Wednesday, November 27, 2013
xsf@muc.xmpp.org
November
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
 
             
XSF Discussion | Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/ | Agenda https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings

[00:01:33] *** Lance has joined the room
[00:01:33] *** Lance shows as "online"
[00:07:29] *** dwd has left the room
[00:08:41] *** tato has joined the room
[00:14:42] *** Alex has left the room
[00:18:30] *** tato shows as "online"
[00:26:25] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[00:30:40] *** tato has left the room
[00:30:46] *** tato has joined the room
[00:59:05] *** Zash has left the room
[02:37:45] *** Lance shows as "online"
[02:37:46] *** Lance shows as "online"
[02:47:31] *** tato shows as "away" and his status message is "sleeping.."
[02:55:02] *** Lance shows as "away"
[03:04:12] *** Lance shows as "online"
[03:09:25] *** Lance has left the room
[03:15:48] *** MattJ shows as "away"
[04:50:06] *** bear has joined the room
[04:50:06] *** bear shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[05:15:10] <fippo> zash: it only mixes audio
[05:19:48] *** Lance has joined the room
[05:19:49] *** Lance shows as "online"
[05:55:45] *** SouL shows as "online"
[06:06:28] *** SouL has left the room
[06:24:39] *** tato has left the room
[06:24:45] *** tato has joined the room
[07:03:43] *** SouL has joined the room
[07:06:02] *** Kev shows as "online"
[07:07:41] *** jabberjocke has left the room
[07:08:15] <SouL> https://jitsi.org/Main/JitSiCompromise20131126
[07:10:08] *** intosi has joined the room
[07:38:27] *** Alex has joined the room
[07:38:58] *** Alex shows as "online"
[07:41:36] *** Alex has left the room
[07:41:38] *** Alex has joined the room
[07:45:11] *** bear has left the room
[07:55:46] *** Ashley Ward has joined the room
[07:58:11] *** Zash has joined the room
[07:58:12] *** Zash shows as "online"
[08:28:10] *** ralphm shows as "online"
[08:30:02] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[08:31:14] *** dwd has joined the room
[08:36:11] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[08:38:56] *** Zash has left the room
[08:55:38] *** Alex shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[08:56:50] *** Alex shows as "online"
[08:58:11] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[08:58:15] *** jabberjocke has joined the room
[08:58:15] *** jabberjocke shows as "online"
[08:58:34] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[09:01:19] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[09:03:45] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[09:06:49] *** Alex shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[09:08:01] *** dwd shows as "online"
[09:10:05] *** Zash has joined the room
[09:10:05] *** Zash shows as "dnd"
[09:13:29] *** Ashley Ward has joined the room
[09:16:34] *** Alex shows as "online"
[09:17:47] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[09:19:17] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[09:29:43] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[09:31:50] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[09:33:55] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[09:43:54] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[09:48:11] *** dwd shows as "online"
[09:48:21] *** tato has left the room
[09:53:48] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[09:58:31] *** Ashley Ward has joined the room
[09:59:09] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[10:00:59] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[10:03:02] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[10:09:09] *** Alex shows as "online"
[10:09:13] *** Alex has left the room
[10:11:51] *** SouL shows as "away"
[10:31:52] *** SouL shows as "xa"
[10:36:07] *** SouL shows as "online"
[10:41:00] <dwd> Zash, It's muxing video but mixing audio. One "PeerConnection", many streams.
[10:41:30] *** Zash shows as "away" and his status message is "Lunch"
[10:49:11] *** Alex shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[10:50:23] *** Alex shows as "online"
[10:51:43] <fippo> https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiVideobridge explains it
[11:03:25] *** Kev shows as "away"
[11:15:56] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[11:19:11] *** Kev shows as "online"
[11:22:34] *** Alex shows as "away" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[11:23:15] *** dwd shows as "online"
[11:31:53] *** Lance has joined the room
[11:31:53] *** Lance shows as "online"
[11:33:45] *** Kev shows as "away"
[11:35:42] *** Kev shows as "online"
[11:42:34] *** Alex shows as "xa" and his status message is "Auto-Status (untätig)"
[11:47:44] *** Kev shows as "away"
[11:50:12] *** Alex shows as "online"
[11:53:24] *** Kev shows as "online"
[11:53:26] *** Kev shows as "online"
[12:10:52] *** Zash shows as "dnd"
[12:11:41] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[12:11:42] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[12:18:28] *** Kev has left the room
[12:20:27] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[12:25:47] *** Kev shows as "online"
[12:30:26] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[12:43:16] *** SouL has left the room
[12:44:23] *** dwd shows as "online"
[12:49:50] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[12:56:15] *** MattJ shows as "online"
[13:00:15] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:01:18] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[13:03:03] *** dwd shows as "online"
[13:09:35] *** Lance has joined the room
[13:09:36] *** Lance shows as "online"
[13:19:41] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:20:03] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[13:20:34] *** SouL has joined the room
[13:24:45] *** Lloyd has joined the room
[13:26:32] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:26:33] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[13:33:05] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:33:36] *** Lloyd shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:35:04] *** SouL shows as "away"
[13:35:43] *** jabberjocke has left the room
[13:42:32] *** Lloyd has left the room
[13:42:39] *** SouL shows as "online"
[13:51:34] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:52:56] *** SouL shows as "away"
[13:54:10] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[13:56:31] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[13:57:32] *** Laura has joined the room
[14:00:31] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:00:32] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[14:04:34] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:04:35] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[14:08:29] *** SouL shows as "online"
[14:08:39] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:08:40] *** Alex has left the room
[14:09:10] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[14:12:33] *** Ashley Ward shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[14:12:33] *** Ashley Ward shows as "online"
[14:39:28] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[14:48:50] *** dwd shows as "online"
[14:53:13] *** SouL shows as "away"
[14:55:57] *** Lloyd has joined the room
[14:56:01] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[14:56:02] *** Lloyd shows as "online"
[15:13:14] *** SouL shows as "xa"
[15:19:40] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[15:19:54] *** dwd shows as "online"
[15:22:00] *** Ashley Ward has joined the room
[15:24:10] *** Lloyd shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[15:26:03] *** Lloyd shows as "online"
[15:30:00] *** SouL shows as "online"
[15:43:48] *** Alex has joined the room
[15:48:12] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[15:50:25] *** Lance has joined the room
[15:50:25] *** Lance shows as "online"
[15:51:09] *** Zash shows as "away" and his status message is "Lunch"
[15:51:11] *** Zash has left the room
[15:52:40] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[15:52:42] *** Ashley Ward has joined the room
[15:53:49] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[15:58:10] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[16:01:21] *** Ashley Ward has joined the room
[16:06:54] *** dwd shows as "online"
[16:07:05] *** bear has joined the room
[16:07:06] *** bear shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:17:05] *** Zash has joined the room
[16:17:06] *** Zash shows as "online"
[16:17:25] <bear> laura - ping?
[16:17:51] <Laura> Hi
[16:18:00] <bear> trying to connect
[16:18:04] <Laura> We could hear you, could you not hear us?
[16:18:35] <bear> evidently all my devices need new hangout software
[16:20:52] *ralphm waves
[16:22:56] *dwd is following the Council meeting.
[16:23:04] <bear> this is why I want to use xmpp video for this - I have a single JID but I have 4 gmail accounts :/
[16:23:20] <ralphm> are we doing a VC today?
[16:23:26] <ralphm> didn't get any memo
[16:23:26] <Kev> I hope not :p
[16:23:33] <intosi> Did you move the board meeting to !XMPP now?
[16:23:41] <dwd> I hope not :-P
[16:23:43] <bear> no - this was a test for something else
[16:23:49] <intosi> Ah, okay :)
[16:23:51] <ralphm> good
[16:29:53] <fippo> ah, you have a video call and don't use this fancy colibri stuff yet?
[16:30:25] <dwd> fippo, Does OTalk do it yet?
[16:30:44] <fippo> for 1-1 it might
[16:31:19] *** Simon has joined the room
[16:31:20] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:31:30] <bear> are we ready for the board meeting?
[16:31:45] *Simon is ready.
[16:31:59] <Laura> *ready*
[16:32:27] <bear> cool - I saw dave earlier, I know he is lurking in the council meeting
[16:32:34] <bear> and ralph
[16:32:40] <MattJ> "lurking"
[16:32:42] <ralphm> I am. Kev is running out.
[16:33:22] <bear> ok, that's quorum - let's get this started
[16:33:26] *bear bangs the gavel
[16:33:33] <dwd> Yeah, I'm here, just paying attention to the COuncil meeting.
[16:33:42] <bear> is council still going?
[16:33:46] <ralphm> bear: yes
[16:33:47] <MattJ> Just
[16:33:52] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:33:59] <bear> shall we wait 5 for it to finish?
[16:34:06] <ralphm> done
[16:34:08] <MattJ> Done
[16:34:09] <ralphm> bear: go
[16:34:10] <bear> and I see it's done
[16:34:15] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:34:26] <bear> ok, agenda bashing - anything anyone wants to add?
[16:34:29] *** Tobias has joined the room
[16:34:29] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[16:34:43] <dwd> bear, What is the current agenda?
[16:34:44] <Kev> Did you send out an agenda?
[16:34:52] <Laura> Link please
[16:34:54] *bear thanks Dave for sending to members the two items started last week
[16:35:02] *** intosi shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:35:18] <Simon> I'd like to add: Mozilla outreach / Google + Federation
[16:35:36] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:35:38] <bear> The only agenda item for today talk about the test day
[16:35:45] <dwd> Both of which are outreach/liaison issues, actually.
[16:35:55] <Laura> Background needed please (just a little)
[16:36:00] <ralphm> We didn't have minutes of last meeting, did we?
[16:36:28] <bear> no, I failed to get them out in a timely manner - my logs were gone and my link to the XSF one was wrong
[16:36:39] <dwd> Laura, Mozilla Presence is an effort by Mozilla, we naturally think they should be using XMPP. Google Federation is broken and lame, and doesn't have any security.
[16:36:44] <Simon> Laura: Mozilla is planning on spinning up a new push network to support FF OS devices and to support webapps on browsers. We need to ask them good questions to see if using XMPP would help them.
[16:36:52] <bear> http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/131120/
[16:36:56] <dwd> Simon, Oh, yeah, push, too.
[16:37:12] <Laura> Do we have links with Mozilla? Or do we need them?
[16:37:14] <ralphm> bear: the link is in this room's subject :-D
[16:37:21] <ralphm> Lance: yes and yes
[16:37:28] <ralphm> Laura even
[16:37:36] <ralphm> (yay tab-completion)
[16:37:41] <Simon> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/wg-presence
[16:37:46] <Laura> Great
[16:37:58] <Laura> Steps?
[16:38:18] <Simon> I think our best approach here is to ask sensible questions - not the "we think they should use XMPP" approach.
[16:38:26] <Laura> *agree*
[16:38:32] <Simon> it adds credibility and helps them think they discovered XMPP
[16:38:41] <Simon> which is much more powerful.
[16:38:46] <Laura> We should understand why they haven't considered it, or if they have.
[16:38:48] <bear> i've been lurking in their IRC chat room to be available for questions, as has MattJ
[16:38:52] <dwd> Simon, Certainly understanding their requirements, and seeing if those actually are addressed by XMPP, would help.
[16:38:55] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:38:56] <ralphm> Laura: they actually did
[16:38:58] <Simon> "how will you deal with xyz issues?"
[16:39:09] <ralphm> Laura: in the meeting notes I read, XMPP pops up quite a bit
[16:39:09] <fippo> right. especially if xmpp doesn't address the requirements.
[16:39:15] <ralphm> as well as personal eventing
[16:39:35] <Laura> We need to get the message clear and address their concerns
[16:39:38] <bear> they have a couple concerns that would require a custom module for one of the xmpp servers
[16:40:00] <Simon> I also fear that they see (as many do) that XMPP is some kind of monolithic stack. If we can sell them on one feature, we're in a better position.
[16:40:02] <Laura> Are they willing to sponsor that module being developed?
[16:40:05] <Kev> If there are things they need that XMPP can't do, starting a discussion on standards@ seems like a sensible sort of idea.
[16:40:28] <bear> right now they are still working thru their own flow - they are working out even for them what the service would do and require
[16:40:37] <Kev> (Whoever knows what the issues are, not necessarily Moz)
[16:40:53] <Simon> Who has experience building push notification networks?
[16:40:57] <bear> so we are in the very early stages with them, just need to remain engaged so they don't skip over us because of a lack of response
[16:41:03] <ralphm> Simon: I think that feeling originates from the fact that all such endevours (like yours and Facebook and ...) start out from an IM implementation (like ejabberd).
[16:41:05] <Laura> Bear - can we help them to do this?
[16:41:17] <Laura> Generous of us, and will help us understand their thinking
[16:41:27] <bear> Laura - yes, being on hand with early prototype and/or specs for them to use
[16:41:39] <Kev> Simon: XMPP /is/ a push network, I think the question might need rephrasing :)
[16:41:49] <Laura> And the offer of our experience and knolwedge
[16:41:49] <Simon> Mobile push :)
[16:42:05] <bear> the two biggest concerns is that they do not want the devices (which would have UUIDs) to know about which users (also UUIDs) they are pushing to
[16:42:12] <dwd> As I said on the list, I think we just treat this as a Liaison form our end.
[16:42:13] <bear> but the users would know
[16:42:17] <Simon> Ralph - didn't Apple use some of your code for building their APN?
[16:42:32] <ralphm> Simon: that is a frequent myth.
[16:42:49] <ralphm> Simon: they use Idavoll in OS X Server for the Calendaring notifications.
[16:42:56] *Simon adjusts his opinion of Ralph slightly.
[16:43:01] <Tobias> at least google's push protocol is XMPP based
[16:43:05] <ralphm> Simon: it is called NotificationServer and makes the whole space muddy.
[16:43:10] <dwd> Can I also suggest that we absolutely do not need to discuss any technical issues here and now.
[16:43:13] <Tobias> on some level
[16:43:16] <bear> they use twisted xmpp pubsub in their data center for the proxy between web and device
[16:43:26] <bear> (apple does)
[16:43:54] <Simon> So I agree this will need to be a liason - lets get some council members in there asking the right questions. But we'll need to move fast - there's code already being written.
[16:43:57] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:44:00] <bear> yes, let's consider this something to put onto the liason list
[16:44:06] <ralphm> bear: are you sure about that, because if that's the case, that's likely also Idavoll, but I have no idea, really.
[16:44:19] *bear will talk about apple offline
[16:44:45] <ralphm> (Idavoll is a Twisted-based Generic XMPP Publish-Subscribe Service implementation, by me)
[16:45:26] <bear> ok, so presense-wg - take away is to add it to the liason list and make sure members@ knows about it
[16:45:36] <Simon> Having mozilla integrate XMPP into their (future) core would be very powerful.
[16:45:47] <ralphm> agreed
[16:45:49] <Simon> who will do that?
[16:46:00] <bear> who can write up a members@ notification of that liason issue?
[16:46:08] <dwd> Erm.
[16:46:14] <Laura> Question - Are any of the developers on this part of the project based in London (do we know)
[16:46:20] <Laura> XMPPUK meetup on Monday
[16:46:24] <Laura> They could come and see?
[16:46:46] <bear> I will post that info to their irc channel
[16:46:53] <Simon> laura: not aware of any - seems like a large contingient are PST tz.
[16:47:18] <bear> tarek is involved - he is in/around Paris IIRC
[16:47:40] <bear> ok, i'll write up a quick blurb - please do call me out if this is not done in 2 hours
[16:47:52] <bear> next agenda item?
[16:48:14] <bear> google federation
[16:48:37] <ralphm> I'm still not sure about what happens with this liason team
[16:48:52] <Simon> We have an impeding PR disaster / security meh "XMPP cuts off Google" and our security efforts being for nothing.
[16:49:00] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:49:12] <ralphm> (re moz) Do we give them some kind of assignment, etc.
[16:49:13] <bear> ralphm - we will figure it out as we go, small iterations
[16:49:16] <Simon> 2 sides: we should have end to end security / I'm not cutting off paying customers.
[16:49:30] <bear> ralphm, lets defer that to after
[16:49:40] <ralphm> bear: ok
[16:50:04] <ralphm> Simon, first off, this is a community effort, not a XSF one, per se.
[16:50:05] <Simon> I'd written to three different Google XMPP guys and not heard anything back.
[16:50:10] <bear> right - I think we need to let people know this is a *test*
[16:50:14] <Zash> Has anyone heard anything from anyone at Google?
[16:50:17] <Simon> +1 on test.
[16:50:33] <Simon> Zash: nothing for close to a week.
[16:50:33] <bear> and that not all Operators have to be in on it - but once we get numbers we need to shout them loud and wide
[16:50:41] <Simon> I'll re-ping them.
[16:50:51] <Simon> indeed.
[16:51:01] <bear> we should make the appeal to the Operators that if they want google to change, show them impact numbers
[16:51:07] <ralphm> Also, GTalk has always been in this rough spot regarding proper certs for a hosted IM service.
[16:51:10] <Simon> so message is a) it's a test b) we're trying to work with Google.
[16:51:34] <ralphm> Are Google actually able to fix GTalk in short term so that they could participate, technically?
[16:51:39] <Simon> did I mention that XMPP.net is great?
[16:51:41] <MattJ> ralphm, right now I think we'd be happy even with a mismatched cert!
[16:52:01] <Simon> ralphm: answering emails would a nice start :)
[16:52:07] <Kev> I'm a little curious as to what the test is really going to show. It's not like we're talking about /enabling/ something for the first time, like IPv6 day. It's just going to show people which servers theirs is connecting to without TLS - and they know that already.
[16:52:13] <dwd> One thing I have noted about Google infrastructure in the past is that none of their services do a STARTTLS style switch.
[16:52:17] <Simon> mattJ: +1
[16:52:22] <ralphm> Simon: everyone agrees with this
[16:52:24] *** Simon has left the room
[16:52:50] <dwd> So it could be that there is a blocker on offering BTNS.
[16:53:00] *** Simon has joined the room
[16:53:00] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:53:07] <Zash> dwd: Allways the legacy ssl way?
[16:53:18] <Zash> dwd: Except xmpp-client?
[16:53:30] <ralphm> dwd: indeed, they way the Google Cloud Service thing with XMPP works, it expects one to start an TLS connection and then do XMPP, no STARTTLS
[16:53:36] <ralphm> (and no SRV either)
[16:53:50] <dwd> But in any case, it looks like we're not getting anywhere through the channels we have, so we need to look for other channels. We could presumably try the Open SOurce unit route?
[16:53:57] <dwd> ralphm, Right.
[16:54:00] <MattJ> I know at least one XMPP library that doesn't support that
[16:54:04] <dwd> Zash, They run xmpps only, right?
[16:54:22] <ralphm> MattJ: I had a bug report for it in Wokkel
[16:54:26] <dwd> Not that this matters much, mind.
[16:54:26] <bear> sounds like we have two angles to work with - what is exactly the technical angle on why/how gmail federates and who to work with it or around it; and a marketing angle to get everyone in the world aware that the test is happening and where google falls into that realm
[16:54:34] <Zash> dwd: No, _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com @ starttls works afaik
[16:54:45] <dwd> Zash, Ah-ha, I slouch corrected.
[16:54:51] <Simon> with RC4 :) /me shudders.
[16:55:03] <Laura> Bear - marketing, start with a blog post that we can all shout about and link to?
[16:55:04] <Kev> BTNS
[16:55:08] <Laura> Get the conversation started?
[16:55:11] <bear> laura - yes
[16:55:31] <bear> I think we should do blog reports that can be linked/repeated on two levels
[16:55:32] <ralphm> But again, the test coming from the manifesto, is strictly not an XSF effort.
[16:55:36] <dwd> bear, I think we need to formally approach them somehow and at least be sure they're aware. Is Chris Messina still the Open Source Guy?
[16:55:52] <ralphm> While I do think having some kind of liason with Google.
[16:55:53] <Simon> I think it's important that we show operators that they can add an exception for Google domains in their "use TLS everywhere" config.
[16:55:55] <Kev> ralphm: I think that, given the people involved, the public perception will be that it is.
[16:55:57] <bear> one for test day prep and one for us looking for someone at google to work with
[16:55:59] <dwd> ralphm, Yes, true. So perhaps we need to first see if our intervention is even wanted.
[16:56:06] <Simon> but as MattJ pointed out this isn't possible technically.
[16:56:16] *Simon keeps forgetting that.
[16:56:17] <Kev> So if the XSF doesn't want to endorse it, it probably needs to say that.
[16:56:31] <MattJ> Simon, actually I said it's not possible with a simple black/whitelist
[16:56:40] <MattJ> I later said that it is possible, and I wondered if it was worth working on
[16:56:54] <dwd> Kev, I don't think I want the XSF to explicitly not endorse it, either. :-)
[16:56:56] <MattJ> (hence my interest in peoples' opinions on its worth)
[16:57:01] <ralphm> Kev: you want the XSF to get a community started effort to note that it is not an XSF effort. Hmm
[16:57:01] *** Simon shows as "online"
[16:57:04] <Kev> dwd: Then it's implicitly endorsing it.
[16:57:05] <bear> ok, one take away from this is a blog style "Test Prep Report" - who can work on that?
[16:57:17] <Kev> dwd: In this case, I think.
[16:57:23] <dwd> Kev, Yes, I agree.
[16:57:25] <Laura> I can peer review, but don't have the tech background
[16:57:30] <dwd> Kev, Or just for you, I don't disagree.
[16:57:30] <Simon> Bear: I'm happy to write that up.
[16:57:36] <Laura> But can help from the marketing spin
[16:57:40] <bear> the majority of the discussion now I would like to suggest that we do as part of a weekly pre-board liason meeting on the google issue
[16:57:47] <Laura> Simon, co-share this task?
[16:57:50] <Simon> sure
[16:57:55] <bear> simon - you and laura - done
[16:58:30] *** intosi shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[16:58:42] <bear> can we get one of you all to write up a technical reasons report for the members@ list and then let the operators@ list know about it?
[16:58:45] <ralphm> I am also going to repeat that I don't think that *technically* GTalk can succesfully participate, even if we got bidirectional contact with googlers and have them work on it.
[16:58:52] <Lloyd> first real task, one of us now laura :)
[16:59:02] <Kev> ralphm: Why's that?
[16:59:15] <ralphm> Because of the certificate thing.
[16:59:18] <Kev> (Given that some form of TLS is all that's needed to participate)
[16:59:25] <ralphm> Isn't this why all of DNA was thought up?
[16:59:40] <MattJ> Their cert doesn't need to be valid for all their domains,just to do TLS
[17:00:21] <MattJ> here's a fun thing though: they'll probably want to do RC4, which folk are scrambling to disable throughout the network now :)
[17:00:22] <Simon> MattJ: coming back to the "is it worth it?" - having all sites, except Google, on secure connections is a huge win. Giving operators a way to achieve that using black/whitelists shouldn't be underestimated.
[17:00:22] <Tobias> ralphm, don't they do opportunistic TLS for STMP for hosted google apps domains?
[17:00:28] <Tobias> *SMTP
[17:00:34] <ralphm> Hmm, yes.
[17:00:37] <Tobias> dwd might know, since he's an email guy
[17:00:51] <Tobias> or you :)
[17:00:51] <dwd> Tobias, Possibly, I've not actually looked.
[17:01:06] *** Lloyd has left the room
[17:01:10] <bear> they have steps what is required for SMTP over TLS
[17:01:11] <MattJ> SMTP's hostname matching is... "different", to say the least
[17:01:28] <MattJ> Board meeting getting technical alert
[17:01:48] <bear> yes, that is why I wanted those tech participants just now to summarize their concerns
[17:01:49] <dwd> MattJ, Yes, the suits are talking tech again.
[17:02:01] <bear> to the members@ list
[17:02:04] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:02:05] <ralphm> Simon: I think that no implementations currently can whitelist all GTalk domains in one swoop. Correct me if I'm wrong.
[17:02:20] <Tobias> MattJ, yeah...just wanted to mention that there are things we should check first before drawing such conclusions
[17:02:29] <MattJ> ralphm, I can do that by the end of the day though, for Prosody
[17:02:40] *bear bangs the "let's take this to the jdev or operators list" gavel
[17:02:48] <Simon> Ralph: agreed - but never underestimate MattJ :)
[17:02:52] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[17:03:07] <ralphm> Agreed.
[17:03:27] <ralphm> I think the only action for us is: see if we can get into Google on this.
[17:03:33] <dwd> So do we have any plan for that?
[17:03:36] <bear> yes, that is a seperate action
[17:03:42] <ralphm> Irrespective of the manifesto/test
[17:03:57] <bear> Simon, can you email Peter and team up on the google side-channel contact
[17:04:10] <Simon> Bear: will do.
[17:04:12] <ralphm> I'm going to try, too.
[17:04:17] <bear> and then work with Laura to rope in Chris messina and Tim Bray (or other Google OS types)
[17:04:27] <MattJ> We've never had strong relations with Google (the organisation), only with individuals who can't talk for their employer
[17:04:31] <bear> I think we need to word some open letters to them
[17:04:40] <Simon> I worked with Chris Messina in another life. Will ping him.
[17:04:41] <bear> right, let's take this to the formal level
[17:05:02] <dwd> Chris has left Google, it seems.
[17:05:04] <bear> they have liasons for open source, let's start reaching out to them to help them
[17:05:10] <ralphm> I will use the liason angle this time. Maybe that helps.
[17:05:38] *** Ashley Ward has joined the room
[17:05:47] <bear> yea, but Chris will still have recent internal contacts - so talking to him won't be a waste of time IMO
[17:06:02] <ralphm> I am going to contact Adewale Oshineye.
[17:06:17] <bear> shall we declare a liason team for this: Simon, Laura, Ralph ?
[17:06:48] <Laura> happy to get involved
[17:06:50] <dwd> ralphm, I'm not sure Ade has the contacts, but worth trying. I argue with him regularly. :-)
[17:07:00] <ralphm> I am ok, initially. But once we have an in, I want at least one Council member for this.
[17:07:07] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:07:15] <bear> agree
[17:07:26] <dwd> bear, We don't actually declare liaison teams, FWIW, the Council nominates them.
[17:07:26] <bear> but first we need to reach out on the political level
[17:07:37] <ralphm> dwd: he is Developer Advocate and from my perspective, he should?
[17:07:42] <dwd> bear, We agreed that whole liaison procedure last meeting.
[17:07:48] *bear edits for the pendantic
[17:07:58] <dwd> ralphm, Yeah, true. We can try him, certainly.
[17:08:02] <bear> shall we declare a working group on the board for reaching out to Google?
[17:08:11] <ralphm> +1
[17:08:16] <Simon> +1
[17:08:19] <Laura> +1
[17:09:02] <dwd> +1
[17:09:07] <bear> ok, done
[17:09:27] <Simon> Pinging https://plus.google.com/+cdibona/ (Chis Dibona ) now
[17:09:28] <bear> let's get the contacts made and report back next week on any progress?
[17:10:01] <Laura> I may need some guidance (newest to this area) but will contact people as needed
[17:10:02] <bear> let me know if I can help by getting Leo Laporte to put some pressure on them thru his channels
[17:10:29] <bear> I think we need to ensure that our message is uniform in tone and well written
[17:10:45] <bear> so anything after the initial ping should be done in the same voice
[17:11:08] <Laura> We should all be using the same words, messaging etc
[17:11:42] <dwd> RIght, ensuring that Google (and others) see there's a coherent and unified community behind what we're saying is important.
[17:11:45] <bear> so please do share drafts of the emails with each other
[17:12:10] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:12:28] <bear> is their anything else to wrangle on this topic?
[17:12:35] <Laura> Is there somewhere we can hare these (off email) so we all have the latest version?
[17:12:38] <Laura> Google doc?
[17:12:40] *** Ashley Ward has left the room
[17:12:49] <bear> I would almost suggest the wiki
[17:13:03] <Laura> Wiki works. Can someone set up a page and circulate?
[17:13:39] <bear> i'll set up a Outreach page now
[17:14:14] <Laura> We should list on there who we are contatcing / needs to be contacted
[17:14:19] <Laura> So no duplication
[17:15:17] <Simon> let's add that to the wiki
[17:16:37] <dwd> OK, are we done on this?
[17:16:51] <bear> http://wiki.xmp.org/web/Outreach
[17:17:13] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:17:22] <bear> any other talk? shall we move on to next item (which I have completely forgotten what that is!)
[17:17:56] <Simon> +1: move on.
[17:18:03] <bear> ok, moving on
[17:18:09] <bear> what is next?
[17:18:31] <Kev> This is when agenda are convenient :p
[17:18:36] <Simon> bring the meeting to a close before anything new pops up.
[17:18:55] <Kev> You've not covered GSoC yet, which last week went on the agenda for this week (theoretically).
[17:19:29] <dwd> As did the member applications thing.
[17:19:40] *bear curses his brain
[17:19:54] <bear> GSoC - we need to determine if we have anyone who will be a mentor
[17:20:02] <bear> without that we shouldn't apply
[17:20:23] <Kev> First thing is whether Board are happy that we apply, I think.
[17:20:27] <bear> Last year we put out a call for projects and mentors - we should do that again
[17:20:36] <Kev> If Board are happy, then we find whether there's support in the community.
[17:20:39] <bear> ok, is the board ok with applying?
[17:20:47] *Simon is happy to mentor agian.
[17:20:48] <ralphm> +1 on being happy
[17:21:03] <dwd> I'm happy if we have the support within the community. I'd be happier if we had an org admin.
[17:21:31] <bear> ok, the board is happy
[17:21:33] <Laura> I am unaware of what this is, so will hold back opinion
[17:21:40] <Laura> Happy to go with majority
[17:22:00] <bear> I can be the org admin if we have mentors
[17:22:02] <Kev> Laura: Google thing each summer where they pay students to work on OSS, on behalf of OSS projects who apply for slots to give to students who apply to the orgs.
[17:22:16] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:22:24] <Kev> Laura: The XSF often acts as an umbrella project through which projects like Swift, Gajim, Prosody get students.
[17:22:24] <Laura> Oooh, sounds great!
[17:22:56] <Kev> Last year there wasn't much interest from projects in it (or not enough), so we didn't apply.
[17:23:01] <Kev> Usually there is and we do.
[17:23:35] <bear> the board has +1'd this - can we get a post to members@ about finding projects and get the wiki page started?
[17:23:59] <Kev> Sure, I think you appointed yourself org admin, so that's your job :)
[17:24:10] <bear> yep - I'll do that tonight
[17:24:13] *bear writes task down
[17:24:47] <bear> ok, next item - member application form
[17:24:56] <bear> which dave posted to members@ about
[17:25:00] <bear> dwd?
[17:25:19] <dwd> If we're good with my proposal, I can write that up as a XEP.
[17:25:47] <Alex> I am fine with it
[17:25:55] <dwd> Obviously it's not a final choice at this stage - it becomes so when we last call and approve it.
[17:26:12] <bear> since it's a proposal, let's get it written and off for debate to the list
[17:26:30] <dwd> Any comments about the full name business? The last time this cropped up we didn't really come to a conclusion.
[17:26:49] <Kev> Real names are logically required.
[17:27:11] *** Zash shows as "online" and his status message is "Eating"
[17:27:14] <bear> yes, real name + jid - that's about the minimum we should expect
[17:27:17] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:27:17] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:27:19] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:27:44] <dwd> Kev, I think so, yes. But I left is as a SHOULD because of the debate last time about Solarius.
[17:27:56] <Alex> real name, jid and email
[17:28:13] <dwd> And affiliation.
[17:28:17] <Kev> There was much debate last time because it wasn't covered anywhere, which essentially made it a discussion about Solarius, not about thegeneral case.
[17:28:19] <Alex> ya, company name or personal
[17:28:34] <bear> but I defer about what constitutes a real name - I would love to be just "bear"
[17:28:34] <Kev> There's time to talk about the general case now, and I'm not sure why we wouldn't require real name.
[17:28:39] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:28:39] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:28:53] <dwd> Right, yes, you remind me that a full name includes the possibility that it's a company membership, which we also allow.
[17:28:59] <Laura> Can we not have real name and 'nickname'?
[17:29:12] <dwd> Laura, Nickname hardly seems mandatory, though. :-)
[17:29:13] <Kev> Laura: Require people to have a nickname before they can join? :)
[17:29:33] <Laura> No, not required. Just a field on the form
[17:29:38] <Laura> If there is one, we use thsat
[17:29:41] <Kev> There's no form, it's just a wiki page.
[17:29:44] <Laura> If not, real name
[17:29:47] <Kev> Just that some fields are logically required.
[17:30:26] <bear> can we take this to the list?
[17:30:32] <Alex> once we decided all this stuff I create a new wiki text and a template
[17:30:53] <dwd> I'll write it up with full name required on what I'm hearing, and submit a XEP.
[17:31:09] <bear> that is what we currently do, so let's make that the first prototype
[17:31:12] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:31:12] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:31:36] <bear> ok, any other issues for todays meeting?
[17:32:06] <Kev> Only a reminder that I think we're still due last week's minutes.
[17:32:22] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:32:32] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:32:32] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:32:34] <ralphm> Kev: this was mentioned before.
[17:32:54] <bear> yes, I have a good hour of homework for tonight
[17:33:03] <dwd> I've nothing more for this time. We're on for next week?
[17:33:13] <Laura> *nods*
[17:33:15] <ralphm> +1
[17:33:22] <bear> unless someone vetoes next week, that will be the next meeting
[17:33:36] *bear bangs gavel
[17:33:42] <bear> see you all in a week
[17:33:46] <Simon> bye all
[17:33:49] <Laura> Bye
[17:33:57] <bear> thanks all
[17:34:09] <dwd> Toodle pip.
[17:34:48] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:34:49] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:34:53] <bear> I have dayjob meetings now - will work up my tasks in a bit
[17:35:14] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:35:14] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:35:54] <ralphm> I had some back and forth with Ade. Some notes:
[17:37:10] *** SouL shows as "away"
[17:37:18] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:37:19] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:37:21] <ralphm> * that we probably should make it clear that the manifesto is not the thing we (XSF) want to push, but that we want to work so that the side effect is not that everyone on GTalk gets shut out
[17:37:24] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:37:38] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:37:39] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:38:02] <ralphm> * that we also want to have ways to work on other XMPP efforts like GCS
[17:38:11] *** MattJ shows as "away"
[17:38:14] <Simon> GCS?
[17:38:16] <ralphm> eh GCM
[17:38:21] <Simon> ah
[17:38:40] <ralphm> it was called cloud services earlier
[17:39:54] <ralphm> and I personally would like to stress the harmful situation of the current way interoperability fails between the XMPP network, GTalk and Hangouts
[17:40:02] *ralphm goes for dinner
[17:40:08] *** ralphm shows as "dnd" and his status message is "I'm eating, so leave me a message."
[17:42:27] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:43:16] *** SouL shows as "online"
[17:47:30] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:50:24] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:50:25] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:50:26] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:50:27] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:51:29] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:51:29] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:52:33] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:52:50] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:52:50] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:55:17] <Laura> I think I have asked this before, but now that the Board will be making approaches to Google and we are bound to get looked up - who updates this page? http://xmpp.org/about-xmpp/xsf/the-xsf-board-of-directors/
[17:57:35] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:58:01] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:58:01] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:58:04] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:58:04] *** Simon shows as "online"
[17:58:46] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[17:58:46] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:01:56] <Kev> I guess Bear.
[18:02:07] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:02:07] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:02:29] <Kev> Although I (and many others) have access to do it, if Bear doesn't mind.
[18:02:38] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:02:45] <Kev> Or, hrmm. Probably doesn't need asking.
[18:03:01] <bear> just do it Kev
[18:03:27] <bear> I thought i had gotten to all of the wiki pages and web pages for this new board and council
[18:03:28] <Kev> Laura: Did you have your blurb ready?
[18:03:44] <bear> heck, laura should be given credentials to do it
[18:03:50] <bear> she will be writing blog posts
[18:04:04] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:04:04] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:04:26] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:04:26] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:05:14] <bear> laura what email address is good for you - I will add you to the wp config
[18:06:06] <Laura> laura.gill@surevine.com please
[18:06:12] <Kev> It has people's names on there now, at least.
[18:07:40] <bear> ok, she has been added
[18:07:42] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:08:49] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:08:49] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:09:25] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:09:25] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:09:37] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:09:37] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:11:04] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:11:04] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:12:45] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:13:26] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:13:26] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:14:31] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:14:31] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:17:48] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:22:40] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[18:22:51] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:24:27] *** dwd shows as "online"
[18:27:54] *** Simon shows as "online"
[18:29:02] *** bear has left the room
[18:32:17] *** Simon has left the room
[18:32:57] *** Laura has left the room
[18:35:36] *** MattJ shows as "online"
[18:37:29] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[18:39:57] *** bear has joined the room
[18:40:01] *** bear shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[18:40:14] *** SouL has left the room
[18:42:08] *** SouL has joined the room
[18:47:31] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[18:53:13] *** intosi shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:06:57] *** Simon has joined the room
[19:06:57] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:08:01] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:09:23] *** Zash shows as "away" and his status message is "Eating"
[19:09:42] *** Zash shows as "online" and his status message is "Eating"
[19:13:04] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:18:07] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:19:15] *** tato has joined the room
[19:22:08] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:22:08] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:23:10] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:23:59] *** Lance has joined the room
[19:23:59] *** Lance shows as "online"
[19:26:58] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:26:58] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:28:13] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:28:41] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:28:41] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[19:29:13] *** Tobias has joined the room
[19:29:17] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[19:29:43] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:29:43] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:31:38] *** Tobias has left the room
[19:31:45] *** Tobias has joined the room
[19:31:49] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[19:32:28] *** dwd has left the room
[19:33:16] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:38:19] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:43:22] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:47:18] *** dwd has joined the room
[19:48:25] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:49:15] *** Zash shows as "away" and his status message is "Eating"
[19:51:14] *** Kev shows as "away"
[19:53:28] *** Simon shows as "online"
[19:55:21] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[19:58:03] *** dwd shows as "online"
[19:58:31] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:03:34] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:07:11] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[20:08:26] *** Simon has left the room
[20:10:01] *** Simon has joined the room
[20:10:01] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:10:01] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:13:14] *** Zash shows as "online" and his status message is "Eating"
[20:14:44] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:17:11] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[20:19:48] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:21:19] *** dwd shows as "online"
[20:21:56] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:21:56] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:23:33] *** Simon has left the room
[20:24:08] *** Simon has joined the room
[20:24:08] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:25:48] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:27:46] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:27:46] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:29:05] *** SouL shows as "away"
[20:30:35] *** Zash shows as "away" and his status message is "Eating"
[20:30:51] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:32:44] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:32:44] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:35:07] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:35:08] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:35:54] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:36:28] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:36:28] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:38:58] *** Zash shows as "online" and his status message is "Eating"
[20:39:27] *** SouL shows as "online"
[20:39:39] <fippo> http://www.chriskranky.com/the-need-for-speed-connecting-faster/ :-)
[20:39:53] *** Tobias shows as "away" and his status message is "Available"
[20:40:03] <fippo> i hope that tsahi's wheels include trickle + early transport warmup
[20:40:27] <fippo> otherwise his webrtc car lose against my jingle one :-)
[20:40:49] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[20:40:58] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:41:32] <ralphm> Drag race!
[20:42:10] <MattJ> :)
[20:42:51] <dwd> Trickle ICE has been in Jingle since year zero pretty much, right?
[20:43:54] <fippo> yeah
[20:44:36] <fippo> it's never been really documented though
[20:44:44] <fippo> i still need to push emil to update 0176
[20:45:18] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:45:18] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:46:00] *** Simon shows as "online"
[20:46:45] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:46:45] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:47:41] <fippo> https://twitter.com/HCornflower/status/405800002909241344 :-)
[20:48:26] <dwd> We've allowed trickling candidates since at least 2009, I see that in 176. I'll claim we've done trickle all that time and more. :-)
[20:48:53] <fippo> imo, emil has been doing more for trickle than ekr and justin
[20:48:58] *** Zash shows as "away" and his status message is "Eating"
[20:49:30] <fippo> ah... it's draft-ivov-mmusic.. so it's clear.
[20:51:04] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:53:29] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[20:53:47] *** Simon has left the room
[20:55:47] <fippo> ice isn't signalling...
[20:55:49] <fippo> erm...
[20:55:53] *** Simon has joined the room
[20:55:53] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:55:54] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:56:01] <fippo> i'll let emil handle this.
[20:56:20] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[20:57:12] <fippo> btw board guys still around...
[20:57:36] <fippo> do you want to motivate me by using the jitsi video bridge for your next meeting? :-)
[20:57:46] <MattJ> No, they don't
[20:58:16] <MattJ> unless you build in realtime text-to-speech and speech-to-text
[20:58:35] <MattJ> and preserve dwd's sarcasm correctly
[20:59:29] <bear> fippo - yes please, we have pre meeting chats that it would/could be used
[21:00:05] <bear> but yes, the actual meeting I feel should always be text as that allows everyone to be included
[21:00:11] *** intosi shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:00:31] <ralphm> we do?
[21:00:43] <bear> it's a new thing just started today
[21:00:48] <MattJ> Conspiracy
[21:01:07] <bear> simon, laura and my late self were talking about the new web pages
[21:01:23] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:02:23] <fippo> i think it should be ready until next week ;-)
[21:03:28] <fippo> bear: and after that it's talky which doesn't support the http://bloggeek.me/webrtc-federation/ argument anymore please :-)
[21:03:29] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[21:04:12] *** Simon shows as "online"
[21:04:12] *** Simon shows as "online"
[21:05:31] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:05:31] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:05:41] <MattJ> Sharing a URL is handy
[21:05:50] <MattJ> Until we have XMPP in the browser
[21:06:01] <fippo> it's not.
[21:06:03] <MattJ> as much as I disagree that it's federation
[21:06:14] <SouL> xD
[21:06:26] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:06:38] <fippo> http://hancke.name/why-send-some-a-URI-is-not-a-signalling-protocol.html
[21:07:18] <fippo> basically sending an url is useless unless you have a bidirectional realtime channel
[21:07:22] <bear> it may not be federation or signalling, but it sure makes it great for event planning
[21:07:45] <fippo> sure. henriks "my parents open talky.io/xx at a certain time" is a great usecase
[21:09:27] <MattJ> and it's not handy?
[21:09:41] <fippo> who own talky.io/xx?
[21:09:54] <bear> we haven't implemented reserved rooms yet
[21:09:58] <bear> on talky.io
[21:10:12] *** intosi shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:10:17] <fippo> awww, use xmpp :-)
[21:10:39] <MattJ> anonymous auth
[21:10:58] <ralphm> the problem is in the 'at a certain time'
[21:11:03] <fippo> i still think that having talky as an argument against federation is somewhat silly when henrik says "yup, talky is a silo. this is bad"
[21:11:25] <ralphm> Using hangouts, my wife first checks if I'm online before calling me there, when abroad.
[21:11:29] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:11:46] <bear> we are working on something that is more federated and uses xmpp
[21:12:01] <fippo> bear: i know :-)
[21:12:37] <ralphm> bear: haha, fippo is indeed, together with Lance, I assume.
[21:12:55] <bear> :)
[21:13:17] <fippo> bear: once you move over to xmpp, you get a great video bridge for free ;-)
[21:13:45] <bear> yep
[21:13:49] *** remko has joined the room
[21:13:50] *** remko shows as "online"
[21:13:58] <bear> I would love to have the skills to work on a video muxer
[21:14:18] <fippo> heh. i don't either
[21:14:25] <fippo> but the jitsi guys have
[21:14:43] <bear> sure I can hack up something - but proper muxing requires mad audio/video skills
[21:14:50] <fippo> well... enough to avoid muxing video
[21:15:22] <remko> sorr for being too lazy to look this up, but what's the recommended way of submitting a change to the XEP XSL stylesheet?
[21:15:42] <MattJ> "email stpeter"? :)
[21:15:45] <Tobias> a patch to someone who has git access?
[21:16:22] <remko> i'll go with 'email stpeter', i'm sure he doesn't get enough email
[21:16:31] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:16:34] <Tobias> right
[21:16:51] *** dwd shows as "online"
[21:17:00] <MattJ> What is the change, out of curiosity?
[21:17:20] <Tobias> changes font to comic sans ^^
[21:18:03] <remko> mattj: support for the <sub> span element
[21:18:36] <Tobias> what does it do? what's the use case?
[21:19:43] <remko> brace yourself: it adds support for a <sub> element and transforms it into ... a <sub> element
[21:19:54] <Tobias> what does it do for the PDF output? :)
[21:20:31] <remko> oh blimey, we have multiple XSL stylesheets?
[21:20:56] <Tobias> yup...there is a xep2texml.xsl i think
[21:21:12] <remko> yeah, and fo.xsl.
[21:21:19] <Tobias> fo.xsl is deprecated
[21:21:24] <remko> oh, phew
[21:21:34] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:21:47] *Tobias is working on image support for the PDF too
[21:22:27] <bear> what file do you need changed?
[21:22:57] <remko> bear: xep.xsl
[21:23:09] <bear> k, let me get setup
[21:23:09] <remko> tobias: the xep2texml seems to be missing other stuff too, no? I don't see 'em' or 'pre' in there
[21:23:25] <Tobias> probably...it's on my todo :)
[21:23:40] <Tobias> those two should be easy though
[21:23:57] <remko> well, then <sub> should be easy too. Just add it to your todo list ;-)
[21:24:10] *** Simon shows as "online"
[21:24:11] *** Simon shows as "online"
[21:24:28] <Tobias> what does it do? subscript? so the latex _{} or so?
[21:25:05] <remko> yeah
[21:25:12] <Tobias> ah..ok
[21:25:18] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:25:18] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:25:30] <remko> although that's only in math; googling seems to come up with some packages to do it in plain text mode. Yay LaTeX :)
[21:25:40] <Tobias> heh :)
[21:26:38] *** Simon shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:27:43] *** Simon shows as "online"
[21:27:43] *** Simon shows as "online"
[21:27:51] *** Simon has left the room
[21:30:47] *** SouL shows as "away"
[21:34:30] <bear> remko - done, please sanity check the diff
[21:35:14] <remko> bear: thanks a bunch, i'll check it when it goes public
[21:36:46] <bear> yea, that is the flip side to this - do I have to poke something to get it in use
[21:38:28] *** intosi shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[21:41:40] *** Kev shows as "online"
[21:47:06] *** remko has left the room
[21:48:29] *** jabberjocke has joined the room
[21:48:29] *** jabberjocke shows as "online"
[21:50:46] *** SouL shows as "xa"
[21:59:59] *** Kev shows as "away"
[22:08:31] *** Tobias has joined the room
[22:08:37] *** Tobias shows as "online" and his status message is "Available"
[22:10:30] *** Tobias has left the room
[22:38:17] *** Kev shows as "online"
[22:42:37] *** dwd shows as "away" and his status message is " (Away as a result of being idle more than 5 min)"
[22:44:54] *** Alex has left the room
[22:50:25] *** Kev shows as "away"
[22:52:37] *** dwd shows as "xa" and his status message is " (Not available as a result of being idle more than 15 min)"
[22:54:21] *bear submits meeting minutes for today and last week
[22:54:30] *bear sends members@ post about GSoC
[22:54:35] *bear goes to dinner
[23:04:17] *** tato shows as "online"
[23:08:31] <ralphm> Love the match report
[23:15:26] *** Lance shows as "away"
[23:37:35] *** dwd has left the room
[23:39:55] *** tato has left the room
[23:40:28] *** intosi shows as "away" and his status message is "Away"
[23:44:42] *** MattJ shows as "away"
[23:51:09] *** Lance shows as "online"
[23:51:19] *** tato has joined the room