Wednesday, February 27, 2013
xsf@muc.xmpp.org
February
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
     
             
XSF Discussion | Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/ | Agenda https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings

[00:15:01] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[00:17:41] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[00:23:07] *** Jef shows as "online"
[00:44:42] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[00:48:28] *** Jef shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[00:50:00] *** Jef shows as "online"
[00:56:16] *** Ashley has joined the room
[01:04:11] *** Jef has left the room
[01:04:42] *** stpeter shows as "xa" and his status message is "wandered off..."
[01:15:00] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[01:19:18] *** Lance has joined the room
[01:19:18] *** Lance shows as "online"
[01:20:42] *** Ashley has left the room
[01:44:31] *** Lance has left the room
[01:56:16] *** Lance has joined the room
[01:56:16] *** Lance shows as "online"
[02:52:16] *** Jef has joined the room
[02:56:45] *** Jef shows as "online"
[03:02:05] *** Jef shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[03:10:39] *** Jef shows as "online"
[03:36:44] *** Jef has left the room
[04:30:36] *** Lance has left the room
[04:31:32] *** stpeter has left the room
[05:33:38] <bear> most of the really broken style stuff has been fixed; sidebar with sponsors is fixed; nav bar with dropdown is fixed;
[05:34:05] <bear> still need to fix some metadata in secondary pages and clean up things like sidebar, feed and some centering issues
[06:36:39] <bear> k, cleaned up the dup title glitch (articles that had both a Title: metadata item and also a # Title line in the body)
[07:34:32] *** Kev shows as "away"
[08:27:01] *** jabberjocke has joined the room
[08:27:01] *** jabberjocke shows as "online"
[09:12:27] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[09:13:39] <ralphm> bear: keep up the good work
[09:19:07] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[09:37:33] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[09:42:35] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[09:48:30] <jabberjocke> bear: just say if you need any testing help
[10:25:05] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[10:37:07] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[10:47:31] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[10:52:34] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[11:38:36] *** Alex has joined the room
[13:16:59] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[13:22:01] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[14:09:55] *** Jef has joined the room
[14:48:29] *** Jef shows as "online"
[15:12:07] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[15:17:16] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[15:18:52] *** Zash has joined the room
[15:18:53] *** Zash shows as "online"
[15:21:20] *** Alex has left the room
[15:26:49] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[15:31:50] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[15:40:07] *** Jef has left the room
[15:51:13] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[15:56:16] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[16:02:18] *** stpeter has joined the room
[16:19:42] *** Ashley has joined the room
[16:23:28] *** Alex has joined the room
[16:27:30] <Ashley> i'm so here and ready to collaborate!
[16:32:50] <stpeter> heh
[16:32:58] <stpeter> let's see if bear is around
[16:33:06] <stpeter> I did update the calendar, but it was last night
[16:34:10] <stpeter> poked him via IM
[16:34:11] <stpeter> brb
[16:36:25] <stpeter> back
[16:45:25] <Ashley> so….
[16:47:29] <stpeter> well
[16:47:43] <Ashley> i was so happy i actually made it :)
[16:47:47] <bear> i'm here
[16:47:57] <Alex> so am I ;-)
[16:48:03] <bear> am I late?
[16:48:09] <stpeter> happy to see that http://www.coversant.com/ is back online, although I think we've not seen Jason in a while
[16:48:32] <Kev> Coversant have been back for a while.
[16:48:55] <stpeter> Kev: the site had some wonky unavailable message a few days ago
[16:48:58] <Kev> Ah, OK.
[16:49:04] <Kev> I thought you meant Coversant in general :)
[16:49:11] <stpeter> "account suspended" or somesuch
[16:49:52] <stpeter> not sure I have Arc in my buddy list
[16:50:14] <bear> arc may not be able to make it - he also had a conflict with schedules
[16:50:37] <stpeter> ah ok
[16:51:28] <stpeter> I just invited Florian
[16:51:41] *** Florian has joined the room
[16:51:45] <Florian> hi all
[16:51:45] <bear> we traded emails, I told him about the agenda and invited him to send email if he had an special requests
[16:51:55] <stpeter> hey :-)
[16:53:19] <stpeter> so it seems that the Board has a quorum
[16:53:30] <bear> \o/
[16:54:19] <bear> should be a fast meeting - shall we start?
[16:54:26] <stpeter> fire away, boss!
[16:54:27] <Ashley> sure!
[16:54:39] *** Jef has joined the room
[16:54:46] <bear> I had only two items to talk about, does anyone have anything to add to the agenda?
[16:55:13] <bear> first item is post FOSDEM - as peter pointed out, we should make sure the checklist is updated
[16:55:14] <Ashley> do we need to talk about the github TOS?
[16:55:27] *bear adds to the list
[16:55:35] <Kev> (GSoC)
[16:55:59] <bear> I'll send an email to the members list asking everyone to update that wiki page with anything they fell is needed for next year
[16:56:24] <bear> do we have any financial obligations (billing sponsors, paying someone from receipts)?
[16:57:28] <bear> no? ok
[16:57:49] <bear> if anyone has anything to add to the followup, please do pile onto the email I'll send in a bit
[16:57:51] <stpeter> I've updated http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/FOSDEM_Checklist
[16:57:56] <bear> cool
[16:58:19] <stpeter> bear: I need to send invoices / receipts for dinner sponsors, will do that Friday afternoon
[16:58:27] <bear> ta
[16:58:35] *stpeter adds it to his calendar
[16:58:55] <bear> ok, next item - Office(r) assignments
[16:59:21] <bear> I need to send an email from the board to the current Officers asking if they want to remain
[16:59:32] <bear> if not, then we need to find new warm bodies
[16:59:45] <bear> plus we need to find a Treasurer - right?
[16:59:55] <Alex> I volunteer again for secretary
[17:00:14] <bear> that is very much appreciated Alex
[17:00:40] <stpeter> bear: we've essentially not had a Treasurer since the old Jabber Inc. days, I've been serving pro-tem in that capacity but I think think it might be good to have someone else fill that role for the sake of transparency
[17:01:11] <bear> agreed, the hard part is finding someone who 1) has the skills and 2) is close enough to you to review the books properly
[17:01:31] <bear> I know I have no skills with non-profit accounting
[17:01:33] <Alex> and 3) be familiar with US laws
[17:02:29] <bear> is this something we open to the members list? my opinion is that it may be opening us up for some grief if we just send a blanket email
[17:03:03] <stpeter> it doesn't need to be a member
[17:03:18] <stpeter> another option is to use a bookkeeping service of some kind, of course
[17:03:27] <stpeter> but our volume is quite low
[17:03:38] <bear> maybe I should ask Julie from &yet if she wouldn't mind
[17:03:48] <bear> she does our books and a number of other non-profits
[17:04:02] <stpeter> ah, that's not a bad idea
[17:04:51] <bear> k, lets table treasurer until the board members who are absent can bring up some possibilities - i'll send an email to them saying that I will be approaching julie and for them to bring up some solutions
[17:04:52] <stpeter> Jack Moffitt volunteered to do it a while back but we never got him set up properly at the bank
[17:04:59] <stpeter> bear: sounds good
[17:05:09] <bear> he mentioned he might still be interested, i'll reach out
[17:05:12] <stpeter> and Jack is really too busy anyway
[17:05:13] <stpeter> ok
[17:05:22] <stpeter> he always seems to be busy, anyway :-)
[17:05:39] <bear> yea, serial entrepeneur and all that
[17:06:05] <bear> ok, moving on...
[17:06:07] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[17:06:30] <bear> github tos
[17:06:52] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[17:07:00] <bear> I don't think it's an issue anymore
[17:07:10] <Ashley> so, as i read it, the github tos doesn't seem to make any claims about IP ownership
[17:07:17] <Ashley> ah, well, in that case… :)
[17:07:18] <bear> having read it, it no longer has some of the onerous issues that it used to years ago
[17:07:34] *bear was agreeing with Ashley
[17:07:39] <Kev> This is explicitly only for mirroring and not for accepting contributions, right?
[17:07:43] <bear> correct
[17:08:02] <Ashley> that's our use case, right?
[17:08:11] <stpeter> right, just mirroring
[17:08:17] <bear> everything goes thru the mailing list for submissions, so we wouldn't use it for PullRequests or Issues
[17:08:29] <Zash> BTW: http://tos-dr.info/#github
[17:08:30] <Kev> I'm still not clear what the great rush to mirror to github as well as gitorious that we've been using for years, but anyway. /me goes back to lurking.
[17:08:30] <Alex> I think this discussion is some kind of conflict between open source developers and commercial developers. Because they have a different viewpoint when it comes to copyright and ownership
[17:08:43] <Zash> For short summary
[17:08:52] <stpeter> Kev: social coding :-)
[17:09:08] <stpeter> Kev: visibility etc.
[17:09:12] <bear> kev - I think the issue just became visible and it shown bright enough to distract folks from their coding and stirred up the ant hill
[17:09:24] <bear> once we say "ok, it's mirrored" things will settle down
[17:09:35] <bear> until someone asked for mercurial mirroring or some such
[17:09:38] <stpeter> anyway I've set up https://github.com/organizations/xsf (Pedro Melo transferred the 'xsf' account to me and I changed it into an organization)
[17:10:07] <stpeter> I see no problem with multiple mirrors
[17:10:14] <stpeter> anyway, tempest in a teapot AFAICT
[17:10:18] <bear> yep, i've added a logo and after I finish with the static site I will work on the git mirror commit hooks
[17:10:45] <bear> ok, lets settle this by being decisive and if someone really is bothered we can invite them to the infra team
[17:10:46] <stpeter> bear: happy to work with you on the static site
[17:10:52] <stpeter> bear: wfm
[17:11:07] <bear> I'll be posting a not tonight or tomorrow about that - it's down to text clean up now
[17:11:14] <stpeter> bear: super
[17:11:37] <bear> anyone with any major grief/issues/questions about github mirroring?
[17:11:43] <Kev> Not me.
[17:11:50] <Ashley> no
[17:12:14] <bear> k, moving on
[17:12:27] <bear> last item - GSoC
[17:13:02] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[17:13:04] <bear> from the wiki page, it appears that we have 4 other folk to help with the admin side
[17:13:08] <bear> (other than me)
[17:13:19] <stpeter> (oh, as with Alex, I am willing to continue serving as executive director, but of course the board is welcome to search for other candidates :-)
[17:13:27] <bear> the wiki page being http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summer_of_Code_2013
[17:13:54] <Alex> thats not a lot
[17:13:54] <bear> dang - now I don't have anyone to send emails to asking for their continued support ! ;)
[17:13:56] <Kev> bear: My view is that there hasn't been sufficient interest from mentors of projects that we'd be able to have under us, and we should skip a year.
[17:14:19] <Ashley> brb
[17:14:21] *** Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:14:27] <stpeter> I tend to concur with Kev
[17:14:30] <bear> I agree, knowing from past how much attrition happens to even the most ardent of supporters, I don't think we have sufficient coverage
[17:14:39] <stpeter> it's really about the projects, not the org admin type folks
[17:15:03] <bear> sounds like we have consensus
[17:15:22] <stpeter> but there are plenty of worthy projects out there and there's no use taking up space in GSoC if we can't have an effective summer
[17:15:38] *bear nods
[17:16:07] *** Ashley shows as "online"
[17:16:22] <bear> ok, unless someone objects, I will summarize it to the members that we do not have the resources to give the students the proper mentorship they require and will be skipping this year
[17:16:30] <stpeter> bear: well said
[17:16:33] <Ashley> ok
[17:16:43] <Kev> Thanks.
[17:16:48] <bear> and if someone complains, I will invite them to be on the gsoc team next year
[17:16:53] <stpeter> :-)
[17:17:09] <Alex> +1
[17:17:12] <Kev> Oh, quite the opposite.
[17:17:24] <Kev> If someone complains but didn't offer to help in advance...
[17:17:30] <stpeter> heh
[17:17:51] <bear> true, I would need to put on my "kev" hat when dealing with them (or my "cridland" hat)
[17:18:28] <bear> k, approaching 30(ish) minutes, any other issues to deal with?
[17:18:34] <stpeter> I think we're done
[17:18:57] <bear> ... not hearing anything ...
[17:19:03] *bear bangs the gavel
[17:19:06] <Kev> Thanks.
[17:19:11] <stpeter> thanks, all
[17:19:16] <bear> thanks everyone
[17:19:45] *** bear shows as "online"
[17:19:54] *bear wanders off to write some emails
[17:20:02] <Ashley> cheers
[17:20:02] <ralphm> bear: good plan!
[17:25:46] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Away as a result of being idle"
[17:32:39] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "bbiaf"
[17:33:14] *** Lance has joined the room
[17:33:14] *** Lance shows as "online"
[17:33:59] *** Jef shows as "online"
[17:36:38] *** bear shows as "away"
[17:38:56] *** bear shows as "online"
[17:40:37] *** Florian shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[17:48:58] *** bear shows as "away"
[17:50:15] *** stpeter shows as "online"
[17:54:33] *** Alex has left the room
[17:55:47] *** Alex has joined the room
[18:00:33] *** Florian shows as "xa" and his status message is "Auto Status (idle)"
[18:06:09] *** Ashley has left the room
[18:06:15] *** Ashley has joined the room
[18:06:30] *** stpeter shows as "dnd" and his status message is "in a WebEx meeting"
[18:11:19] *** Florian shows as "online"
[18:14:40] *** bear shows as "online"
[18:15:53] <jabberjocke> Hi was thinking of having a workshop around xep for sensorsystem
[18:16:14] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[18:16:38] <jabberjocke> do we have access to a webex account?
[18:18:52] *** Florian has left the room
[18:18:58] <jabberjocke> and do any of you have any history around the issues with using xmpp for sensor data
[18:21:29] *** Alex shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[18:23:56] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[18:28:59] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[18:29:45] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[18:33:12] <bear> jabberjocke - you should ask this in the jdev chat room - you will get more people listening
[18:33:53] <jabberjocke> yes thanks will do that
[18:34:17] <jabberjocke> but do xsf have any support for holding meetings such as webex
[18:34:40] <bear> most of the meetings we hold are chat only
[18:34:47] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[18:34:58] <bear> because of how distributed our members are and how many OSs that are not covered by webex
[18:35:10] <bear> now that doesn't say we don't use webex like during the last Summit
[18:36:55] <jabberjocke> Think it's good to have more direct discussion when having a workshop on the subject
[18:37:38] <jabberjocke> Will go for the mailinglists to collect intrest first and se how many that wuld like to participate
[18:38:30] <ralphm> We've traditionally always used text, as bear said, as that is usually more productive for multi-party discussions. That said, if you really need audio/video, I'd suggest using Google Hangouts
[18:38:56] <ralphm> maybe the Live variant, so that you can also have it recorded and published at Youtube
[18:39:28] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[18:40:11] <jabberjocke> good point thanks
[18:40:48] <jabberjocke> i've seen several different suggestions Sensor-Over-XMPP (aka SOX)
[18:41:30] *** Alex shows as "xa" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[18:41:56] <jabberjocke> was there any discussion during the summit of "internet of things" and real distributed sensor and control
[18:42:08] <stpeter> given that I work on the WebEx team I might be able to set something up ;-) but we could also use something free like http://conversat.io/
[18:44:23] <ralphm> n
[18:44:31] *** ralphm shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-away (idle)"
[18:44:36] <jabberjocke> It's probably just me being unused to just text
[18:44:46] <ralphm> jabberjocke: you are so missing out
[18:44:49] <jabberjocke> youre probably right about productivity
[18:45:12] *** bear shows as "away"
[18:47:18] *** Ashley has left the room
[18:51:39] *** Zash has left the room
[18:53:29] <jabberjocke> ralphm: you mean that there was a discussion during the summit?
[19:03:04] *** stpeter shows as "away" and his status message is "lunch"
[19:08:08] <ralphm> I meant that you are missing out on productive text-based discussions
[19:08:22] <jabberjocke> true
[19:08:23] <jabberjocke> :)
[19:17:52] *** Jef has left the room
[19:20:15] *** Alex shows as "online"
[19:22:59] *** bear shows as "online"
[19:31:03] <bear> meeting minutes: (done)
[19:31:10] <bear> officer summary: (done)
[19:31:33] <bear> i'll report on the github and static site status later tonight - first I need to make my $dayjob bosses happy ;)
[19:31:43] *** bear shows as "dnd"
[19:31:49] *** bear shows as "dnd" and his status message is "lunch"
[19:32:05] <Kev> Thanks. And thanks for looking after the migration.
[19:32:32] <bear> glad I can help
[19:32:39] *bear toddles off to find some food
[20:02:36] *** Lance has left the room
[20:02:39] *** Lance has joined the room
[20:02:40] *** Lance shows as "online"
[20:03:50] *** stpeter shows as "dnd" and his status message is "in a WebEx meeting"
[20:07:28] *** jabberjocke has left the room
[20:21:25] *** Alex has left the room
[20:27:39] *** Alex has joined the room
[20:33:14] *** Florian has joined the room
[20:34:20] *** Florian shows as "online"
[20:46:54] *** Ashley has joined the room
[20:48:09] *** Ashley has left the room
[20:48:12] *** Ashley has joined the room
[21:02:08] *** Alex shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[21:03:55] *** Jef has joined the room
[21:04:37] *** Lance shows as "away"
[21:16:30] *** bear shows as "online" and his status message is "lunch"
[21:16:39] *** bear shows as "online"
[21:20:14] *** Florian has left the room
[21:22:05] *** Alex shows as "xa" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[21:23:46] *** bear has left the room
[21:28:52] *** bear has joined the room
[21:28:52] *** bear shows as "online"
[21:42:09] *** Jef has left the room
[21:42:11] *** Jef has joined the room
[21:42:12] *** Lance shows as "online"
[21:52:40] *** Ashley shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:52:41] *** Ashley shows as "online"
[21:53:13] *** Lance shows as "away"
[21:54:09] *** Lance shows as "online"
[21:57:20] *** Jef has left the room
[21:58:35] *** bear shows as "away"
[22:09:20] *** bear shows as "online"
[22:19:38] *** bear shows as "away"
[22:20:22] *** bear shows as "online"
[22:21:17] *** jabberjocke has joined the room
[22:21:17] *** jabberjocke shows as "online"
[22:52:42] *** Lance shows as "away"
[22:54:02] *** Lance shows as "online"
[22:56:23] *** bear shows as "away"
[23:00:34] *** Ashley has left the room
[23:05:03] *** Alex has left the room
[23:10:08] *** Jef has joined the room
[23:17:21] *** bear shows as "online"
[23:19:59] *** Jef shows as "online"
[23:27:21] *** bear shows as "away"
[23:29:50] *** stpeter has left the room
[23:32:32] *** bear shows as "online"
[23:42:51] *** bear shows as "away"
[23:57:58] *** Jef shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"