Wednesday, April 20, 2011
xsf@muc.xmpp.org
April
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
 
             
XSF Discussion | Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/ | Agenda https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings

[01:50:55] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[01:56:19] *** stpeter has joined the room
[03:49:18] *** bear has left the room
[04:05:01] *** bear has joined the room
[04:07:52] *** bear shows as "away" and his status message is "Out for the night."
[04:23:01] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[04:23:24] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[04:42:19] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[04:42:50] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[05:19:31] *** stpeter has left the room
[06:35:16] *** Kev shows as "online" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[07:36:20] *** Kev shows as "away" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[07:38:39] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[07:52:26] *** Kev shows as "online" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[07:54:02] *** MiGri shows as "away" and his status message is "I'm not at the computer but I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[09:06:24] *** Ludovic has joined the room
[09:36:48] *** MiGri has left the room
[09:37:01] *** MiGri has joined the room
[09:57:02] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[10:17:22] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[11:09:20] *** emcho has joined the room
[11:22:12] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[11:30:13] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[11:42:03] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[11:52:04] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[11:53:29] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[11:53:34] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[11:53:35] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[11:53:36] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[12:04:40] *** Kev shows as "away" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[12:06:36] *** Kev shows as "online" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[12:14:50] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[12:24:50] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[12:43:48] *** Vanaryon has joined the room
[12:44:39] *** Vanaryon has left the room
[12:44:44] *** Vanaryon has joined the room
[12:57:50] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[12:57:59] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[13:25:46] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:26:22] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[13:29:24] *** emcho has left the room
[13:29:32] *** emcho has joined the room
[13:29:36] *** stpeter has joined the room
[13:39:32] <Vanaryon> stpeter, I mailed you the XML file for the microblogging XEP (I updated everything needed in the XEP headers), hope it is okay ;)
[13:45:46] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:49:15] <stpeter> hi Vanaryon, yes I saw that
[13:53:22] <Vanaryon> okay
[13:55:34] <Vanaryon> We are discussing - in our project - about a strong need for microblogging: a @user feature (mainly for notifications, and notices tracking), we might be submitting some other XEP-0277 updates in the future ;)
[13:55:47] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:58:03] <stpeter> ok good
[13:58:28] <stpeter> brb
[14:07:31] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:07:40] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[14:08:09] *** emcho shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:08:09] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[14:08:31] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[14:15:32] *** Kev shows as "away" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[14:16:57] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[14:20:30] *** Kev shows as "online" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[14:32:44] *** Vanaryon shows as "away" and his status message is "« We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it. » E. Guevara (Absent(e) car inactif depuis plus de 5 min)"
[14:33:12] *** Vanaryon shows as "online" and his status message is "« We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it. » E. Guevara"
[14:49:11] *** emcho shows as "online" and his status message is "coding ..."
[14:49:58] *** petermount has joined the room
[14:49:58] *** petermount shows as "online"
[14:51:01] *** petermount shows as "online"
[14:56:03] *** petermount shows as "online"
[14:58:27] *** emcho has left the room
[14:58:27] *** emcho has left the room
[14:58:50] *** emcho has joined the room
[15:01:04] *** petermount shows as "online"
[15:01:14] *** Vanaryon has left the room
[15:03:00] *** stpeter shows as "dnd" and his status message is "in a meeting (actually, two!)"
[15:03:48] *** emcho shows as "online"
[15:03:57] *** emcho has left the room
[15:04:29] *** emcho has joined the room
[15:04:34] *** bear shows as "online"
[15:06:05] *** petermount shows as "online"
[15:11:06] *** petermount shows as "online"
[15:16:06] *** petermount shows as "online"
[15:21:07] *** petermount shows as "online"
[15:25:01] *** Kooda shows as "online"
[15:26:08] *** petermount shows as "online"
[15:31:09] *** petermount shows as "online"
[15:34:46] *** petermount has left the room
[15:50:13] *** emcho has left the room
[16:13:44] *** bear shows as "away" and his status message is "I am away from my desk. Leave a message."
[16:25:53] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[16:28:39] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[16:45:33] *** Florian has joined the room
[16:49:58] *** Kev shows as "away" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[16:50:13] *** Kev shows as "online" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[16:57:34] *** will.sheward has joined the room
[17:01:46] <will.sheward> Board meeting?
[17:02:02] <stpeter> I thought so :)
[17:02:15] <Kev> So says my calendar.
[17:02:23] <stpeter> mine too
[17:02:39] <will.sheward> It's not in the calendar but I think we said we'd have one today
[17:02:52] <Kev> I see it in the calendar.
[17:02:57] <stpeter> as do I
[17:02:59] <stpeter> anyway
[17:03:33] *stpeter pings bear
[17:03:49] <will.sheward> So, I can't read a calendar, no surprise :-)
[17:03:56] <Kev> Bear was there a few minutes ago when I pinged him about GSoC things.
[17:04:26] <stpeter> heh
[17:04:31] <stpeter> maybe he stepped away
[17:05:08] <bear> sorry - traffic - back-hoe operator decided to drive his rig into the hole he was filling instead of putting dirt into it
[17:05:16] <stpeter> heh
[17:05:26] *** bear shows as "online"
[17:05:53] <bear> the only item I know of is gsoc followup and one other thing (/me digs thru notes)
[17:06:08] <stpeter> we also have http://tracker.xmpp.org/browse/TRADEMARKS-1 and http://tracker.xmpp.org/browse/TRADEMARKS-2
[17:06:16] <bear> that's it
[17:06:35] <will.sheward> I should mention that my trying to do the sponsors stuff on the site caused Athena to explode.
[17:06:46] *stpeter consults http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/2011-April/006262.html
[17:06:51] <will.sheward> I'll try again tomorrow
[17:07:22] <bear> so the trademark and gsoc are what I can see as needing discussion
[17:07:24] <stpeter> we'll plan for that :P
[17:07:36] <stpeter> I have only 2 trademark applications right now
[17:07:45] <stpeter> I was expecting a third but it hasn't come in yet
[17:08:11] <bear> starts editing http://typewith.me/SVrlCVhbyQ
[17:09:01] <stpeter> I invited Jack
[17:09:01] <Neustradamus> will.sheward: have you think at me ? :D
[17:09:21] <stpeter> I don't see Nÿco online
[17:09:34] <stpeter> Florian appears to be here but no activity from him in the room :)
[17:10:29] <Florian> hiya :)
[17:10:34] <bear> :)
[17:10:38] <will.sheward> Insert obvious student joke here
[17:11:14] <stpeter> heehee
[17:11:43] *stpeter reads http://typewith.me/SVrlCVhbyQ instead of this room
[17:11:58] <bear> i'm typing ahead in the document while waiting :)
[17:12:13] <stpeter> heh, yes
[17:12:15] <Florian> heeh
[17:12:18] <Florian> *hehe
[17:12:32] <bear> shall we start?
[17:12:39] <stpeter> sure
[17:12:42] <stpeter> I pinged Jack
[17:13:11] <bear> ok, gsoc update
[17:13:22] <bear> - we have 7 slots but only good activity on 4 of them - the other 3 we have a deadline of tonight for mentor/student response or we will toss them back to the pool
- duplication process starts today and ends in IRC discussion Friday

[17:13:41] <bear> kev may have more info but that's it in a nutshell
[17:13:47] <will.sheward> That seems clear enough
[17:13:53] <Kev> WFM.
[17:14:12] <bear> so far we have no duplicates - so friday will be easy(ish)
[17:14:17] <Florian> right
[17:14:18] <bear> k, trademarks
[17:14:46] <Kev> (There are, I think, more than 4 good proposals, but several are for Swift, and we only have mentoring capacity for two)
[17:15:26] <stpeter> ah, now I remember the third trademark licensing application -- I'll add that one soon
[17:15:36] <will.sheward> Only 2 in total or 2 suitable as swift mentors?
[17:16:08] <Kev> will.sheward: Remko and I can each mentor one student. So even if the XSF has several good Swift proposals (and it has), we have to only accept two.
[17:16:35] <Kev> Other projects seem to have fewer good proposals than mentoring capacity.
[17:16:42] <will.sheward> Ok
[17:16:55] *bear adds the note that website update was scuttled because of hardware issues
[17:17:37] <will.sheward> That's my excuse, yes
[17:17:52] <bear> consider myself the bad habit enabler ;)
[17:17:52] <Kev> I have AOB about that, btw.
[17:18:13] <bear> do you want to bring that up now?
[17:19:25] <bear> k, anything else about gsoc?
[17:19:29] <Kev> Can do - just that athena is, to quote Edwin, 'a ticking timebomb'. Iteam is coming up with a rough plan to start mirroring the website so Bad Things can't happen again, probably to the machine Florian is currently donating over in Flosoft. We are also likely to ask Board to find some money, or some sponsor to replace the hardware (athena) in the bunker.
[17:19:33] <bear> hahaha
[17:20:03] <Florian> right
[17:20:05] <Kev> Just as a heads-up.
[17:20:19] <Kev> This way we'd have one machine in the usual place, and one machine over in Europe for hosting the website.
[17:20:26] <will.sheward> Ticking is ok, it's when it stops we have a problem
[17:20:35] *bear nods
[17:20:39] <Kev> will.sheward: Like Friday, you mean?
[17:20:44] <stpeter> having things in different places seems sensible
[17:21:09] <Florian> right
[17:21:14] <Kev> stpeter: Picasso agrees :)
[17:21:17] <bear> do we know what the load is for current athena so we can get a suitable device at flosoft?
[17:21:17] <stpeter> it's not clear to me if we need a dedicated machine for websites or whether that could be hosted virtually
[17:21:18] <Kev> Or would agree, rather.
[17:21:38] <Kev> bear: The point being we don't want to replace athena with a machine at Flosoft. We want new hardware.
[17:21:47] <Kev> Then we'd mirror to the box we already have at Flosoft :)
[17:21:55] <bear> I was just talking about what parameters would be required for cpu and disk
[17:22:16] <Kev> Athena is ooooold, I imagine any modern system would cope with the base website.
[17:22:20] <bear> i.e. is it a monster box that has tons of page hits or can we do with a virtual machine?
[17:22:26] <Kev> The addons like the Atlassian stuff is another matter.
[17:22:29] <Florian> looking at the machine .. any Core CPU ... with redundant HDDs
[17:22:50] <bear> k, then we could have a master with replicated mysql on the public facing frontend
[17:23:17] <bear> but it sounds like iteam has that in hand
[17:23:48] <Kev> Not really - we're just starting discussing stuff. It was a heads-up largely so no-one gets surprised if we ask for a new server in a while.
[17:24:06] <bear> k
[17:24:07] <Kev> (Or in case we ask in a while and someone says "Oh, I was chatting to HP the other day, if only I knew!")
[17:25:11] <will.sheward> If we find a machine somewhere, we will let you know
[17:25:29] <bear> can we get iteam to give a report by next board meeting (or a future one)
[17:25:36] <stpeter> ok I posted the trademark applications to the Board list
[17:25:55] <stpeter> I'll see what I can do about sourcing a machine
[17:26:02] <stpeter> I do have some contacts at HP
[17:26:05] <bear> cool
[17:26:12] <stpeter> and someone at Dell just asked for a password reset at jabber.org :)
[17:26:23] <Kev> Haha.
[17:26:25] <will.sheward> There will no be short break from me while I fail to find a seat on my train
[17:26:31] <bear> that's one heck of a processing fee ;)
[17:26:39] <stpeter> bear: :)
[17:26:50] <Florian> lol
[17:27:00] <stpeter> BTW I did IM with Jack and he is on a phone call that he can't pull away from
[17:27:10] <bear> I'll email iteam asking if they could summarize what the issue is and what the plan will be
[17:27:20] <stpeter> bear: good
[17:27:26] <Kev> bear: Right, we'll get that done eventually :)
[17:27:36] <bear> understood :)
[17:29:21] <stpeter> http://xmpp.org/about-xmpp/xsf/jabber-trademark/pending-applications/ updated too
[17:29:30] <bear> thanks
[17:30:56] <bear> ok, at 30 minutes past - anything else need chewing on?
[17:31:08] <Florian> not from my end
[17:31:21] <will.sheward> Not here
[17:31:30] <stpeter> next meeting>
[17:31:31] <stpeter> ?
[17:31:37] <Florian> 2 weeks from now?
[17:31:43] <Florian> Trademark stuff on the list?
[17:31:47] <bear> if we follow the original original schedule - it's next week - but i'm good for 2 weeks
[17:32:05] <bear> gsoc, trademark and athena followup?
[17:32:08] <stpeter> next week I can join from the airport, two weeks from now I'll be on a plane
[17:32:18] <Florian> ah
[17:32:25] <will.sheward> That's a heck of a boarding queue
[17:32:26] <stpeter> s/can/might be able to/ :)
[17:32:27] <bear> let's do a quick one next week
[17:32:39] <will.sheward> Ok
[17:32:40] <stpeter> will.sheward: :P
[17:32:43] <Florian> ok :)
[17:32:53] *bear raises gavel
[17:32:58] <bear> kev?
[17:33:04] <Kev> Yes?
[17:33:09] *stpeter updates the calendar
[17:33:12] <bear> any objections to next week?
[17:33:19] <will.sheward> None her
[17:33:25] <will.sheward> Here
[17:33:26] <Kev> I have no objections. I'm not on Board, though :)
[17:33:30] <bear> doh!
[17:33:34] <will.sheward> Lol
[17:33:34] *bear bangs gavel
[17:33:50] <bear> thanks all for good meeting!
[17:34:02] <will.sheward> See you all next week
[17:34:31] *** will.sheward has left the room
[17:34:36] <Florian> great .. cyall later :)
[17:34:50] <stpeter> thanks
[17:34:58] <stpeter> calendars updated for Board and Council
[17:35:08] <stpeter> brb
[17:36:26] *** Florian has left the room
[17:38:59] <Kev> stpeter: Thanks.
[17:39:31] <stpeter> no, thank you :)
[17:44:23] *** Tobias has joined the room
[17:44:26] <stpeter> ok
[17:44:45] <stpeter> going AFK for a bit to finish reviewing the vCard4 specs
[17:53:46] *** Tobias has left the room
[17:54:25] *** Tobias has joined the room
[18:28:08] *** Tobias has left the room
[18:31:49] *** Ludovic shows as "dnd"
[18:40:47] <bear> kev - can we contact waqas to hash this out before our deadline?
[18:40:53] <Kev> Yep.
[18:41:07] <Kev> I am doing so at the moment, in fact.
[18:41:07] <bear> I don't see him in jdev
[18:41:15] <bear> oh - perfect - then let me get out of your way
[18:41:16] <bear> ta
[19:01:35] *** Tobias has joined the room
[19:04:36] *** Kooda shows as "dnd"
[19:18:35] *** Tobias has left the room
[19:18:43] *** Tobias has joined the room
[19:18:44] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[19:19:01] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[19:33:02] *** Tobias shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[19:35:37] *** Tobias shows as "online"
[19:35:58] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[19:36:04] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[19:36:50] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[20:07:26] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[20:09:35] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[20:09:53] *** luca tagliaferri shows as "dnd" and his status message is "Luca - Rim 3-0"
[20:13:43] *** Ludovic shows as "online"
[20:16:40] *** Tobias shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[20:17:40] *** Tobias shows as "online"
[20:50:50] *** Kooda shows as "online"
[20:51:23] *** Ludovic has left the room
[21:07:48] <Neustradamus> http://xmpp.org/xmpp-protocols/internet-drafts/ and http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Tech_pages/Core are not updated.
[21:10:39] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[21:12:56] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[21:12:58] <Neustradamus> http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Technology_overview too
[21:22:58] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[21:38:54] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[21:49:02] *** Tobias shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[21:54:31] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[21:54:32] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[22:04:29] *** Tobias shows as "online"
[22:06:12] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[22:06:54] *** Kev shows as "away" and his status message is "http://swift.im/releases/swift-1.0/"
[22:12:09] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[22:14:51] *** Tobias shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[22:15:37] *** Tobias shows as "online"
[23:24:55] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[23:31:46] *** Kooda shows as "xa" and his status message is "détaché"
[23:41:21] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[23:42:58] *** stpeter has left the room
[23:51:29] *** Tobias has left the room