XSF Discussion - 2017-02-28


  1. efrit has joined
  2. Mancho has left
  3. Mancho has left
  4. vurpo has left
  5. vurpo has joined
  6. mimi89999 has joined
  7. moparisthebest has joined
  8. kaboom has joined
  9. kaboom has left
  10. kaboom has joined
  11. Lance has left
  12. Lance has joined
  13. Lance has left
  14. Lance has joined
  15. kaboom has left
  16. uc has left
  17. uc has joined
  18. Lance has left
  19. Lance has joined
  20. Lance has left
  21. Lance has joined
  22. Lance has left
  23. uc has joined
  24. Lance has joined
  25. uc has joined
  26. Lance has left
  27. Lance has joined
  28. jere has left
  29. jere has joined
  30. Lance has left
  31. Lance has joined
  32. jere has left
  33. jere has joined
  34. Lance has left
  35. Lance has joined
  36. Mancho has joined
  37. mimi89999 has joined
  38. devnull has left
  39. devnull has joined
  40. jere has joined
  41. waqas has left
  42. Valerian has joined
  43. moparisthebest has joined
  44. xnyhps has left
  45. SamWhited has left
  46. goffi has joined
  47. suzyo has joined
  48. Valerian has left
  49. xnyhps has left
  50. Lance has left
  51. Flow has joined
  52. daniel I wonder if it's too much to ask from gsoc students to join the muc
  53. suzyo has left
  54. suzyo has joined
  55. daniel has left
  56. daniel has joined
  57. vurpo has left
  58. vurpo has joined
  59. daniel has left
  60. daniel has joined
  61. Tobias has joined
  62. vurpo has left
  63. vurpo has joined
  64. jcbrand has joined
  65. MattJ I don't think it's too much to ask
  66. vurpo has left
  67. vurpo has joined
  68. Mancho has left
  69. Valerian has joined
  70. uc has joined
  71. winfried has left
  72. Steve Kille has left
  73. Steve Kille has left
  74. Martin has joined
  75. jcbrand has left
  76. Zash Newspeak?
  77. Steve Kille has joined
  78. jonasw or Zeitungsenten ("newspaper ducks") in german
  79. bra has joined
  80. xnyhps has left
  81. xnyhps has left
  82. intosi has joined
  83. Kev has joined
  84. Ge0rG which is probably translated as "hoax"
  85. mimi89999 has joined
  86. Tobias nah... 📰🦆 sounds way better
  87. jonasw that’s even outside unicode 8.x. you’re unfair. ;P
  88. Tobias jonasw, it just shows the effort :)
  89. Alex has joined
  90. jonasw has left
  91. Zash Over U+9000?
  92. dwd daniel, There's a gsoc@ MUC specifically for them to join, and we ask them to.
  93. Mancho has left
  94. Tobias so we don't interrupt the ongoing board meeting here
  95. Ge0rG This board meeting is the best one. The longest board meeting. It's awesome.
  96. dwd Tobias, Alright for you. I've been taking minuites for the past six months.
  97. Ge0rG My Android won't show that secod glyph either, what is it?
  98. Tobias those minutes will probably blow up mailman when the meeing concludes
  99. Guus to be fair, I think that the subject has only been set like two weeks ago...
  100. daniel Ge0rG: time to get a new phone
  101. Ge0rG daniel: time to get a new OS update.
  102. Tobias Ge0rG, it's one of the ducks, obviously
  103. Ge0rG but maybe I'll get me a Nokia.
  104. dwd The subject was indeed set only in response to my assertion that nobody uses the subject.
  105. dwd And then left as-is, because nobody uses the subject...
  106. Tobias which kind of shows this UX inconsistency definilty needs to be fixed with MIX :)
  107. dwd Tobias, I'd honestly prefer we built a feature people actually wanted to use. But not a hill to die on, etc.
  108. dwd is just a grumpy old man on this - haha - subject.
  109. Zash has left
  110. suzyo has left
  111. uc has joined
  112. Guus ghee, who knew that there was content under that 'recent events' list on the wiki? :)
  113. Valerian has left
  114. daniel has left
  115. jubalh has joined
  116. Guus has left
  117. Valerian has joined
  118. daniel has left
  119. daniel has joined
  120. daniel has left
  121. daniel has joined
  122. daniel has left
  123. daniel has joined
  124. suzyo has joined
  125. Lance has joined
  126. daniel has left
  127. daniel has joined
  128. daniel has left
  129. daniel has joined
  130. kalkin has left
  131. xnyhps has left
  132. jcbrand has left
  133. xnyhps has left
  134. daniel has left
  135. daniel has joined
  136. xnyhps has left
  137. Valerian has left
  138. jubalh has left
  139. daniel has left
  140. daniel has joined
  141. xnyhps has left
  142. xnyhps has left
  143. daniel has left
  144. daniel has joined
  145. Valerian has joined
  146. sezuan has left
  147. xnyhps has left
  148. jere has joined
  149. xnyhps has left
  150. jere has left
  151. Lance has left
  152. jere has joined
  153. xnyhps has left
  154. xnyhps has left
  155. xnyhps has left
  156. sezuan has left
  157. jcbrand has joined
  158. xnyhps has left
  159. xnyhps has left
  160. Yagiza has joined
  161. xnyhps has left
  162. xnyhps has left
  163. xnyhps has left
  164. xnyhps has left
  165. xnyhps has left
  166. xnyhps has left
  167. Mancho has left
  168. Lance has joined
  169. Mancho has left
  170. Mancho has joined
  171. xnyhps has left
  172. daniel has left
  173. suzyo has left
  174. sonny has left
  175. jere has left
  176. jere has joined
  177. vurpo has left
  178. vurpo has joined
  179. xnyhps has left
  180. daniel has left
  181. Zash what the
  182. Guus ?
  183. Zash Looking at https://xmpp.org/software/libraries.html and noticed that the link for Verse points to the older unsupported version I never used, instead of the new one that's basically a subset of Prosody libraries.
  184. Guus I am looking forward to your PR :)
  185. Zash MattJ: Do you have a web page for the new verse, other than the source repo?
  186. Guus http://code.matthewwild.co.uk/verse ?
  187. Guus ah, that's the repo
  188. Lance has left
  189. Guus http://www.matthewwild.co.uk/projects/verse/home
  190. Zash Guus: PR'd
  191. Guus merged
  192. waqas has joined
  193. uc Zash: hi, looking at babbler, it too points to old version.
  194. xnyhps has left
  195. Zash uc: Your turn to write a PR :)
  196. MattJ Thanks Zash
  197. uc Ok sorry, I think I forgot I clicked on something, it looks ok.
  198. Zash MattJ: You can thank me by writing docs for Verse :)
  199. Zash Guus: The in-Github editors syntax highlighting seemed upset about the unescaped * in "IP*Works Internet Toolkit". Is whatever does the rendering fine with \* ?
  200. Valerian has left
  201. Valerian has joined
  202. Ge0rG Can we please-pretty-please announce a sunset period for old clients, servers and libraries to jdev@ and kick out everything that didn't react within a month?
  203. Guus Zash - i don't know. Try and find out? I've added Vagrant-based instructions that should make it pretty easy to run a virtual machine with the website
  204. Guus Ge0rG: sure.
  205. Tobias Ge0rG, blablabla
  206. Ge0rG unfortunately, the according discussion in [board|council] dissipated into bikeshedding.
  207. Tobias Ge0rG, we need have an implementation ready first for our website publishing
  208. jonasw Tobias: have you worked on the jinja thing?
  209. Tobias jonasw, haven't gotten around doing that yet
  210. jonasw Tobias: need help? :)
  211. Zash Guus: Vawhatnow?
  212. jonasw I can into pelican and jinja2
  213. Tobias jonasw, if you have the time, feel free to do a PR on the xmpp.org repo that does this kind of thing. I'll be happy to review it
  214. Guus ash: https://www.vagrantup.com/
  215. Guus Zash: https://www.vagrantup.com/
  216. jonasw Tobias: okay :)
  217. Zash Website too flashy, I'm skeptical.
  218. Tobias if we have this ready in PR form and tested that it works, we can announce the new process on jdev, and merge the PR a week later and done
  219. Guus Zash: it predates stuff like docker, I think
  220. Ge0rG Tobias: how is website publishing happening now? I read Guus' #246 PR merge mail and wondered why I can't find the "getting started" page
  221. Bunneh Ge0rG: Mix #246 https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/246
  222. Ge0rG Bunneh: no. wrong repository!
  223. Zash Ge0rG: How is Bunneh supposed to know?
  224. Guus Ge0rG: Yeah, I've been wondering about that too
  225. Ge0rG Zash: dunno. How am I supposed to tell it?
  226. Guus not sure what happened there - Locally, it worked fine.
  227. Guus I am *assuming* that the website gets periodically updated from github, automatically. If there's an actual person involved, then someone is now blocking that change and I'm not aware :)
  228. kalkin has left
  229. Tobias Ge0rG, it's three parts, pelican building HTML files, and sed replacing a longish string in one HTML file with the list of XEPs
  230. Ge0rG Tobias: that was only two parts.
  231. Tobias the list of XEPs is generated on demand by the XEP editor, while the website is automatically rebuilt from master 3-4 times a day i think
  232. Tobias Ge0rG, don't tell me how to count my thoughts :P
  233. jere has joined
  234. Guus Tobias: Ge0rG is referring to a page that I added in https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/246 - which was merged two days ago, but is not available on the website.
  235. Ge0rG Tobias: the two biggest problems in Computer Science: 2. Event Ordering; 1. Naming Things; and 3. Off-by-one errors
  236. Guus I assume I messed up somewhere, but I haven't spent the time to figure out what went wrong.
  237. jonasw FYI, starting to work on the overhaul of library pages with magic expiry
  238. Guus \o/
  239. Tobias jonasw, thx...if that works nicely, we can extend that to client and server pages too
  240. jonasw well, yes, I’m doing that all in one rush.
  241. jonasw or at least in a way which is easily extensible
  242. Ge0rG jonasw: sounds interesting
  243. Guus Ge0rG: I'd be grateful if you can figure out what went wrong with my merge though.
  244. Zash Is there like a manifest of pages cached somewhere?
  245. Ge0rG Guus: I'm sorry, I have no idea about how the website works internally
  246. kalkin has left
  247. Guus Ge0rG: neither do I, but that's not stopping me :)
  248. Alex has left
  249. uc has left
  250. suzyo has joined
  251. jubalh has joined
  252. Lance has joined
  253. jonasw I’m going to spread the word on the XSF-GSOC, do any other projects have a nice overview page like this? https://conversations.im/gsoc.html
  254. Tobias jonasw, there is https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summer_of_Code_2017 but with less nice CSS on top of it
  255. xnyhps has left
  256. jonasw thanks!
  257. Guus has left
  258. Guus has left
  259. xnyhps has left
  260. xnyhps has left
  261. xnyhps has left
  262. Lance has left
  263. xnyhps has left
  264. sezuan has left
  265. xnyhps has left
  266. xnyhps has left
  267. Steve Kille has left
  268. Steve Kille has joined
  269. blipp has left
  270. Alex has joined
  271. suzyo has left
  272. suzyo has joined
  273. blipp has joined
  274. xnyhps has left
  275. Flow has left
  276. mimi89999 has joined
  277. winfried has left
  278. Mancho has left
  279. Mancho has joined
  280. vurpo has left
  281. vurpo has joined
  282. Flow has joined
  283. vurpo has left
  284. vurpo has joined
  285. jonasw Tobias: https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/269
  286. jonasw worksforme locally, let’s see what travis thinks of it :)
  287. Lance has joined
  288. Tobias jonasw, thx...will five that a review soon
  289. Kev That looks interesting, thanks.
  290. Tobias jonasw, thx...will give that a review soon
  291. Ge0rG jonasw: you could replace `last_renewed` with a bit of git-blame magic :P
  292. jonasw Ge0rG: what if someone fixes a typo or converts URLs to https without interacting with the project?
  293. Tobias right
  294. Ge0rG jonasw: and there is the opposite problem of a project that is maintained but where the record doesn't change ;)
  295. Tobias the idea is that the authors can issue PRs, that update the last_renew timestamp to a time in the past.
  296. Kev It's not much fun to issue PRs just for updating a timestamp, but it's also low-maintenance for the XSF and that seems like a good thing. And it's not too onerous.
  297. Kev It's certainly a not-very-contentious thing to get done Right Now.
  298. kalkin has left
  299. jonasw as mentioned in the PR, updating a timestamp is done by .
  300. Ge0rG Kev: +1
  301. jonasw as mentioned in the PR, updating a timestamp is done by ./data/update-entry.py data/libraries.json $libraryname && git commit -avm "Update timestamp of $library" && git push
  302. jonasw that’s low maintenance even without PRs.
  303. jonasw gah, there are obvious bugs in that line, but you get the idea
  304. suzyo has left
  305. Link Mauve I haven’t yet sent a formal proposal about a format for developers to describe their software, but I have worked on it and am planning on sending that soon-ish.
  306. Link Mauve It would remove the need to do a PR against every website listing their software.
  307. Martin has left
  308. Link Mauve https://linkmauve.fr/files/client-sample.xml for a WIP of which I’m very not satisfied yet, but trying to include the information I want to have available.
  309. jonasw Link Mauve: please make your server send a content-type for xml. firefox probably tries to render this as html because there’s no Content-Type header.
  310. Zash y u no disco#info
  311. Link Mauve As discussed at the summit, I also want it to be usable like on the w3c specification pages, where they list implementations directly on the page.
  312. Link Mauve Zash, because it’s highly incomplete, requires an instance of it to be online and reachable through s2s, requires this software to be a client or a server, etc.
  313. jonasw Link Mauve: looking at the XML: logo maybe as favicon?
  314. Martin has joined
  315. Link Mauve jonasw, “Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8”
  316. Zash Link Mauve: I mean the format, not the method
  317. Link Mauve Firefox is probably trying to be smart with the xmlns:xhtml.
  318. jonasw Link Mauve: why did firebug lie to me.
  319. Link Mauve Zash, and extend it with all of the informations we need?
  320. jonasw agh, looked at the wrong header because it came out of the cache :(
  321. Link Mauve Zash, and extend it with all of the information we need?
  322. Mancho has left
  323. jonasw firefox bug then, I have never said a thing, Link Mauve
  324. jonasw Zash: Link Mauves XML even contains disco:identity
  325. Zash Link Mauve: Maybe, what info is required?
  326. Link Mauve jonasw, the final thing would probably be a RDF-like format, but I don’t know enough about RDF or the semantic web yet to design it like that immediately.
  327. kalkin has left
  328. Zash Link Mauve: Sounds overkill
  329. Link Mauve Zash, have a look at the sample I posted.
  330. Link Mauve Zash, maybe, as I said I don’t know enough about it to make an informed decision.
  331. jonasw Zash: not neccessarily: using established formats makes it easy to parse with existing tooling
  332. jonasw og:image etc. are well-established tags, I’d be interested how tools like facebook react if you simply link that thing (and make the webserver pretend it’s XHTML… just to fool them)
  333. jonasw although, facebook etc. are notoriously bad with XHTML, especially when namespace prefixes are used :(
  334. Link Mauve jonasw, I would guess you don’t even need to pretend it’s XHTML, text/xml is already a valid XHTML content-type.
  335. jonasw it’ll probably still break on namespace prefixes :/
  336. SamWhited Everything is bad when namespace prefixes are used :) I'm always half tempted to suggest we write XMPP 2.0 with the only change being that namespace prefixes aren't allowed.
  337. Link Mauve I originally wanted to use these og: properties, but there was e.g. no way to specify the licence, or to specify what is a logo and what is a screenshot, so I gave up on that idea.
  338. jonasw SamWhited: with a proper XML parser, namespace prefixes are irrelevant to the application.
  339. Zash SamWhited: <stream xmlns="urn:xmpp:stanzas"> yeeeeaaaah
  340. SamWhited Zash: yes please!
  341. Ge0rG has joined
  342. Zash or just urn:xmpp?
  343. jonasw SamWhited: <iq xmlns="jabber:client"> for each stanza? :)
  344. SamWhited jonasw: No, default namespaces are still a thing, just not prefixes.
  345. Zash jonasw: jabber:client and jabber:server ought to go away completely
  346. jonasw right
  347. SamWhited Half the XML parsers out there aren't proper, or are buggy… it's just needless complexity that makes implementing XML difficult (which in theory I don't have to care about, but if <language-of-choice>'s built in XML parser is broken, I do)
  348. Zash SamWhited: This means no namespaced attributes.
  349. SamWhited Zash: Sounds good to me
  350. Zash SamWhited: You can start by getting Pidgin to get rid of {http://www.google.com/talk/protocol/auth}client-uses-full-bind-result='true' :)
  351. jonasw SamWhited: the instant stream resumption xep would break then :)
  352. Zash Redesign it
  353. SamWhited jonasw: Yah, it would be a backwards incompatible change; I'm pretty okay with that for a 2.0 version (not that I actually expect this to happen, it's just fun to think about; I have RFC modifications floating about for this somewhere :) )
  354. SamWhited Also, RE Pidgin: … wat?
  355. jonasw SamWhited: if you get rid of namespace prefixes altogether, why not go with JSON right away :)
  356. SamWhited jonasw: Because JSON doesn't have namespaces, and isn't really streamable.
  357. jonasw Link Mauve: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4287 might be interesting for your usecase
  358. Zash SamWhited: GTalk compat stuff that annoys me because to no end as it shows up in logs all the time.
  359. SamWhited Zash: That hurts me :)
  360. Mancho has joined
  361. Link Mauve jonasw, Atom would be fine as a container format, to notify subscribers of new releases, but it doesn’t define any of the elements we will need in there.
  362. jonasw Link Mauve: atom:rights, atom:logo, atom:published, atom:updated, atom:title seem all like very relevant things; and it explicitly allows extensions in foreign namespaces
  363. Link Mauve jonasw, indeed, maybe I’ll use that as a container format, especially since I plan on requiring it to be hosted as a PubSub feed, so multiple websites can get notified of new versions.
  364. xnyhps has left
  365. kalkin has left
  366. jonasw Link Mauve: https://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml#link-relations-1 those may also be interesting (cf. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988 )
  367. vurpo has left
  368. vurpo has joined
  369. xnyhps has left
  370. Link Mauve jonasw, thanks.
  371. jonasw (I once wrote a blog/static webpage framework before I came across pelican, I spent quite some time figuring out how to put metadata correctly into websites so that they produce nice snippets in social media)
  372. winfried has left
  373. Lance has left
  374. vurpo has left
  375. vurpo has joined
  376. Kev ralphm: Could you please add me to and make me an admin of https://trello.com/xmppstandardsfoundation/members ?
  377. Kev 'kevinsmith', I believe. The avatar is pretty obviously me.
  378. jere has joined
  379. Valerian has left
  380. kalkin has left
  381. kaboom has joined
  382. Mancho has left
  383. Mancho has joined
  384. xnyhps has left
  385. jere has left
  386. jere has joined
  387. xnyhps has left
  388. sezuan has left
  389. kaboom has left
  390. kaboom has joined
  391. tim@boese-ban.de has joined
  392. kaboom has left
  393. Guus has left
  394. bjc has left
  395. bjc has joined
  396. jubalh has left
  397. bjc has left
  398. Ge0rG has joined
  399. mimi89999 has joined
  400. bjc has joined
  401. sonny has joined
  402. uc has left
  403. bjc has left
  404. uc has joined
  405. pep. has left
  406. Neustradamus has left
  407. Neustradamus has joined
  408. Lance has joined
  409. intosi has left
  410. kalkin has left
  411. SamWhited Do we already have a gsoc MUC somewhere? (eg. where should we point people who ask about XSF gsoc?)
  412. Zash gsoc@muc.xmpp.org ?
  413. SamWhited oh hey, yup, that worked. Thanks.
  414. SamWhited I should get a client that allows me to actually list rooms one day.
  415. SamWhited (although I suppose I should have just guessed that one)
  416. dwd SamWhited, Instead you have a conversational UI to search rooms with full natural language support, called "asking Zash".
  417. SamWhited dwd: It works pretty well in Conversations and Mcabber!
  418. dwd SamWhited, Cross-platform server-side, FTW.
  419. Mancho has left
  420. vurpo has left
  421. kalkin has left
  422. Neustradamus has left
  423. Neustradamus has joined
  424. SamWhited has left
  425. Lance has left
  426. Kev has left
  427. Yagiza has left
  428. Guus has left
  429. Valerian has joined
  430. Mancho has joined
  431. Lance has joined
  432. SamWhited has left
  433. jcbrand has left
  434. kalkin has left
  435. Steve Kille has left
  436. Steve Kille has left
  437. Lance has left
  438. daniel has left
  439. kalkin has left
  440. jonasw @council: could you put https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-February/032328.html on your agenda for the next meeting?
  441. SamWhited jonasw: What would the actual discussion be about?
  442. jonasw whether a modification of XEP-115 is worth the trouble
  443. Zash Clarifying is always good
  444. SamWhited nods
  445. jonasw it’s more than clarifying
  446. SamWhited I'll add it as soon as us-east-1 comes back and the entire internet stops being broken.
  447. jonasw I can write up what I’m thinking about; it would re-do the concatenation of the disco information because as it currently stands it’s weird and it’s been discussed a few years back.
  448. SamWhited (or maybe Trello having trouble is unrelated, but I just got an alarm from Amazon and now nothing works, so I'm making the assumption that they're related…)
  449. Ge0rG has left
  450. jonasw SamWhited: to be clear, I specifically include the suggestion by Florian: > And after we decided a successor of SHA-1 for XEP-0115 we could also fix the existing flaws of XEP-0115 like [1], because this would require a namespace bump anyway.
  451. Zash What requires a namespace bump?
  452. jonasw Zash: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-February/032324.html > But it may be sensible to change the mandatory hash algorithm of XEP-0155. And after we decided a successor of SHA-1 for XEP-0115 we could also fix the existing flaws of XEP-0115 like [1], because this would require a namespace bump anyway.
  453. Steve Kille has joined
  454. Lance has joined
  455. Guus has left
  456. Zash Are there any clients using features such that their caps hash would change if the special characters were escaped?
  457. SamWhited Changing a new thing to be mandatory would require a bump, I think
  458. Zash What if we pretend that the algorithm was always like that?
  459. Zash Just, poorly documented
  460. Zash And put some text into an implementation note
  461. jonasw what escaping are you talking about?
  462. Zash Hrm, I lost my caps compression experiment :(
  463. Zash > Joe Hildebrand (one of the authors of the XEP) mentioned that his intention was that you would escape any "<" to "&lt;" in feature names. But this isn't specified in the XEP and isn't obvious.
  464. Zash jonasw: The [1]
  465. jonasw right, that wouldn’t help with Attack 3 and 4 outlined in [1]
  466. Zash poke waqas
  467. Lance has left
  468. Lance has joined
  469. Ge0rG Let's bump all the namespaces at once. It even better. Let's bump the namespace of XMPP to XMPP2!
  470. jonasw Ge0rG: you’re late to the party, SamWhited outlined XMPP 2.0 above
  471. SamWhited Ge0rG: That's part of my evil plan, *shhh*
  472. moparisthebest is it going to be json over http?
  473. moparisthebest cause then I'm out >:)
  474. Ge0rG With a DAG based storage backend?
  475. jonasw moparisthebest: https://i.imgur.com/cT3NEdI.gif ;-)
  476. moparisthebest I mean we might as well re-invent it right, why not, NIH syndrome is cool
  477. Zash Globally distributed DAG in MongoDB with extra blockchain on top?
  478. jonasw I am torn between existential despair and laughter.
  479. SamWhited Zash: You forgot the Docker; gotta use some Docker.
  480. SamWhited Otherwise it's not webscale.
  481. jonasw oh and Cloud
  482. moparisthebest right, and obviously the only choice for language is javascript running in node.js
  483. Zash http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/nosql/fault-tolerance.png
  484. moparisthebest yea that is my favorite one from that site
  485. moparisthebest maybe my favorite cartoon of all time
  486. jonasw now I need to watch Erlang The Movie again.
  487. moparisthebest especially the sick erlang burn (sorry ejabberd guys)
  488. SamWhited Erlang is one of the coolest languages ever made, and concepts from it (and other similar CSP style languages) should have become part of mainstream programming 20 years ago… and I still can't stand to write anything in it just because I hate reading it.
  489. jonasw disclaimer: I never knowingly saw a bit of erlang code.
  490. moparisthebest same jonasw I'm kind of ashamed to admit I've never looked at it at all :)
  491. Lance has left
  492. Lance has joined
  493. Lance has left
  494. Lance has joined
  495. Guus has left
  496. Guus has left
  497. lskdjf has joined
  498. Lance has left
  499. Lance has joined
  500. jere has joined
  501. jere has joined
  502. SamWhited Just for fun, if you're interested, watch this and spot the Erlang reference :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTEmbeENF4
  503. SamWhited (and then still don't go write Erlang, because it will make your eyes bleed)
  504. Lance has left
  505. Lance has joined
  506. jonasw I wonder whether it’s worse than Cortex-M0 ASM
  507. moparisthebest I guess arc would be the only one that would know :)
  508. lskdjf has left
  509. Ge0rG Some years ago, when I still was running ejabberd, a student approached me for inspiration. I told him that erlang is awesome and totally different, and now he's working at a telco development company.
  510. moparisthebest using erlang?
  511. jonasw :D
  512. Ge0rG Yes
  513. moparisthebest my favorite dig at erlang is this: https://www.erlang-solutions.com/blog/mongooseim-2-0-0beta2-the-power-of-an-xmpp-platform-with-the-simplicity-of-a-rest-api.html
  514. Ge0rG Developing tr069 equipment and Hotspot login things
  515. moparisthebest knocks XML for being 'not trendy', uses erlang...
  516. efrit has joined
  517. waqas Zash?
  518. Zash waqas: there was mention of the caps issue earlier
  519. kalkin has left
  520. waqas I haven't read the backlog, but did it start with sha1?
  521. Zash I guess
  522. jonasw waqas: context is this: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-February/032324.html it appears that now is a good chance to fix xep 115
  523. winfried has left
  524. waqas Caps is completely broken. Updating the XEP to suggest XML escaping isn't going to fix it. Please read old threads for why. The caps algorithm is bad. sha-1 to sha-2/3 is meaningless given how broken the algorithm is.
  525. xnyhps has left
  526. jonasw waqas: yes, i mean actually fixing
  527. Ge0rG Wasn't there a workaround for clients to recalculate the checksum?
  528. waqas Not a working one Ge0rG. The simple workaround is to not share caps cache across JIDs.
  529. waqas And no server side implementation does that for PEP
  530. MattJ The "old thread" is https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2011-August/025011.html
  531. goffi has left
  532. waqas Which links to my older thread: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/security/2009-July/000812.html
  533. waqas Wow, it was 8 years ago
  534. MattJ Feel old? :)
  535. Ge0rG That ejabberd story made me feel old as well. Sigh.
  536. lskdjf has joined
  537. Lance has left
  538. Ge0rG Also that I'm using this nickname for over 20 years already.
  539. Lance has joined
  540. xnyhps has left
  541. lskdjf has left
  542. kalkin has left
  543. lskdjf has joined
  544. kaboom has joined
  545. lskdjf has left
  546. lskdjf has joined
  547. daniel Security awareness doesn't seem to run very strong among in the xsf
  548. Zash That's what the IETF is for
  549. daniel That xep should be retracted
  550. vurpo has left
  551. SamWhited It could use some pretty serious work…
  552. Zash It could use xep-300
  553. daniel SamWhited: just retract it. Copy past the xml over in a new xep with a new namespace and do the nul thing with sha2 Dave suggested 8 years ago
  554. daniel If you don't retract it it get forgotten for another 8 years
  555. lskdjf has left
  556. lskdjf has joined
  557. SamWhited oh, yah, it's draft, so maybe that would be the more practical course of action
  558. Valerian has left
  559. jonasw daniel: +1
  560. jonasw although it might be wise to not use NUL but the field separators in the last control characters up to U+0020
  561. jonasw that allows to convey the structure
  562. jonasw and they’re still disallowed in XML
  563. jonasw I’d be happy to write that up.
  564. kaboom has left
  565. Zash Are you sure that they are disallowed?
  566. waqas Note that the null thing isn't sufficient. The data model is nested, and you need at least two delimiters, if not more.
  567. waqas \0 and \1 would work. Both are disallowed in XML.
  568. jonasw waqas: that’s why I suggest to use FS DS etc. from ASCII
  569. jonasw Zash: https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#charsets characters does not cover 0x00 through 0x1f, except for 0x09 (tab), 0x0a (newline), 0x0d (carriage return)
  570. Ge0rG There are field and record separator characters in ASCII. I'm even using those in my xmpp client
  571. jonasw this includes CDATA sections as well as normal text and attribute data
  572. jonasw Ge0rG: +1
  573. lskdjf has left
  574. Ge0rG But I felt dirty for implementing them.
  575. jonasw why? :)
  576. SamWhited has left
  577. Ge0rG Because I was abusing Android's key value XML storage to contain a table of ASCII separated key value pairs
  578. jonasw :D
  579. waqas Ge0rG: Was the hack really that dirty? I don't know what you did, but I'm reminded of the story of Mel. Read that one? :)
  580. lskdjf has joined
  581. Ge0rG waqas: nope
  582. waqas Ge0rG: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/mel.html
  583. uc has joined
  584. Ge0rG https://github.com/pfleidi/yaxim/blob/master/src/org/yaxim/androidclient/data/YaximConfiguration.java#L195-L202
  585. efrit has left
  586. efrit has joined
  587. daniel has left
  588. Ge0rG waqas: ah, that story!
  589. kalkin has left
  590. efrit has joined
  591. daniel has joined
  592. waqas Zash, jonasw, Ge0rG: This is the important email in the thread, explaining the problem: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2011-August/025035.html
  593. waqas daniel: ^
  594. jonasw waqas: thanks
  595. jonasw that’s why I’m in favour of using the ASCII control codes for structural information. there are four control codepoints for that.
  596. waqas Sigh, that thread is painful to read. I was being such a pain :P
  597. kalkin has left
  598. jonasw you are right though :)
  599. waqas Always
  600. SamWhited Being a pain about security issues is a good thing.
  601. SamWhited Please keep doing it :)
  602. waqas Unfortunately it wasn't effective. Things went nowhere :)
  603. Zash Talking didn't help? How unusual :)
  604. Valerian has joined
  605. jonasw SamWhited: being in council (other council members may of course chime in) what do you think is more sensible? (a) write up a fresh XEP based on the idea of XEP-115 with new hash function and new algorithm to generate the input for the hash function, based on waqas thoughts (b) write up a patch for XEP-115 with new mandatory hash function and new algorithm to generate the input for the hash function, based on waqas thoughts (c) wait for the next council meeting before doing anything. (d) none of the above, please fill in here: _____________
  606. jonasw XEP-115 was hurting my eyes ever since I started implementing it, and I want to see it fixed.
  607. SamWhited jonasw: I'm with daniel; (a) makes the most sense to me. Actually doing it is a whole different matter though :)
  608. jonasw then I’m starting to do it right now.
  609. Zash <{newcaps}c node=''><{hashes}hash algo='sha-wesome'>ASDF</hash>{<hash/>...}</c>
  610. SamWhited
  611. Zash jonasw: do it
  612. Zash Do things and talk about them.
  613. efrit has joined
  614. Alex has left
  615. winfried has joined
  616. winfried has joined
  617. waqas I think we should just have a new XEP with a new namespace and a super simple algorithm.
  618. waqas Trying to patch XEP-115… I'm sure many would like to do that, but I've said my piece on my that's a bad idea.
  619. Alex has joined
  620. Guus has left
  621. Valerian has left
  622. Mancho has left
  623. jubalh has joined
  624. jubalh has left
  625. SamWhited Does anyone happen to know where the canonical version of rfc2629.dtd lives (as an actual file so that I don't have to go through and remove all the page breaks and headers that get injected if I try to copy / paste from the RFC)?
  626. SamWhited Or does it live anywhere? All I can find are old draft copies on random non-IETF websites
  627. SamWhited or 7991 or whatever we're on now
  628. jonasw good night everyone
  629. jonasw has left
  630. SamWhited aha! Found a tiny ihdden link on the xml2rfc page
  631. Guus has left
  632. lskdjf has left
  633. jcbrand has joined
  634. efrit has joined
  635. lskdjf has joined
  636. SamWhited Trello just deployed some stuff to not-aws so it's back now; pretty sure someone wanted something on the agenda, but I don't remember what now… something about SHA-1.
  637. jcbrand has left
  638. Zash jonasw 18:51 @council: could you put https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-February/032328.html on your agenda for the next meeting?
  639. SamWhited Another thing I wish either of my clients had so that Zash wouldn't have to take the features place: Search.
  640. SamWhited (thanks)
  641. moparisthebest I'd be more concerned as to how Zash got access to your MAM archive SamWhited
  642. moparisthebest prosody backdoor? someone call the guardian!!!!!
  643. Zash By the use of a magical device called a scroll wheel.
  644. Zash It can see into the past
  645. daniel has left
  646. SamWhited I'm not actually sure there is a way to scroll in mcabber; I assume there is. I should probably figure out the shortcut for that.
  647. daniel has joined
  648. Zash Wild guess: Pg Up
  649. moparisthebest I can see the headline now "Popular chat server has backdoor, developer codname "ScrollWheel""
  650. moparisthebest I can see the headline now "Popular chat server has backdoor, developer codename "ScrollWheel""
  651. SamWhited nah, that changes to the previous/next chat.
  652. Zash ScrollWheel. SamWhited. Coincidence? I think not.
  653. SamWhited looks like Ctrl+P
  654. SamWhited TIL
  655. SamWhited I feel like I knew that at one point
  656. waqas That's for printing...
  657. Zash SamWhited: Hah. So, exact opposite to irssi.
  658. SamWhited yah, the keyboard shortcuts aren't the most consistent thing; some of them are random, some are irssi style, some are vim style
  659. SamWhited mostly I just use the vim style ones and don't know any of the others
  660. vurpo has left
  661. daniel has left
  662. arc what the bloody hell
  663. arc refering to the email that was just sent
  664. Guus has left
  665. SamWhited heh, yah, I wonder where he got that random list of people to send it too
  666. daniel has joined
  667. arc is he refering to the old defunct and should be removed XEPs or something new?
  668. SamWhited ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ one possible outcome of the IoT SIG's work would be to replace the existing stuff (or improve it before we consider advancing them) like we discussed at summit, so I guess he meant the old ones?
  669. Alex has left
  670. vurpo has left
  671. vurpo has joined
  672. Alex has joined
  673. vurpo has left
  674. vurpo has joined
  675. vurpo has left
  676. vurpo has joined
  677. vurpo has left
  678. daniel The idea to throw 115 away came primarily from the desire to act now and deal with a replacement later
  679. efrit has joined
  680. vurpo has joined
  681. jubalh has joined
  682. Lance has left
  683. Guus has left
  684. Ge0rG "The "S" in IoT stands for Security." just has become my quote of the year.
  685. Lance has joined
  686. daniel SamWhited: /buffer up.
  687. daniel has left
  688. SamWhited oh hey, that too; thanks
  689. Mancho has joined
  690. moparisthebest another question because I'm curious, some members of council and board are up for membership renewal this time
  691. moparisthebest what happens if they don't get renewed?
  692. SamWhited There's only one way to find out! :)
  693. moparisthebest :)
  694. moparisthebest ok everyone vote no for Link Mauve so we can find out!
  695. Ge0rG moparisthebest: what incentives are you going to offer? Should I PM you my Bitcoin address?
  696. moparisthebest I'm curious, I'm not paying money curious :)
  697. Guus I for one shall follow Link Mauve in the to be created real XSF. The other XSFses are fake. #sad
  698. Ge0rG Guus: you will create the best xsf. An awesome xsf. There is no other xsf than yours?
  699. Guus Believe me. I create the GREATEST XSF. Be careful of the other ones. Full with bad hombres.
  700. Guus But I am sleepy. Anarchy is postponed until tomorrow. Goodnight.
  701. moparisthebest still waiting on a joke about a wall
  702. SamWhited moparisthebest: Guus' probably going to turn off federation with the other XSFs (and make them pay for it)
  703. moparisthebest thanks
  704. Guus I see that my work here is done.
  705. Zash Something something we're going to build a mod_firewall ... oh wait
  706. Ge0rG Zash: and forbid the Russians to send us messages?
  707. SamWhited ooh yah, that one's better
  708. Ge0rG You meant "bitter"?
  709. SamWhited Too true
  710. Zash We need a joke about proof of work things too
  711. waqas Pow!
  712. Lance has left
  713. Ge0rG Zash: the xsf has proven to work by holding its longest board meeting yet. We don't know how long it is, but it's going on for two weeks already, and it's the best board meeting. It's an awesome board meeting
  714. Ge0rG How much Bitcoin can you make with cheap jokes?
  715. Ge0rG How many xsf members does it take to replace a lightb^W cryptographic hash function?
  716. blipp has left
  717. blipp has joined
  718. Tobias has joined
  719. daniel has joined
  720. vurpo has left
  721. vurpo has joined
  722. jere has left
  723. jere has joined
  724. Mancho has left
  725. vurpo has left
  726. vurpo has joined
  727. moparisthebest has joined
  728. Lance has joined
  729. SamWhited has left
  730. Mancho has left
  731. Tobias waqas, you mean kung pow?
  732. lskdjf has left
  733. Ge0rG Tobias: really awesome movie!
  734. lskdjf has joined
  735. Tobias indeed
  736. Guus has left
  737. SamWhited has joined
  738. SamWhited has joined
  739. lskdjf has left
  740. Mancho has left
  741. kaboom has joined
  742. daniel has left
  743. Alex has left
  744. daniel has joined
  745. daniel has left