Wednesday, November 23, 2011
xsf@muc.xmpp.org
November
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
  1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
       
             
XSF Discussion | Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/ | Agenda https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings

[00:15:42] *** dwd shows as "online"
[00:20:44] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[00:30:44] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[06:23:50] *** dwd shows as "online"
[06:52:43] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[07:02:42] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[08:08:29] *** dwd shows as "online"
[08:22:05] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[08:26:16] *** koski has joined the room
[08:32:05] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[08:34:46] *** Tobias has joined the room
[08:34:47] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[08:50:43] *** Tobias has left the room
[08:53:14] *** Tobias has joined the room
[08:53:15] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[08:54:43] *** koski shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[09:07:32] *** koski shows as "online"
[09:23:10] *** Tobias has left the room
[09:23:24] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[09:23:54] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[09:31:33] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[09:40:41] *** Tobias has joined the room
[09:40:41] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[09:49:27] *** Tobias has left the room
[09:49:56] *** Tobias has joined the room
[09:49:56] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[10:18:27] *** Tobias has left the room
[10:46:58] *** Tobias has joined the room
[10:46:58] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[10:48:06] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[10:52:05] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[11:03:14] *** luca tagliaferri shows as "dnd" and his status message is "(raptus programmandi )"
[11:13:19] *** koski shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[11:18:06] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[11:20:06] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[11:33:20] *** koski shows as "xa" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[12:04:09] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[12:08:06] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[12:31:48] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[12:52:18] *** koski shows as "online"
[13:07:02] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[13:44:09] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[13:52:06] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[13:58:06] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[14:08:45] *** MiGri shows as "away" and his status message is "I'm not at the computer but I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[14:14:06] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[14:14:06] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[15:36:37] *** koski shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[15:46:29] *** koski shows as "online"
[16:11:33] *** dwd shows as "online"
[16:14:04] *** koski has left the room
[16:19:15] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[16:21:28] *** koski has joined the room
[16:21:35] *** koski has left the room
[16:23:37] *** stpeter has joined the room
[16:25:46] *** Ashley Roach has joined the room
[16:25:46] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[16:27:30] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[16:28:05] <stpeter> hi Ashley!
[16:28:12] <Ashley Roach> hey!
[16:28:41] <stpeter> it seems that Florian won't be able to make it
[16:28:48] <stpeter> I don't have a JID for Chris Christou
[16:29:15] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[16:29:20] *** Ashley has joined the room
[16:29:21] *** Ashley Roach has joined the room
[16:29:21] *** Ashley has joined the room
[16:30:01] <Ashley> On the good news front, I've made some progress with the marketing folks at Cisco per my earlier email
[16:30:29] *** bear shows as "online"
[16:30:34] <stpeter> I admit to being out of the loop because of my trip to Taipei last week
[16:30:46] <Ashley> sure, of course :)
[16:32:11] <stpeter> aha, there's a JID for Chris at http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Chris_Christou_for_Board_2011
[16:32:31] *** Ashley Roach has joined the room
[16:32:31] *** Ashley has joined the room
[16:33:01] <Kev> Ashley: I note that you're using a gmail.com JID, and that service has bugs that prevent proper working with MUC rooms.
[16:33:22] <Kev> Ashley: particularly, you're going to be changing nicks every five minutes until you log off, now.
[16:33:35] <Ashley> oh goodie
[16:33:37] <Kev> Or three minutes, or whatever their timer is set to.
[16:33:57] <Kev> I suggest you don't change nicknames in a MUC room while using a Google Talk account.
[16:34:19] <Kev> (Well, actually, I suggest not using Google Talk accounts with MUC at all, but the above is a more moderate suggestion)
[16:34:53] *** Much Better Ashley has joined the room
[16:34:56] *** Ashley has left the room
[16:34:56] *** Ashley Roach has joined the room
[16:35:02] <Much Better Ashley> ok
[16:36:05] <stpeter> haha
[16:36:31] <stpeter> Ashley Roach: you might be happier with your @cisco.com JID :)
[16:36:50] <Much Better Ashley> yeah, i guess that'd work too
[16:36:59] <Kev> For the benefit of us plebs without such priviledged information, are we expecting a meeting today? (i.e. do we have apologies from anyone etc.)
[16:37:30] <bear> today was a "hi, i'm Foo" meeting with some minimal discussion if enough showed up
[16:37:33] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[16:37:44] *** waqas has joined the room
[16:37:53] <bear> I wasn't expecting anything formal except, maybe, a meeting time decision
[16:38:18] <Kev> I have an agenda request for the first formal meeting :)
[16:38:22] <stpeter> heh
[16:38:47] <Kev> I'd like to split the board list in two, so we have board@xmpp.org and board-incamera@xmpp.org or such.
[16:39:21] <Kev> And that while the second list (not open) is available when necessary, mundane things like meeting schedules and apologies and the like are all handled on the former, which would be open (for subscribing and reading).
[16:40:22] <Kev> (I'm not convinced that a great amount of the Board discussion needs to be in camera, but at least this provides a means to it where necessary)
[16:40:42] <bear> sounds like a great discussion for our first meeting :)
[16:41:10] <stpeter> ok, finished with my W3C conference call, now I have more attention
[16:41:33] <Kev> It also provides a means for interested parties to track discussions where (shock, horror, it could never happen) there's the possibility of Board maybe dropping the ball on something, such that they can effectively chase progress.
[16:41:44] <Kev> On top of the obvious openness.
[16:42:09] *** Tobias has joined the room
[16:42:19] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[16:42:25] <stpeter> I'm all in favor of transparency
[16:42:34] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[16:42:37] <Kev> Well done Tobias, there's now as many Council members at the first Board meeting as there are Board members :D
[16:42:44] <stpeter> another option is to have most of the discussion on the members@ list
[16:42:49] <Tobias> Kev, yay
[16:42:56] <stpeter> and use board@ for truly private matters
[16:43:10] <Kev> stpeter: I have no problem with board having a non-noisey list to which us plebs can't post, if that's what they'd like.
[16:43:17] <bear> +1 to that option
[16:43:26] <Kev> bear: Which option
[16:43:27] <Kev> ?
[16:43:50] <bear> very little the board discusses is private, no reason to not use members@ for most things and use board@ for the other
[16:43:59] <stpeter> agreed
[16:44:01] <Kev> That works for me, naturally :)
[16:44:26] <bear> it's kinda how we were leaning towards the end of last term
[16:44:31] <Much Better Ashley> i like the idea of using the members list, would we add [board] to the subject?
[16:44:33] <bear> so we should just start that way with this board
[16:44:52] <bear> ashley - that would work
[16:45:00] <Kev> Much Better Ashley: That seems a sensible suggestion. Or just obvious subject lines like "Board agenda" :)
[16:45:23] <Much Better Ashley> the other possibility, but adds work, is to post board minutes and the like to the members list
[16:45:40] <Kev> Much Better Ashley: I want realtime access, rather than belated :)
[16:45:47] <Kev> The minutes already get posted.
[16:45:47] <Much Better Ashley> seems like extra overhead that none of us would really want to do anyway
[16:46:07] *** Will has joined the room
[16:46:11] <Much Better Ashley> Kev: k
[16:46:34] <stpeter> WFM
[16:46:41] <stpeter> well, we even have former Board members here ;-)
[16:47:24] <Much Better Ashley> so, to summarize use members@ for majority of conversation; board@ is for private or coordination
[16:47:35] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[16:47:35] <Kev> Much Better Ashley: s/or coordination//
[16:48:34] <Much Better Ashley> ok
[16:48:44] <stpeter> Kev: we might want to talk about culling the number of @xmpp.org lists sometime, too -- do we really need ws-xmpp@xmpp.org for instance? ;-)
[16:48:49] <Kev> (If by coordination you mean things like arranging meetings, etc. I hadn't realised there was a board meeting now, for example, nor even after I'd noticed it in the calendar did I know which Board members were expecting to turn up :))
[16:49:05] <stpeter> Kev: right, exactly
[16:49:06] <Kev> stpeter: I'm all up for a cull.
[16:49:52] <bear> kev - the first meeting was tough because of travel, holidays, etc - and today was more of a "hey, peter is available, let's do it"
[16:50:00] <Kev> Right.
[16:50:12] <Kev> But by discussing this in public, us mere Members would know this :)
[16:51:03] *** MattJ has joined the room
[16:52:17] <stpeter> Kev: do we really need the council@ list? coordination items could be discussed on the standards@ list :)
[16:52:35] *stpeter foresees the day when we have only two lists, standards@ and members@ :)
[16:52:36] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[16:52:43] <MattJ> I like jdev
[16:53:03] <stpeter> that's at jabber.org :P
[16:53:08] <MattJ> Good point :)
[16:53:20] <Kev> stpeter: If people want to do that, I'm not strictly opposed.
[16:53:27] <MattJ> Me neither, to be honest
[16:53:43] <waqas> By the way, can someone delete the board@muc.xmpp.org room, if board meetings are supposed to be here?
[16:53:46] <Kev> I have a slight concern with whether it'd get noisey.
[16:54:03] <Kev> (Which is also why I proposed opening the Board list, rather than having everything on members@)
[16:54:07] <stpeter> I'll take a look at http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo sometime soon
[16:54:16] *** waqas has left the room
[16:54:27] <Kev> But as long as we keep the option to revert to council@ if it gets silly I certainly don't have a problem with a trial on standards@
[16:54:29] *** waqas has joined the room
[16:54:58] <stpeter> Kev: I realize that people can subscribe to council@ but somehow I doubt they do :)
[16:55:14] <Kev> Maybe that's ok, though, if they don't care.
[16:55:33] <stpeter> waqas: MattJ can do that, I think
[16:55:39] *stpeter checks to see if he has perms
[16:55:46] *MattJ nods, I'll do it now
[16:55:58] <stpeter> thanks, MattJ!
[16:57:36] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[16:57:43] <stpeter> Kev: but I suppose I can bring up Council communication policies in the Council meeting :)
[16:58:01] <Kev> You can, as long as you don't take it over 30 minutes.
[16:58:25] <stpeter> :P
[16:58:31] *** Will has left the room
[16:58:49] *stpeter needs to install a jabber client on his shiny new iphone
[16:58:58] *bear gavels the unstarted board meeting closed
[16:59:03] *stpeter laughs
[16:59:04] <Kev> bear: Thanks :D
[16:59:17] <stpeter> this was just a sound check, it seems
[16:59:33] <bear> I know how much the Council loves punctuality and short meetings :)
[17:00:23] <Much Better Ashley> is the xsf meeting in Feb 2012 happening?
[17:00:37] <Kev> I believe so.
[17:00:44] <Kev> Or, at least, there's a discussion about it later today :)
[17:00:59] <stpeter> anyway there will be various FOSDEM activities
[17:01:05] <Much Better Ashley> k, i don't see it yet on the world wide webs, and i'm seeing if i can get cisco to sponsor something
[17:01:17] <Kev> I don't suppose Cisco have London offices instead? :D
[17:01:27] <stpeter> whether there will be more than that (e.g., Friday and Monday meetings), remains to be seen
[17:01:29] <Much Better Ashley> i have no idea
[17:01:38] <Much Better Ashley> but i have to imagine they do
[17:01:39] <stpeter> Cisco has offices everywhere
[17:01:47] <Kev> (I have a long standing grumble about Brussels not being my favourite place, but truth be told I'm lazy and don't like travelling to foreign climes)
[17:01:55] <stpeter> there's a fairly big office north of London, IIRC
[17:02:32] <Much Better Ashley> i was thinking along the lines of schwag and/or something related to hackathon/dev challenge
[17:02:32] <stpeter> we almost held an IESG retreat there, but the office was closed for the Royal Wedding™
[17:02:38] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:03:15] <Tobias> hahaha
[17:03:26] <Much Better Ashley> maybe a t-shirt like — i participated in this hackathon, and all i got was a lousy t-shirt
[17:03:31] <Much Better Ashley> :D
[17:03:52] <Much Better Ashley> but hopefully something a little more enticing
[17:04:15] <stpeter> Much Better Ashley: we can always give a Cius ;-)
[17:04:23] <Much Better Ashley> anyway, sounds like i can press ahead, and we'll see what i can get
[17:04:35] <Much Better Ashley> stpeter: you joke, but that's one of my options :)
[17:04:45] <Much Better Ashley> it has xmpp on board i hear
[17:07:39] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:08:41] *** Kooda shows as "online"
[17:12:41] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:13:40] <Much Better Ashley> are we done?
[17:13:52] <stpeter> yes
[17:14:01] <stpeter> we've all moved to the council@ chatroom :)
[17:14:12] <Much Better Ashley> ADD board
[17:14:53] <bear> :)
[17:15:19] <bear> if this time works for the US side of the house, then we need to confirm that it's ok for the EU side
[17:15:22] <Much Better Ashley> :D
[17:15:35] <Much Better Ashley> works great for me
[17:16:04] <bear> me also, and I think sans holiday-travel-burnout, it works for peter
[17:16:15] <stpeter> yepper
[17:17:11] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:17:12] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:17:42] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:20:07] *** stpeter shows as "dnd" and his status message is "in a meeting"
[17:22:43] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:27:11] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:27:11] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:27:44] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:32:45] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:33:08] *** stpeter shows as "xa" and his status message is "away from keyboard, bbl"
[17:37:47] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:42:48] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:47:49] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:52:43] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:52:43] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:52:46] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "online"
[17:52:46] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:52:49] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[17:57:50] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:02:52] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:05:00] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:05:00] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:07:03] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "online"
[18:07:03] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:07:52] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:12:53] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:14:08] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[18:15:18] *** MattJ shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[18:17:55] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:19:25] *** dwd shows as "online"
[18:22:56] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:25:18] *** MattJ shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[18:27:56] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:32:57] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:34:22] *** MiGri shows as "away" and his status message is "I'm not at the computer but I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[18:37:27] *** Tobias has joined the room
[18:37:28] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[18:37:59] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:43:00] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:45:57] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[18:48:02] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:53:02] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[18:55:57] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[18:58:04] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:03:05] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:04:17] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:04:17] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:06:22] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[19:08:07] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:09:50] *** Steffen Larsen has joined the room
[19:09:50] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:12:46] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:13:08] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:14:17] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:14:17] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:17:49] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:18:09] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:21:06] *** MattJ shows as "online"
[19:22:52] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:23:10] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:23:32] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[19:23:43] *** Florian has joined the room
[19:23:44] *** Florian shows as "online"
[19:23:49] <Florian> hi there
[19:25:49] <MattJ> Hi
[19:25:53] <MattJ> Is the FOSDEM meeting in here?
[19:27:54] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:28:12] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:30:06] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[19:32:06] <Florian> there's a FOSDEM meeting?
[19:32:51] <Steffen Larsen> in 30 minutes
[19:32:57] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:33:13] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:33:18] <Florian> ah yes, it seems that's today
[19:33:49] <MattJ> I don't think a venue was mentioned, but I'm assuming it's here
[19:34:19] <MattJ> I wonder if stpeter remembers :)
[19:34:59] <Steffen Larsen> have to check my mail
[19:35:54] <Steffen Larsen> no.. there was no muc in the mail
[19:36:09] <Steffen Larsen> but i assume it is here
[19:37:37] *** Steffen Larsen has left the room
[19:38:14] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:40:07] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[19:42:41] *** Steffen Larsen has joined the room
[19:42:41] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:43:15] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:47:03] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:48:16] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:51:10] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:51:10] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:52:05] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:52:20] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:52:20] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:53:17] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[19:55:55] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[19:57:08] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[19:57:09] <stpeter> yep, this is the place, sorry about not mentioning a venue
[19:58:18] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:02:10] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:03:19] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:04:12] <stpeter> well....
[20:04:16] *stpeter invites ralphm
[20:05:29] *** ralphm has joined the room
[20:05:39] <ralphm> HI!
[20:05:42] <Florian> evening all
[20:05:43] <MattJ> LO!
[20:05:45] <stpeter> hey Ralph
[20:05:50] <stpeter> now the party can begin :)
[20:05:54] <ralphm> I appear to be experiencing some lag
[20:07:14] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:07:23] <ralphm> So...
[20:07:37] <ralphm> FOSDEM 2012, the place to be
[20:07:44] <stpeter> indeed
[20:08:17] <ralphm> We have secured a Devroom on Saturday.
[20:08:20] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:08:21] <stpeter> maybe this year we can send in our devroom schedule on time ;-)
[20:08:26] <ralphm> Indeed
[20:09:00] <stpeter> linuxwolf said he could give a talk about end-to-end encryption (everyone's favorite topic)
[20:10:17] <ralphm> The deadline for submission of our schedule to the FOSDEM crew is 21 January
[20:10:25] <stpeter> right
[20:10:36] <stpeter> so we need to start recruiting early
[20:10:47] <ralphm> So I think we should close submissions around the 7th
[20:10:54] <stpeter> yes
[20:12:00] <stpeter> ralphm: how many talks to we need? I assume we have only the morning or only the afternoon
[20:12:05] <stpeter> s/to/do/
[20:12:15] <ralphm> Unlike other years, we should be able to use 8 hours in the room
[20:12:16] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:12:20] <stpeter> wow
[20:12:28] <stpeter> not sure we have that much to say ;-)
[20:12:40] <MattJ> Oh dear, does this mean I don't get away with not submitting a talk?
[20:12:49] <stpeter> MattJ: correct!
[20:13:21] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:14:54] <stpeter> I suppose that someone might be able to give the traditional "XMPP 101" talk :)
[20:15:09] <stpeter> I am not yet sure if I will travel to FOSDEM
[20:15:10] <Florian> :)
[20:15:15] <Florian> Remko?
[20:15:23] <stpeter> but probably I'll end up being there
[20:15:51] <ralphm> they aren't sure yet about the exact times, but they figure they should be able to open the rooms at 9:30 or 10:00, to ensure session can start at 10:30, and the rooms will be closed at 18:30
[20:16:00] <stpeter> ok
[20:16:22] <Florian> we have the whole day?
[20:16:49] <stpeter> Florian: so it seems
[20:17:19] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:17:31] <ralphm> https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/devroom-managers/2011-November/000000.html gives some background information
[20:18:18] <ralphm> So this is really cool
[20:18:22] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:19:18] <ralphm> As for the room itself, this year it will be H.2213, which is in the H building, the same building that the registration desk is at.
[20:19:55] <MattJ> Fun
[20:20:48] <Steffen Larsen> why not H.264? ;-)
[20:20:56] <ralphm> Heh.
[20:20:59] <stpeter> :)
[20:21:10] <ralphm> I believe this room is one level above the hallways
[20:21:18] <ralphm> it has 100 seats
[20:21:33] <stpeter> it would be nice to have something related to xmpp and the web -- how to use some of the javascript libraries to do simple things like embed presence or basic chat in a web page
[20:21:39] <ralphm> If anyone has been to the MySQL devroom last year, it is that room.
[20:22:22] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:22:51] <stpeter> maybe I'll play around with some of the bot frameworks (I've been meaning to anyway) and give a talk about fun things you can do with bots in chatrooms (although other people are more qualified to talk about such things than I am :)
[20:23:11] <ralphm> Heh
[20:23:12] <Steffen Larsen> or components maybe
[20:23:24] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:23:27] <stpeter> Steffen Larsen: are you volunteering? ;-)
[20:23:57] <stpeter> ok
[20:23:57] <Steffen Larsen> stpeter: heh.. my GF will kill me if I go.. we just bought a house, and we are getting the keys at 1.feb. :-)
[20:23:59] <MattJ> brb, I have a pesky cat that wants feeding
[20:24:20] <stpeter> ralphm: is there anything else we need to plan? e.g., the stand?
[20:24:39] *** waqas has left the room
[20:24:42] <ralphm> I think it might be fruitful to give a list of suggestions of topics that people might want to submit a talk for
[20:24:47] <Steffen Larsen> but i really wanted to do a presentation.. let me see if i can do something about it
[20:25:02] <stpeter> Steffen Larsen: whatever works for you
[20:25:31] <ralphm> I've seen that done in other devrooms' call for participation
[20:25:41] <stpeter> ralphm: yes
[20:25:58] <ralphm> and then that call should be sent out
[20:26:00] <stpeter> how about a talk about the billion laughs attack?
[20:26:02] <Florian> how about the stands?
[20:26:07] <Florian> did we apply?
[20:26:11] *** MiGri shows as "away" and his status message is "I'm not at the computer but I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[20:26:17] <ralphm> on the FOSDEM mailinglist, our own list(s) and on the site
[20:26:24] <ralphm> ok, stands
[20:26:29] <ralphm> we did *not* yet apply
[20:26:30] <stpeter> ralphm: agreed
[20:26:43] <ralphm> and this has to do with people with plans for doing stuff
[20:26:53] <Florian> are applications open?
[20:26:54] <ralphm> I'm looking at dwd and florian here
[20:27:14] <ralphm> Applications are open already, but I wanted to have a good story ready before the actual submission.
[20:27:18] <Florian> dwd and I talked about it a few weeks ago
[20:27:25] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:27:42] <Florian> to do something different ... i.e. get a sort of "lounge"y space
[20:27:47] <Florian> so no table, but nice chairs
[20:27:53] <Florian> and some projectors
[20:28:15] <stpeter> do such spaces exist?
[20:28:21] <ralphm> the submission deadline is Dec 13.
[20:28:25] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:28:26] <Florian> ok
[20:28:48] <ralphm> Usually, 'stands' are one table, but you can also request two
[20:28:50] <Florian> the space could be anywhere, we just remove the "table"
[20:28:54] <stpeter> heh
[20:29:02] *** MattJ shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[20:29:08] <ralphm> depending how good of a plan we have, we might want to request two
[20:29:13] <ralphm> to have enough space to pull this off
[20:29:18] <Florian> right
[20:29:47] <ralphm> stpeter: I'm not sure. Some things will be done differently this year.
[20:29:48] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:29:48] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:29:52] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "online"
[20:29:52] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:29:57] <stpeter> ok
[20:30:04] <ralphm> I don't think the normal hallways would be very suitable for this, though.
[20:30:08] <stpeter> it's not necessary to do everything the same way every year :)
[20:30:32] <ralphm> I like the lounge idea.
[20:30:49] <Florian> ralphm: could you find out if we'd be allowed to offer coffee?
[20:30:50] <stpeter> BTW, the federated social web folks did not get a room but might want to be active -- we could think about giving them some time on our 8-hour agenda
[20:30:54] *** MattJ shows as "online"
[20:31:14] <Florian> stpeter: sounds good
[20:31:19] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[20:31:30] <ralphm> stpeter: yes, indeed. Did someone contact you about this?
[20:31:56] <stpeter> ralphm: no, I just noticed a thread about it on their w3c.org list
[20:32:15] <stpeter> forwarding to members@xmpp.org
[20:32:28] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:32:32] <ralphm> hm, I'm not actually on that list
[20:32:53] *** dwd shows as "online"
[20:33:26] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:33:32] <stpeter> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/
[20:34:06] <stpeter> there's a link on that page (it's a mailto: URL)
[20:34:15] <Florian> ok, so for the stands, does anyone else have some ideas?
[20:34:55] <stpeter> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-federatedsocialweb/2011Nov/0017.html
[20:35:08] <stpeter> I too like the lounge idea
[20:35:32] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:35:32] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:35:34] <Florian> "The Real-time Lounge
[20:35:35] <Florian> "
[20:35:37] <stpeter> heh
[20:36:08] <Florian> with some XMPP demos on projectors
[20:36:20] <Florian> something like jack's Wall of Porn
[20:36:38] <Florian> or anything else that's awesome and uses XMPP
[20:36:47] <dwd> Evening. Sorry I'm asoutndingly late. My meeting overan. By a few hours.
[20:36:48] <Florian> preferably with which the FOSDEM users can interact with
[20:36:58] <stpeter> I wish I could get someone from http://www.skyalert.org/ to give a talk :)
[20:37:31] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:38:20] <stpeter> so that's one action item: find cool things to demonstrate
[20:38:27] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:38:43] <dwd> Right. Cool things, which needn't be *technically* cool. Just cool to look at.
[20:38:50] <stpeter> right :)
[20:39:41] <dwd> Ralph mentioned he could spin up some realtime social network stream, which sounded like a crowd-pleaser.
[20:40:00] <stpeter> yeah, everyone is getting so social these days....
[20:40:25] <ralphm> Yes, I'll see if I can put that up, as I will be leaving Mediamatic Lab.
[20:40:29] <stpeter> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jabberpad/id372857200?mt=8 might be a fun thing to demo
[20:40:32] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:40:32] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:40:40] <stpeter> although I don't have an iPad (yet)
[20:40:58] <Florian> I have one
[20:41:41] <dwd> Bear in mind we need to at least pretend the stuff we're demoing is open source, or uses open source, or something.
[20:42:33] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:42:43] <stpeter> that app might be open source, I can't remember
[20:42:44] <MattJ> stpeter, the whole world was anti-social before Twitter
[20:42:57] <MattJ> Nobody ever spoke to anyone else
[20:43:13] <ralphm> dwd: indeed
[20:43:15] <stpeter> MattJ: so true, and I long for the good old days :P
[20:43:23] <dwd> MattJ, TO be fair, I still try not to.
[20:43:29] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:43:49] <ralphm> dwd: although in our case, open protocols is good, too
[20:44:00] <stpeter> do we want or need to hold a hackfest or summit before or after FOSDEM itself?
[20:44:06] <Much Better Ashley> alternatively, could we spin up a prototype/demo that could be the subject of a talk — maybe that's what dwd said though
[20:44:36] <ralphm> stpeter: I think so, yes
[20:44:37] <Much Better Ashley> i'd like to see an open version of turntable.fm using xmpp
[20:44:52] <Florian> that would be awesome
[20:45:03] <Florian> especially as turntable.fm is not available in the UK
[20:45:43] <stpeter> ralphm: I was hoping we'd have made some progress on the XMPP validator before then so that we could make it the focus of hacking, but alas that might not be possible at this point
[20:46:24] <Florian> ah ... speaking of XMPP Validator
[20:46:34] <Florian> should we do the Summit on Friday / Monday?
[20:46:43] <dwd> Given we have free 3G in Brussels (I assume, Florian?), we might be able to knock up a demo involving Buddycloud and positioning. I'd imagine we could show which XSF people were where in FOSDEM.
[20:46:52] <Florian> yup, 3G this year
[20:47:07] <dwd> Florian, Depends on whether we can get a room somewhere.
[20:47:29] <Florian> I think the Cisco venue was great
[20:47:29] <MattJ> Much Better Ashley, FWIW http://listeninghall.com/ is XMPP-based (kind of like Turntable but for YouTube)
[20:47:34] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:47:39] <Florian> any chance of getting that this year again? stpeter?
[20:47:47] <MattJ> and the client code is on github (not the server code, but I think that could be arranged)
[20:47:48] <stpeter> Florian: I assume we can do that again this year
[20:48:24] <Florian> http://listeninghall.com/#/flosoft
[20:48:28] <Florian> cooooool
[20:48:30] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:48:39] <MattJ> http://listeninghall.com/#/prosody :)
[20:49:14] *** MiGri shows as "away" and his status message is "I'm not at the computer but I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[20:49:29] <dwd> MattJ, Do you know these guys?
[20:49:33] <MattJ> Keeping tabs on XSF people around Brussels would be a useful app in its own right (based on the past couple of years)
[20:49:44] <dwd> MattJ, Yes, helps us keep an eye on them.
[20:49:46] <MattJ> dwd, guy, and yes
[20:49:49] <Florian> anyway ... getting back to the conversation :)
[20:49:53] <stpeter> right
[20:50:00] <dwd> MattJ, That's a demo candidate, right there.
[20:50:04] <MattJ> +1
[20:50:06] <Florian> yes, some mobile app that does location
[20:50:09] <Florian> on a map
[20:50:10] *dwd gets back to the conversation.
[20:50:15] <Florian> and maybe even webbrowser capable
[20:50:31] <stpeter> do we need two days for hacking/summiteering, or just one?
[20:50:37] <dwd> Florian, Possibly, but note that Buddycloud does it in text and having "Near Room H.264" might actualyl be better.
[20:50:45] <Florian> true
[20:51:01] <dwd> Florian, It should get that precise with WiFi beacons, too, I think.
[20:51:01] <ralphm> stpeter: I prefer two days outside of FOSDEM
[20:51:30] <stpeter> ralphm: yeah but do we have anything to talk about / work on?
[20:51:47] <ralphm> stpeter: do you have the feeling we ran out of topics last year?
[20:52:07] <stpeter> ralphm: well, last year we had the internationalization madness to discuss
[20:52:15] <dwd> ralphm, The usual problem isn't not talking enough, it's having anything come of it.
[20:52:19] <Florian> my head still hurts from taht
[20:52:22] <Florian> my head still hurts from that
[20:52:28] <stpeter> dwd: this is true
[20:52:35] <dwd> Florian, You are already internationalized, too.
[20:52:36] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:52:46] <ralphm> dwd: indeed. I'd like smaller, more organized sessions
[20:52:54] *Florian 's head goes boom
[20:53:03] <stpeter> ralphm: with action items and follow-through
[20:53:08] <ralphm> stpeter: ye
[20:53:09] <ralphm> s
[20:53:14] <Florian> yes, I think the S2S testing was good
[20:53:29] <stpeter> I'm sick of talking about specs :)
[20:53:32] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:53:34] <dwd> ralphm, I'm not sure that has histroically worked either. Perhaps if we concentrated on specs that are nearing Last Call, say, that might work.
[20:53:35] <Florian> maybe we should actually "book" the room this year, so that we don't get kicked out again :)
[20:53:49] <stpeter> Florian: noted!
[20:53:53] <ralphm> I've been trying to recall stuff from the little circle dissussion on pubsub+muc
[20:53:58] *dwd doesn't remember being kicked out.
[20:54:06] <stpeter> dwd: of the side room
[20:54:12] <Florian> right :)
[20:54:19] <stpeter> Florian: next time I'll book more of those side rooms
[20:54:26] <dwd> stpeter, Oh, right. That'll be why.
[20:54:46] <stpeter> I know for the BOSH testing, those guys were really just getting started
[20:54:56] <stpeter> but that's always true of testing -- set up takes a lot of time
[20:55:18] <ralphm> I think to do that properly, some of those session might need to be planned ahead of the event
[20:55:22] <stpeter> I don't particularly want to book two days of non-FOSDEM meetings if we're not going to make productive use of the time
[20:55:29] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:55:29] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:55:31] <ralphm> so people can pick what they'd like to participate in
[20:55:33] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:55:33] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:55:38] <stpeter> +1
[20:55:54] <Florian> +1
[20:57:00] <ralphm> This could also include: hack something to be shown in the lounge
[20:57:06] <stpeter> hmm, just re-reading the federated social web thread, those guys are talking about holding a one-day meeting before or after FOSDEM -- it might make sense to have that be a focus for one of the summit days (although that's not a purely xmpp topic)
[20:57:10] <ralphm> (provided we get one)
[20:57:18] <dwd> I'd be happier doing interop/hackery one day and discussion the other.
[20:57:30] <dwd> And interop - yeah, I think we'd like to do BOSH stuff.
[20:57:32] <stpeter> dwd: yeah
[20:57:40] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[20:57:48] <Florian> I agree, interop would be great
[20:57:56] <Florian> but we should get the environments set up beforehand
[20:57:58] <stpeter> BOSH is so tired, it's all about websockets these days :P
[20:57:58] <dwd> stpeter, Oh, I'd like to get the XMPP crowd together with the Federated SOcial Biscuit crowd.
[20:58:32] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[20:58:37] <dwd> stpeter, Yes, but don't count your eggs before your chickens, or possibly the other way around, as the saying might go.
[20:59:55] <Florian> so why not make the Friday: Interop / Hack only
[21:00:13] <Florian> i.e. no discussions, just small focus groups
[21:00:17] <Florian> on specific topics
[21:00:24] <Florian> tbd before the event
[21:00:29] <ralphm> nod
[21:00:34] <stpeter> Florian: that's what we've proposed in the past, but it never worked out all that well because we didn't prepare ahead of time for real interop testing or hacking
[21:01:01] <Florian> right, it would work however, if we do Interop Week the whole week
[21:01:12] <Florian> and basically end it with IRL Interop on the Friday
[21:01:52] <dwd> stpeter, We have had some experience in defining interop environments, now - we ought to be able to get our shit together (as the kids say) ahead of time.
[21:01:58] <stpeter> ok, we've been chatting here for an hour -- it sounds like we need to establish some action items and meet again in a week or two?
[21:02:13] <ralphm> yes
[21:02:23] <stpeter> I can follow up on the Cisco space
[21:02:35] <ralphm> I'd like to receive suggestions for topics to put in the call
[21:02:43] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:02:44] <dwd> stpeter, Well, we need to coordinate "demo" things. That's an action item - maybe we setup a Wiki page and announce it via blog and mailing lists?
[21:03:02] <stpeter> dwd: sure
[21:03:13] *bear frees from work and peeks in
[21:03:15] <stpeter> and also a list of hacking / interop items?
[21:03:33] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:03:51] <dwd> stpeter, Yes, that too. We'll need to arrange for a test network at The Venue, I imagine, if there is interest in interop.
[21:04:12] <stpeter> dwd: what would the test network entail?
[21:04:22] <ralphm> Yes, it is a bring-your-own-gear-but-not-wireless kinda event
[21:04:23] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:04:23] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:04:57] <stpeter> there is always a guest network at Cisco locations -- would we need something more robust?
[21:04:58] <bear> do we need a wiki page for dev room speakers and demos again?
[21:05:02] <ralphm> (FOSDEM, at least, if we want to have functioning demos, a local network would be useful)
[21:05:14] <dwd> stpeter, A switch and some network cable would do.
[21:05:20] <bear> for the last interop we needed a switch to isolate the dns and certificate servers
[21:05:23] <dwd> ralphm, Good point.
[21:05:26] <ralphm> bear: I think so, yes
[21:05:55] <ralphm> My plan was to have a list of possible topics, to be included in the Call for Participation in the Devroom.
[21:06:15] <ralphm> and then sent out that call later this week
[21:06:29] <bear> I don't mind wrangling the talk list again (the messy part of wiki updates and stuff)
[21:06:39] <ralphm> We can do something similar for our own Summit days
[21:07:04] <ralphm> bear: awesome
[21:07:16] *** MattJ shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[21:07:18] <stpeter> http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/FOSDEM_2012
[21:07:23] <ralphm> bear: we should be able to have quite some slots
[21:07:46] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:07:54] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:07:54] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:08:01] <ralphm> i.e. if would use the same slot size, we could have 16 slots
[21:08:34] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:08:40] *** MattJ shows as "online"
[21:09:18] <bear> k
[21:09:24] <ralphm> so if anyone have suggestions for topics, send me an IM
[21:09:35] <ralphm> I'll draft the Call
[21:09:48] <bear> will the interop be a different event? (or has interop even been thought of yet as an event)
[21:10:22] <ralphm> I'm not sure if we are have a definite plan on that yet
[21:10:32] <bear> k
[21:11:02] <bear> i'm loving the xmpp realtime room idea - I know the &yet dev team will be at fosdem, we should contact them for coding some sort of demo
[21:11:18] <ralphm> nice
[21:11:25] <Florian> bear: awesome idea!
[21:11:28] <dwd> bear, Could do, yes.
[21:11:44] <ralphm> I hope I can bring in my real-time backchannel stuff
[21:11:56] <ralphm> to aggregate stuff into
[21:11:58] <dwd> Florian, Also, book that Chinese. Before the Debian guys do.
[21:12:03] <bear> I don't mind at all using my flosoft servers for any of this
[21:12:05] <ralphm> heh
[21:12:12] <Florian> hah!
[21:12:29] <dwd> That's *our* restaurant. They find their own.
[21:12:31] <ralphm> Who would like to summarize this meeting?
[21:12:41] <Florian> I'm sure we can ship a few servers for demos / interop :)
[21:12:49] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:12:55] <bear> :)
[21:13:33] <MattJ> I can summarize
[21:13:35] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:13:38] <ralphm> MattJ: Thanks!
[21:13:42] <stpeter> yes, thanks
[21:14:14] <stpeter> that reminds me, we need to get http://xmpp.org:5290/muc_log/muc.xmpp.org/xsf/ working again
[21:14:19] <ralphm> I'm going to contact Pascal about possibilities to do a lounge kinda thing
[21:14:31] <stpeter> ralphm: thanks
[21:14:37] <MattJ> stpeter, yep, on my todo (for this evening hopefully)
[21:14:48] <dwd> ralphm, I do think that slot where the beagle-board people were last year would be awesome.
[21:14:56] <ralphm> in any case we need to carefully plan logistics to pull that off
[21:15:03] <ralphm> you cannot send stuff to the ULB
[21:15:22] <ralphm> dwd: how much depth do you think we need?
[21:15:42] <ralphm> we don't want to block passages
[21:16:06] <stpeter> MattJ: I'm recovered from the IETF meeting so I'm going to start working on various iteam/bofh/etc. items
[21:16:42] <stpeter> MattJ: I have a zillion passwords to change at jabber.org for instance :)
[21:16:55] <MattJ> Heh, I believe it
[21:16:56] <dwd> ralphm, Well, we need a wider than normal area, I think - wider than the last couple of stands have been - but otherwise just removing the tables does most of the work.
[21:17:04] <stpeter> and it would be nice to get http://xmpp.org/resources/public-services/ functioning correctly again
[21:17:23] <stpeter> dwd: a standless stand? ;-)
[21:17:45] <Florian> stpeter: no, a Standing room only stand :D
[21:17:52] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:17:53] <bear> I want to help but also realize I should keep working on the testing code :/
[21:18:02] <stpeter> heh
[21:18:04] <dwd> stpeter, Yes, basically. Florian did suggest beanbags. I have a mad idea of a hammock, but I don't actually have any idea how that would work.
[21:18:36] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:18:37] <stpeter> bear: do we have any code? shall we start doing Agile development with scrums and such? ;-)
[21:18:38] <Florian> a hammock would be awesome ... but takes too much space for too fee people :/
[21:18:44] <Florian> but something like Bar stools
[21:18:44] <bear> poke mozilla for money hard - fosdem is big for us so we (xsf) should take advantage of them ;)
[21:19:06] <dwd> Florian, I did look at those bar-stool-height director chairs with quite some envy.
[21:19:14] <bear> I have been talking with sleekxmpp dev named lance about that - we have "plans" :)
[21:19:55] <dwd> bear, Lance is quite smart. And I would find it a giggle for the XMPP validator to be using my SASL stack. :-)
[21:20:15] <dwd> (Which, I should note, Lance made a heck of a lot prettier)
[21:20:19] <bear> i'm a firm believer in code reuse
[21:20:32] <bear> and I know i'm not smart enough to roll my own crypto stack
[21:20:39] <dwd> bear, Nor am I.
[21:20:42] <bear> doh!
[21:21:06] <MattJ> No-one is
[21:21:37] <stpeter> hey, plus the euro keeps falling, so this could be an inexpensive trip for those of us travelling from North America...
[21:21:48] <bear> \o/
[21:21:51] <dwd> We all stand in a circle and use the person on the left's crypto stack.
[21:22:06] <bear> i'm pushing hard for work and wife so I can attend
[21:22:12] <dwd> stpeter, Cheap to get here, impossible to return.
[21:22:29] <dwd> bear, Don't you have both already?
[21:22:33] <dwd> bear, Oh, I see.
[21:22:43] <Florian> lol
[21:22:54] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:23:01] <MattJ> stpeter, :D
[21:23:28] <dwd> Florian, You misspelt - http://thesaurus.com/browse/loll
[21:23:29] <Tobias> stpeter, yeah..really great for those having huge stacks of gsoc money laying around in europe ;)
[21:23:37] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:24:07] <stpeter> ok are we done?
[21:24:10] <bear> oops - that was an interesting english phrasing gaff
[21:24:18] *stpeter is supposed to be on vacation this week :)
[21:24:26] *ralphm bangs the gavel
[21:25:54] *** Tobias has left the room
[21:27:36] <MattJ> Thanks :)
[21:27:55] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:28:34] <stpeter> MattJ: thanks for writing up the minutes
[21:28:38] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:28:40] <MattJ> np
[21:30:05] <ralphm> dwd: in Dutch, 'lol' means fun
[21:30:35] <dwd> ralphm, Ah, op zohn fiets...
[21:30:48] *dwd murders Dutch.
[21:31:28] <ralphm> dwd: wow, you're learning. Good. Quite an idiom, too.
[21:31:42] <ralphm> except for the 'h' needing to be an apostrophe
[21:31:57] <dwd> ralphm, It's about the only bit of Dutch that I know, mind. Still, not too bad from memory.
[21:32:58] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:33:39] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:35:54] *** Tobias has joined the room
[21:35:56] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[21:36:12] <ralphm> http://www.dwotd.nl/2006/09/dwotd_31_fiets.html
[21:36:14] <bear> peter, i'm going to email a mozilla person about fosdem and cc you
[21:36:44] <stpeter> bear: cool
[21:36:44] <bear> I would love for them to coordinate any part of this with us - so maybe they can help pay for some of it :)
[21:36:52] <stpeter> right :)
[21:37:02] <bear> what is your preferred email for htis stuff?
[21:37:13] <ralphm> bear: could you cc me on fosdem stuff?
[21:37:24] <stpeter> bear: I think last year we might have made money on FOSDEM :) meeting at the (free) Cisco building helped with that
[21:37:42] <stpeter> bear: stpeter -at- stpeter.im
[21:37:46] <bear> what email to use for you ralphm?
[21:37:48] <ralphm> my jid
[21:38:00] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:38:20] <bear> ik.nu?
[21:38:40] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:38:48] <ralphm> ralphm@ik.nu, yes
[21:43:03] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:43:11] <MattJ> ...and I think I may have an idea for an XMPP project + talk, I'll think a little before I submit it though :)
[21:43:18] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:43:18] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:43:23] <ralphm> good
[21:43:41] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:44:50] <bear> i'm sending the email to david ascher because he is part of the identity/realtime web project team
[21:44:59] <bear> and I also think he's known to xmpp folk already
[21:45:06] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[21:45:21] *** luca tagliaferri has joined the room
[21:45:33] <ralphm> bear: good text. Thanks!
[21:45:43] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[21:48:05] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:48:24] *Kev returns.
[21:48:30] <Kev> Just in time to avoid any sort of actions, it seems.
[21:48:43] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:48:44] <MattJ> No you're not
[21:48:55] <MattJ> I was scrolled up re-reading the log, but I just scrolled down to ask...
[21:49:14] <MattJ> Who wants to be assigned the action to create a wiki page for the list of demo applications?
[21:49:21] <MattJ> If no-one, then I'll assign it to myself
[21:49:28] <ralphm> MattJ: deal
[21:49:36] <MattJ> :)
[21:49:40] <MattJ> Thanks!
[21:49:44] <stpeter> can't that go on the FOSDEM_2012 page on the wiki?
[21:49:47] <MattJ> I think
[21:49:51] <MattJ> Sure
[21:50:24] <MattJ> Then someone should send an announcement about it to the lists, to make sure we cast as wide a net as possible
[21:50:37] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "online"
[21:50:37] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:50:51] <ralphm> I have volunteered for that
[21:50:57] <MattJ> k
[21:51:54] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:51:54] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:51:55] *** Much Better Ashley shows as "online"
[21:51:55] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:53:07] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:53:16] <stpeter> all right, I'm going to disappear from IM for a few days, but I'll likely be on email while I catch up on the inbox backlog and such
[21:53:29] <ralphm> very good
[21:53:33] <ralphm> enjoy your time off
[21:53:36] <stpeter> thanks!
[21:53:40] *** stpeter has left the room
[21:53:40] <bear> enjoy!
[21:53:44] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:55:14] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[21:58:10] *** Steffen Larsen shows as "online"
[21:58:45] *** Ashley Roach shows as "online"
[21:59:48] *** Ashley Roach has left the room
[21:59:52] *** dwd shows as "online"
[22:00:48] *** Steffen Larsen has left the room
[22:01:21] *** simon has joined the room
[22:01:23] *** Florian has left the room
[22:01:57] <simon> Just saw Ralph's invitation. Anything I can help with?
[22:02:54] <ralphm> simon: heh, I invited you as somebody mentioned Buddycloud
[22:03:09] <simon> my ears are burning.
[22:03:56] <ralphm> there are plans to do a real-time demo thing at FOSDEM
[22:04:24] <simon> I'm all up for realtime demos. Dancing ponies and good wifi not withstanding.
[22:04:41] <ralphm> simon: there will be 3G sims again
[22:04:54] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[22:05:21] <simon> but by fosdem I'm hoping you will all have fired up your own v1.0 buddycloud server ;)
[22:05:50] *** Much Better Ashley has left the room
[22:13:54] *** MiGri shows as "away" and his status message is "I'm not at the computer but I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[22:14:29] <bear> seems that mozilla is planning for fosdem also - things more than just cool demos
[22:14:38] <bear> trying to dig out some details
[22:14:54] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[22:14:57] *bear ponders how an open source company can be so opaque sometimes to members of it's own staff
[22:15:28] <MattJ> :)
[22:15:54] <simon> bear - I had a good chat with David from the messaging team about webFWD. It looks like we might "embed" with the Mozilla team for a bit.
[22:17:23] <bear> oh - did not know that (not that I should have or something)
[22:18:30] *** Florob has joined the room
[22:19:10] <bear> he seems worried that, if mozilla offers xmpp client support, that mozilla will also have to offer a server side to make the initial/new mozilla user experience not painful
[22:19:17] <bear> like what happens with sync
[22:19:52] <ralphm> except lots of people already have XMPP accounts
[22:19:55] <simon> you mean build their own server?
[22:20:00] <bear> yes
[22:20:11] <bear> so that a new install has someplace to go to by default
[22:20:18] <simon> does Mozilla produce a webserver?
[22:20:30] <bear> they learned that with thunderbird - sooo many folks expected to have an email address when they installed thunderbird
[22:20:32] *** MiGri shows as "online" and his status message is "This conversation may be monitored for quality assurance or security purposes. ;)"
[22:21:15] <bear> yes for the start page
[22:21:24] <bear> every user when it starts goes to mozilla.org
[22:21:27] <bear> err .com
[22:21:36] <simon> presumably pushing registrations to a list of open servers that want to host users is an option. That's what we're trying to do with buddycloud. Browse content, register -> choose domain to register on. sign-in and start posting.
[22:22:04] *** MattJ shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[22:22:54] <ralphm> bear: really?
[22:23:06] <ralphm> bear: I've never considered wanting a mozilla e-mail address
[22:23:13] <bear> it's what i'm talking to him about now - one of the big questions that came up
[22:24:11] <bear> when they surveyed folks who installed tbird but never used it - that was the biggest reason
[22:24:20] <bear> this was in the non-tech user space
[22:28:07] *** MiGri shows as "xa" and his status message is "Screen detached. I'll read the messages as soon as I'll be back."
[22:32:05] *** MattJ shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[22:45:56] *** ralphm has left the room
[22:46:01] *** ralphm has joined the room
[22:49:19] *** Florob has left the room
[22:52:20] *** simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[23:06:18] *** simon has left the room
[23:08:52] *** Tobias has left the room
[23:28:37] *** ralphm shows as "xa" and his status message is "Zzzzz"
[23:38:53] *** bear shows as "away" and his status message is "I am away from my desk. Leave a message."
[23:46:50] *** Kooda shows as "away"