitHub for creating meeting agendas but not yet for tracking votes - I somewhat like the idea of having everything in one place (although the XEPs repo might not be that place, at least for Council business - setting up a separate Council repo could work, though) ... but, as Kev says, that's something for the next Council to ponder
[15:58:33] <Kev> If it was me, I'd be more inclined to use Trello for this, but whatever, it won't be me :)
[15:59:23] <SamWhited> I was thinking more tracking of the actual work. So council would vote in the normal way, but then file an issue to tell the editors "merge and mark this XEP as experimental" or whatever the task is.
[16:01:22] <Kev> I think that's traditionally been the Editor's job.
[16:02:37] <SamWhited> Yah, less benefit if the editors are doing it (because then if minutes are late or something there's a delay), but it doesn't really matter. Mainly just having a tracking issue which, if the editor who was going to do something goes on vacation, can be looked at by others so things don't fall through the cracks.
[16:31:15] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:39:25] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:41:18] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:43:16] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:44:26] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:53:16] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:55:55] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:55:57] *** m&m shows as "online"
[18:11:20] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:21:50] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:34:01] *** Kev shows as "away"
[18:48:51] *** Kev shows as "online"
[19:19:48] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:19:52] *** Ash shows as "online"
[19:25:27] *** Kev shows as "away"
[19:25:27] *** Kev shows as "online"
[19:28:08] *** SamWhited has left the room
[19:28:13] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[19:31:33] *** SamWhited has left the room
[19:39:26] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[19:40:22] *** SamWhited has left the room
[19:40:25] *** SamWhited shows as "online"
[19:41:17] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:58:40] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[20:18:46] *** stpeter shows as "xa" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[20:27:28] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[20:46:16] *** Kev has left the room
[20:49:50] *** m&m shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:49:57] *** m&m shows as "online"
[21:02:47] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:08:00] *** Ash shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:37:48] *** SamWhited has left the room
[22:03:33] *** Kev shows as "online"
[22:05:48] *** Ash shows as "online"
[22:05:57] *** Ash has left the room
[22:14:34] *** Kev shows as "away"
[22:37:57] *** Ash has left the room
[23:13:13] *** m&m has left the room
[23:18:27] *** Kev shows as "online"
[23:31:45] *** Kev shows as "away"
[23:40:58] *** stpeter has left the room
[23:43:17] *** stpeter has joined the room
[23:44:58] *** stpeter has left the room