XSF logo XSF Discussion - 2017-03-01


  1. daniel has joined
  2. kaboom has left
  3. kaboom has joined
  4. Mancho has left
  5. kaboom has left
  6. kaboom has joined
  7. jere has left
  8. jere has joined
  9. lskdjf has joined
  10. tim@boese-ban.de has joined
  11. tim@boese-ban.de has joined
  12. lskdjf has left
  13. moparisthebest has left
  14. moparisthebest has joined
  15. xnyhps has left
  16. winfried has left
  17. Zash has joined
  18. moparisthebest has left
  19. moparisthebest has joined
  20. vurpo has left
  21. vurpo has joined
  22. kaboom has left
  23. Yagiza has joined
  24. moparisthebest has left
  25. moparisthebest has joined
  26. pep. has left
  27. Mancho has joined
  28. Lance has left
  29. Guus has left
  30. daniel has left
  31. daniel has joined
  32. Guus has left
  33. waqas has left
  34. waqas has joined
  35. waqas has left
  36. Guus has left
  37. Guus has joined
  38. xnyhps has left
  39. jere has left
  40. mimi89999 has left
  41. mimi89999 has left
  42. sezuan has left
  43. jonasw Ge0rG, :D
  44. goffi has joined
  45. jonasw (re 21:44:26 Ge0rG> "The "S" in IoT stands for Security." just has become my quote of the year.)
  46. mimi89999 has joined
  47. daniel has left
  48. daniel has joined
  49. jonasw has left
  50. Guus has left
  51. Guus has joined
  52. daniel has left
  53. daniel has joined
  54. daniel has left
  55. daniel has joined
  56. moparisthebest has joined
  57. xnyhps has left
  58. mimi89999 has joined
  59. mimi89999 has joined
  60. xnyhps has left
  61. SamWhited has left
  62. Guus has left
  63. Guus has joined
  64. vurpo has left
  65. vurpo has joined
  66. Guus has left
  67. Piotr Nosek has joined
  68. Lance has joined
  69. Guus has joined
  70. xnyhps has left
  71. vurpo has left
  72. vurpo has joined
  73. xnyhps has left
  74. daniel has left
  75. daniel has joined
  76. daniel has left
  77. daniel has joined
  78. daniel has left
  79. daniel has joined
  80. Lance has left
  81. daniel has left
  82. daniel has joined
  83. daniel has left
  84. daniel has joined
  85. Tobias has joined
  86. daniel has left
  87. vurpo has left
  88. vurpo has joined
  89. daniel has joined
  90. kalkin has left
  91. daniel has left
  92. daniel has joined
  93. uc has joined
  94. suzyo has joined
  95. vurpo has left
  96. Valerian has joined
  97. Steve Kille has left
  98. jubalh has joined
  99. Steve Kille has left
  100. winfried has left
  101. mimi89999 has joined
  102. Steve Kille has left
  103. intosi has joined
  104. mimi89999 has joined
  105. vurpo has joined
  106. Alex has joined
  107. Kev has joined
  108. Flow has joined
  109. Kev has left
  110. vurpo has left
  111. vurpo has joined
  112. Lance has joined
  113. Kev has joined
  114. Holger has left
  115. Holger has joined
  116. Holger has left
  117. Holger has joined
  118. Holger has left
  119. Holger has joined
  120. Lance has left
  121. daniel has left
  122. daniel has joined
  123. xnyhps has left
  124. xnyhps has left
  125. suzyo has left
  126. Mancho has left
  127. Kev has left
  128. Ge0rG has joined
  129. daniel has left
  130. daniel has joined
  131. tim@boese-ban.de has left
  132. Ge0rG has joined
  133. Yagiza has left
  134. jubalh has left
  135. Valerian has left
  136. vurpo has left
  137. vurpo has joined
  138. tim@boese-ban.de has left
  139. vurpo has left
  140. vurpo has joined
  141. tim@boese-ban.de has joined
  142. lskdjf has joined
  143. winfried has left
  144. lskdjf has left
  145. Ge0rG has left
  146. Mancho has left
  147. Ge0rG has left
  148. Valerian has joined
  149. Guus has left
  150. Ge0rG has left
  151. Ge0rG has left
  152. daniel has left
  153. jere has joined
  154. Ge0rG has left
  155. Yagiza has joined
  156. daniel has left
  157. Yagiza has joined
  158. nyco has left
  159. Guus has left
  160. Ge0rG has left
  161. Mancho has left
  162. Mancho has joined
  163. lskdjf has joined
  164. Alex has left
  165. Alex has joined
  166. Piotr Nosek has left
  167. Piotr Nosek has joined
  168. Guus has left
  169. Valerian has left
  170. Lance has joined
  171. kalkin has left
  172. waqas has joined
  173. Lance has left
  174. ilmaisin has joined
  175. ilmaisin has left
  176. Zash has left
  177. Guus has left
  178. jere has left
  179. jere has joined
  180. kaboom has joined
  181. Flow has joined
  182. Valerian has joined
  183. Guus has left
  184. jonasw has left
  185. jonasw has left
  186. jonasw has left
  187. jonasw has left
  188. daniel has left
  189. moparisthebest has left
  190. iiro.laiho has joined
  191. Holger has left
  192. lskdjf has left
  193. ilmaisin has joined
  194. iiro.laiho has left
  195. Kev has joined
  196. jonasw has left
  197. Ge0rG has left
  198. jubalh has joined
  199. jubalh has left
  200. lskdjf has joined
  201. Zash has left
  202. Zash has joined
  203. Ge0rG has left
  204. tim@boese-ban.de has joined
  205. Ge0rG has left
  206. sonny has left
  207. mimi89999 has left
  208. mimi89999 has joined
  209. lskdjf has left
  210. Piotr Nosek has left
  211. lskdjf has joined
  212. vurpo has left
  213. vurpo has joined
  214. Valerian has left
  215. intosi has left
  216. lskdjf has left
  217. lskdjf has joined
  218. lskdjf has left
  219. lskdjf has joined
  220. Valerian has joined
  221. lskdjf has left
  222. lskdjf has joined
  223. winfried has left
  224. winfried has joined
  225. lskdjf has left
  226. intosi has joined
  227. suzyo has joined
  228. Tobias has left
  229. moparisthebest has joined
  230. moparisthebest has joined
  231. moparisthebest has joined
  232. mimi89999 has left
  233. sezuan has left
  234. jonasw has left
  235. SamWhited has joined
  236. SamWhited has left
  237. jere has left
  238. jere has joined
  239. intosi has left
  240. Valerian has left
  241. SamWhited has joined
  242. kaboom has left
  243. sonny has joined
  244. xnyhps has left
  245. SamWhited has left
  246. SamWhited has joined
  247. Kev has left
  248. Mancho has left
  249. daniel has left
  250. SamWhited has left
  251. SamWhited has joined
  252. daniel has joined
  253. sonny has joined
  254. moparisthebest has left
  255. Lance has joined
  256. moparisthebest has left
  257. moparisthebest has left
  258. xnyhps has left
  259. kalkin has left
  260. kalkin has left
  261. sonny has joined
  262. Lance has left
  263. Tobias has joined
  264. sonny has joined
  265. jubalh has joined
  266. nyco huh... is there a board meeting?
  267. Zash Never ending board meeting, yes
  268. nyco oh right
  269. nyco so is the gavel continuously banging? I don't hear it
  270. SamWhited (I keep meaning to ask RE the never ending board meeting jokes: is there a subject or something set that mcabber doesn't show? IDGI)
  271. Zash /topic
  272. mathieui SamWhited, the topic
  273. Zash > The room subject is now: Board Meeting | Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/ | Agenda https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings
  274. SamWhited Huh, I don't see that; maybe mcabber never updates the subject
  275. SamWhited I see
  276. SamWhited > XSF discussion room | Logs:…
  277. Zash Ha
  278. Guus has left
  279. SamWhited oh no, I had this discussion with someone; that's the title of the bookmark (set by Mcabber or Conversations or whatever I added it with) which I guess was the title at the time; mcabber shows whatever the bookmark contains
  280. SamWhited These jokes are lost on me :)
  281. Ge0rG The subject that is the topic, but not the description?
  282. vurpo has left
  283. Zash That's ... sorta sensible I guess
  284. vurpo has joined
  285. Ge0rG SamWhited: why should it set the subject as the name?
  286. SamWhited Showing the bookmark title seems sensible, not sure about setting the bookmark title to the subject (but I'm also not sure what I created this bookmark with in the first place, so no idea where that came from)
  287. Guus has left
  288. Ge0rG Easy XMPP clients will show the disco#info name. I'm sure they will.
  289. SamWhited Ge0rG: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think it's probably Conversations that does this, so ask there
  290. kaboom has joined
  291. Ge0rG Unfortunately, the name of this MUC is "xsf".
  292. SamWhited maybe we should have a name, a pretty name, a description, a subject, and a bookmark name. *pokerface*
  293. ralphm Hi all
  294. nyco hi
  295. Ge0rG SamWhited: so the first item would be the "ugly name"?
  296. SamWhited Ge0rG: yup, the never-changing single-word-no-spaces-no-special-chars name (no idea why, just 'cause). Maybe it's the local part of the JID.
  297. Ge0rG SamWhited: see you in the SgmLxqI+A0tOdwPfVXNdd1H4 chat room.
  298. arc holy crap.
  299. arc Google can't even federate their own chat apps.
  300. ralphm bangs gavel
  301. ralphm 1. Welcome
  302. Ge0rG the board meeting goes into its third week
  303. Guus has left
  304. ralphm Who's there, any agenda items?
  305. Martin *wave*
  306. dwd takes some minutes.
  307. arc Present
  308. Guus has joined
  309. ralphm I assume nyco, too.
  310. nyco yep
  311. ralphm Do we have MattJ?
  312. mimi89999 has joined
  313. nyco https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings
  314. ralphm As a note upfront, I've been swamped with work and haven't kept tabs on anything XMPP for the last two weeks.
  315. ralphm One item for me is IEEE
  316. xnyhps has left
  317. ralphm anything else?
  318. nyco Discourse, Board priorities
  319. ralphm OK
  320. ralphm 2. IEEE
  321. ralphm We
  322. arc What happened to a decision on software listed on the site?
  323. arc That's old business
  324. ralphm 've received a message from William Miller on IEEE IoT efforts and their desire to incorporate our IoT specs in more of their work.
  325. arc But they're not our specs. The XEPs they are referring to are expired and defunct
  326. ralphm Asking to move them to Active
  327. ralphm I don't want to go into the details in this meeting.
  328. vurpo has left
  329. ralphm I think we should ask Council to provide guidance on how to move forward, and possibly appoint a liason to the IEEE for this work.
  330. kaboom has left
  331. Lance has joined
  332. arc +1
  333. xnyhps has left
  334. xnyhps has left
  335. arc third party people implementing defunct XEPs and pushing them as standards to other standards groups is a situation we need council to get on top of
  336. SamWhited With my council hat on (though I can't speak for everyone else of course) I think this is a matter for the IoT SIG to decide; if they want to improve the current XEPs, they will be reopened, if not, they can create new ones (possibly while working with the IEEE group)
  337. vurpo has joined
  338. SamWhited But I do agree that if we *don't* want to improve the existing ones (and I think the consensus at the summit was that we don't), then we should definitely be careful to try and stop people from implementing them if there are known issues or we're not going to push them as official standards.
  339. ralphm I'm not sure if they really need these specs per se, but rather just XMPP-based ones.
  340. MattJ Hey, sorry, another meeting overran
  341. arc I'd like someone from board to reach out to Mr Miller re: XSF membership, they should have at least one person from their firm if they're implementing
  342. dwd With my Council hat on, the IoT SIG is subject to Council, so if Board asks the Council to Do Something, then I imagine Council will ask the IoT SIG and make a decision based on that input. But a Liaison as a first step seems sensible.
  343. SamWhited nods
  344. ralphm And even though there is an IoT SIG, this is exactly why I wanted a Council person to be heading the IoT SIG
  345. arc he appears to be in Washington DC given his phone number. I'd be happy to reach out to him, have coffee with him, etc
  346. ralphm Sure thing.
  347. Steve Kille has left
  348. ralphm SamWhited: can council at least work with Rikard and the IoT SIG to come up with a strategy?
  349. ralphm I don't think "we're throwing away the current specs" is a sensible approach to start interacting with IEEE
  350. SamWhited ralphm: That sounds sensible; I didn't mean to suggest that we shouldn't be involved. I'll add an agenda item for next week
  351. Steve Kille has joined
  352. SamWhited https://trello.com/c/5SHoH80M
  353. SamWhited Done; comments can go there if you want us to discuss anything in particular next week.
  354. ralphm Who wants to formulate a response to William to kick off interaction with the IEEE?
  355. ralphm I'd like that to not wait until next week
  356. dwd Is that not Arc's coffee meeting?
  357. ralphm Maybe yes
  358. arc im not going to meet with him about IEEE as much as to understand what his firm is doing and explain what XSF is, encourage membership, etc
  359. arc leaving council issues aside, the part of the email that stuck out is he's speak from outside the XSF. and we really want implementors in the XSF.
  360. dwd I'd have thought that's a reasonable first response.
  361. ralphm arc: sure, we can to the actual IEEE liasoning or whatever later.
  362. vurpo has left
  363. arc I think council does need to come up with a strategy for the iot stuff besides this
  364. dwd arc, Agreed.
  365. vurpo has joined
  366. ralphm Yes, so that's part of what SamWhited's agenda item
  367. ralphm Any other comments on this?
  368. MattJ None here, sounds like a plan
  369. ralphm 3. Discourse
  370. Martin Yep, sounds good to me
  371. ralphm nyco?
  372. narcode has joined
  373. nyco yes, the thread on the mailing list
  374. nyco also: Je pense
  375. SamWhited RE Discourse: If this is seriously being considered, I would like to have a(nother?) public comment period so that I can complain about what a terrible experience it is a lot. I won't waste time in the council meeting with it though.
  376. nyco oops
  377. nyco https://trello.com/c/qcPd55vA/260-use-discourse-on-discuss-xmpp-org
  378. SamWhited s/council/board/
  379. dwd nyco, Donc, je suis?
  380. nyco more or less ;-)
  381. ralphm I haven't read the discussion in great detail, but don't feel we have problem that needs resolving here
  382. ralphm on a technical level
  383. nyco we indeed have issues, that are worth admitting
  384. nyco Discourse is a great solution
  385. arc I'm not so hot on Discourse too, and agree with the sentiment that we should aim for an XMPP based solution
  386. MattJ I haven't used it, so can't really comment
  387. arc adding a new discussion media is a long term burden to the XSF that shouldn't be done lightly
  388. nyco we discussed quite extensively at the Summit around modernism we lack this, like very badly also, we should lower the barrier of entry
  389. ralphm I'm happy for people to play with this, but I'd hate to use this as a main thing for any of our current mailing lists before gaining significant experience.
  390. jubalh has joined
  391. nyco ralphm, mailing list is still there
  392. MattJ Maybe we could trial it for some discussion venues, but not others?
  393. nyco MattJ, IoT WG
  394. ralphm nyco: but not the mailman archives, right?
  395. nyco MattJ, also maybe if we wake the CommTeam back from the dead?
  396. dwd nyco, No, thanks. I'd rather it was used for jdev, or something else that's not a SIG.
  397. nyco ralphm, better archives, with real search that brings actual results, and tagging
  398. SamWhited Worth answering (but not necessarily right now): If we trial it for a WG, can we be sure that we can get to the archives later or move back to a mailing list if we decide not to use it long term?
  399. ralphm I a trial can be done without any changes in the current setup, as an add-on, I'm ok
  400. SamWhited (or anywhere really, but especially if it's an official function of the XSF like a WG)
  401. ralphm if
  402. Flow likes to point out that the IoT SIG would want to use discourse
  403. ralphm nyco: I'm sure everything is nicer, better, awesomer. I'd like to not have an disruption to the current setup.
  404. ralphm any
  405. nyco ralphm, agree
  406. ralphm Flow: I know, but I also don't want IoT to not be on an island. Especially not IoT.
  407. nyco mailman 2 is an island
  408. nyco we're all on it... :'(
  409. dwd How about setting up an entirely new discussion venue?
  410. Valerian has joined
  411. Valerian has left
  412. Valerian has joined
  413. ralphm dwd: hm?
  414. MattJ That's kinda what I meant
  415. nyco dwd, yeah on Slack!
  416. jubalh has left
  417. Valerian has left
  418. Valerian has joined
  419. dwd Create, say, a UX "list", but make it Discourse (or something) instead.
  420. ralphm Oh. In that case, something like SCAM would be appropriate
  421. MattJ Some measurement of success would be to ensure not just that the new system was used, but also that existing XSF members participated in it
  422. ralphm Right
  423. arc to quote the Zen of Python, "Now is better than never, Although never is often better than *right* now."
  424. nyco or not
  425. MattJ We don't want to throw out our existing community in an attempt to appear shiny to other groups of people
  426. nyco ity uccess, right?
  427. arc I want to reraise the issue that Discourse is not in any way XMPP based.
  428. MattJ I'd wager most of our existing community is just fine with the current setup (except searchable archives would be nice)
  429. arc this was a concern raised on the thread.
  430. Flow Look at Discourse as you would look at an upgrade from Mailman2 to Mailman3
  431. ralphm So the question becomes, who is doing it?
  432. MattJ arc, for that matter, mailman is in no way XMPP based :)
  433. Flow Nobody is throwing out the existing community by using Discourse
  434. nyco arc, so it mailman
  435. nyco is
  436. arc mailman is simply email. It doesn't use fancy realtime features more suitable to XMPP
  437. MattJ Flow, that sounds great - though I've heard conflicting opinions on whether that's true (I can't say myself as I haven't used it)
  438. ralphm We're in overtime.
  439. nyco we will attract non-members, which is good(tm)
  440. ralphm So, again, who's taking this on, and do what?
  441. Flow ralphm: I already volunteered
  442. SamWhited I've been using it for the past few weeks since this came up; I resubscribed to the rust-users list (which I unsubscribed from before a few weeks after they moved to Discourse) to see if things had changed. I turned on mailing list mode, and used it from my client. It was not a plesant experience.
  443. nyco let's just start to install it for IoT SIG
  444. MattJ SamWhited, concrete issues would be helpful to know (but not necessarily right here right now)
  445. arc I'm -1 on implementing this. I don't think a strong enough argument has been made for its need, and it could add a signifigant future burden to migration in the future
  446. nyco the current experience is less than pleasant
  447. nyco stuck in the past
  448. nyco we need that wave of modernism
  449. nyco well contemporarism
  450. SamWhited I think I outlined them on the list last time, but if this discussion starts up I'll go through and write out the individual pain points again.
  451. ralphm I'm -1 on implementing this for an existing group, and specifically for IoT
  452. nyco they want it
  453. ralphm They also wanted Skype for Business
  454. MattJ Let's (someone?) set up a new venue for starters, that's an actual first step
  455. nyco so you're saying what they want is irrelevant?
  456. arc nyco: I don't disagree with you that this would be good, the arguments against Discourse are on the merits of Discourse itself, not against innovative solutions
  457. Steve Kille has left
  458. ralphm nyco: no, I'm saying that we as an organisation are responsible for it working properly
  459. MattJ Then after it's up, we can discuss moving venues to it at a later date
  460. SamWhited Not irrelevant, but also not the top concern; they may want it, but the rest of the XSF has to read this stuff too, and having archives will be important later. There are just more considerations than "they want it and it's shiny"
  461. ralphm and I think IoT has other, bigger issues
  462. arc nyco: I am not joining the IoT SIG exactly because of their choices of non-XMPP mediums for discussion.
  463. Steve Kille has left
  464. Flow arc: We use Jitsi Meet since months
  465. MattJ I have no idea what work is currently being done in the IoT SIG, nor how to find out
  466. MattJ I didn't know it was still active
  467. arc exactly, MattJ
  468. nyco Discourse will make that visible... ;-)
  469. MattJ Mmmmhm
  470. Flow The visibility of Mailman2 mailing lists
  471. Zash Can you all pretend that I asked "Why?" to every statement in here?
  472. daniel has left
  473. Flow I'm sure you can easily follow what happened in iot@ by reading the mailman2 archive
  474. Flow , not.
  475. SamWhited Why would Discourse make that any easier to follow?
  476. ralphm nyco: it wouldn't make it more visible. The last message before today was January 8
  477. nyco ralphm, yes, it would, that's one of the points
  478. ralphm https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/iot/
  479. Flow SamWhited: No subpages per months, as starter.
  480. jubalh has joined
  481. ralphm I can follow my e-mail client archives just fine, and I agree with MattJ
  482. MattJ Didn't the IETF have a nicer browser for mailman archives, if this is the issue?
  483. SamWhited Oh, I see, you're assuming the web interface. Yah, that's pretty bad, however, Discourse's non-web interface is pretty bad, so we're just trading one bad interface for another.
  484. Flow MattJ: That's one of the issues
  485. MattJ i.e. I'm sure existing work has been done in this area
  486. nyco ralphm, so can you with Discourse
  487. ralphm nyco: my point is that I don't believe non-movement in IoT is going to be solved by new technology for discussion
  488. jubalh has left
  489. Steve Kille has joined
  490. nyco ralphm, true, but non-movement on our discussion means are killing
  491. Flow ralphm: As Guus what he thought about moving Openfire to github years ago. And read what he now writes in the ignite realtime blog
  492. Ge0rG Can't we just ask politely to add the list of affected xeps into the subject when posting to our lists?
  493. Zash There are prettier web frontends to mailing lists around, like Nabble, http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/
  494. Zash So it's doable
  495. SamWhited That's different; GitHub is a central community with network effect. A Discourse instance isn't.
  496. arc I think the correct way forward on this is to have a discussion session for future-comms where multiple solutions can be discussed. Not simply a "I think we should move to X solution".
  497. nyco Zash, still ugly and old style, frightening
  498. ralphm arc: form?
  499. nyco SamWhited, to achieve network effect thanks to its value, then do lower the barrier of entry
  500. SamWhited nyco: However, for many it reduces value
  501. arc mailing list or a MUC chat
  502. Flow No, correct way to move forward is to do something. But within the XSF you will always find someone who is opposing that is why nothing happens ever.
  503. nyco SamWhited, I'm saying network value, Metcalfe's Law
  504. nyco Flow, agree, non-action hurts so badly
  505. Flow It was similar with the new xmpp.org homepage
  506. nyco don't give me the problem of resources
  507. Flow Simon also got yelled at for trying to move forward
  508. nyco the non-members, the external communities than we need so badly, will welcome that move
  509. ralphm Flow: ok, if you can set up Discourse in such a way that we *also* keep having archives in Mailman as we have now, you have my blessing.
  510. ralphm Is that possible?
  511. arc I'm ok with that, too.
  512. nyco why not disrupt?
  513. nyco are you doing nothing, to keep the comfort of a few?
  514. Flow ralphm: My idea was roughly to start with a test setup, and then switch one ML after another ot discourse and then eventually make mailman2 read-only.
  515. dwd nyco, You know that disruption isn't a means to an end?
  516. nyco dwd, ;-)
  517. ralphm Flow: ok, but can you run in hybrid mode?
  518. arc Flow: enough concerns have been raised to that, its not going to happen
  519. Flow We can always try to find someone to migrate the old posts to discourse if we want
  520. Flow arc: Concerns like?
  521. nyco arc, enough concerns have been raised to stay that way
  522. arc this isn't one person objecting. several people have concerns over the proposal
  523. Flow ralphm: hybrid mode?
  524. nyco arc, several people are all for it
  525. nyco if we want actual numbers, we can call for a survey
  526. arc something as fundamental as our communication medium affects everyone. for that, there should be rough consensus to change.
  527. SamWhited This isn't about numbers or a vote, it's about the people who are for it assuming that the burden of proof to show that this is a good idea is on everyone else and not addressing the valid concerns brought up by others on the list.
  528. Flow yeah, a members vote would be great thing to get a feeling what the XSF members think
  529. SamWhited (although I'm not against gathering numbers or data, of course, why not? Sounds nice.)
  530. nyco arc, the state of our current infra is affecting everyone, including the ones who don't join, because...
  531. Flow SamWhited: I think I've addressed most, if not all, concerns raised on the ML thread
  532. dwd Flow, I think running up a discourse instance with a real - but not critical - workload would be a sensible step.
  533. dwd Flow, We could also then try other options (Movim, maybe?).
  534. ralphm Flow: what I said before: if you can run it such that messages go to both Discourse and Mailman's archive, then please go ahead
  535. ralphm Same with other platforms
  536. nyco dwd, why Movim?
  537. dwd nyco, Why not?
  538. ralphm I want to stop this discussion as part of this meeting now.
  539. nyco dwd, because mailing list?
  540. nyco ok
  541. arc Flow: If I'm not mistaken, what you want is a more modern communications medium. Your chosen solution to that is Discourse. But other solutions could meet your needs. That is why we should discuss this in a new-comms meeting
  542. sezuan has left
  543. nyco arc, I have not seen any equivalent, please enlighten us
  544. ralphm please stop
  545. arc ralphm is right, we're way over time.
  546. Flow ralphm: Well I suppose you could do that with the help of your MTA. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea. What would be the advantage?
  547. nyco so, we end the meeting? or address the last agenda item?
  548. ralphm Flow: I want to either have a setup that doesn't involve current workgroups so we can test, evaluate, *or* something that doesn't affect the current infra
  549. ralphm (so that Discourse would just be an alternative interface)
  550. nyco I propose we put an end to that meeting
  551. MattJ Seconded
  552. ralphm nyco: I'm still at the office with a 2 hour commute ahead. I'm going to end this meeting
  553. nyco the neverending meeting may have a one-week pause
  554. ralphm I'm happy for people to keep discussing this afterwards
  555. nyco ok then thanks all! it was a great discussion!
  556. ralphm 4. Date of next
  557. ralphm +1W
  558. nyco +1
  559. ralphm 5. Close
  560. ralphm bangs gavel
  561. ralphm Thanks all!
  562. MattJ Thanks
  563. nyco thx, see yah
  564. arc Thanks ralph
  565. Martin Thanks ralphm,
  566. SamWhited Flow: Yah, sorry, went back and looked, I never did send my concerns about it, so obviously you didn't reply to them :) will do that next time this comes up on the mailing list or whenever arc's comms meeting happens.
  567. ralphm set the topic to XSF Discussion | Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/ | Agenda https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings
  568. Martin has left
  569. Flow It's interesting how our experience divergates. Discourse has major traction within the open-source forum software. I find it very enjoyable on mobile and on my workstation, and I really like that I can use it just like mailman
  570. ralphm Flow: please don't feel discouraged. I am really curious about new things, but worried about inertia and continuity.
  571. Zash MattJ: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/
  572. MattJ Zash, I know. Source doesn't appear to be available?
  573. MattJ Can't find it
  574. SamWhited I'm pretty sure the disagreement is going to be starkly divided down the line of how it's used: If you use the web/mobile apps, it's very nice. If you use it as a mailing list, it's terrible.
  575. Lance has left
  576. Flow Well I already decreased my investment in XSF stuff, because it is nearly impossible to change something. Discourse on the other hand is something that I really think the XSF needs most right now. So it's the only thing I currently pursue
  577. Flow SamWhited: Did they run a version which included https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/74b6fe8739d86dc2284707e8507ac732420a1b8c ?
  578. SamWhited I still don't understand what benefit it gives us that a search box and a slightly nicer interface wouldn't
  579. Zash MattJ: https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/ maaybe?
  580. Flow It's not only the search box
  581. Flow Just hat you can tag threads with the xep numbers is a huge win IMHO
  582. SamWhited Flow: That was one of the changes between last time and this time when I tried it, they did, and it was *much* better. But still a pretty terrible experience.
  583. Flow Looking forward to your elaboration what made it so terrible on members@ thread
  584. SamWhited (or at least, I assume that was one of the changes; that would explain a lot of the improvements around replying)
  585. MattJ Zash, well done
  586. Steve Kille has left
  587. jonasw has left
  588. Flow Our Mailing List, especially standards@, is a huge pile of valuable information, yet it's not really accessible
  589. SamWhited It sends a bunch of garbage HTML, doesn't use conventions in the plain text version (and leaks some form of [bbcode] or something into the plain text), it sends different "topics" from different email addresses so it's hard to write filters (though admittedly, this sounds like it could be how the rust-users and rust-internal instances were configured), off the top of my head. There were others; replies were broken somehow still, but I don't recall now, I'd have to go look.
  590. MattJ Flow, Discourse won't fix that unless it can import the archives (can it?)
  591. Flow Sure you can. You just probably need to write the code doing so
  592. Flow But I think 1. that there are many mailman2 instances upgrading to discourse, so it's only a matter of time until someone does write that code
  593. SamWhited What's wrong with this IETF thing? It looks nice and would fix the accessibility problem (assuming we can get the source from them, which I'm sure we could)
  594. arc Flow: again, I think decoupling the specific solution you've chosen to champion from the needs to be addresed is a good first step
  595. Flow and 2. we can always do the import later
  596. SamWhited What arc said
  597. Flow yeah, i'm already sold on discourse for various reasons
  598. Flow so I don't need to decouple that
  599. SamWhited You do if you want to convince anyone else
  600. Flow true, but not everyone
  601. Flow IMHO Discourse is without alternatives and the best horse to bet on
  602. arc that's not a great position to bring to a discussion like this.
  603. Flow why not? I try to back my claims with arguments. And I'm happy if you convince me of an different alternative
  604. Zash Flow: Take this: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6778 s/IETF/XSF/ and call it a day ;)
  605. arc I haven't made a decision yet. What you're feeling as push-back is against the "right now" aspect to your drive. XSF has used MUC and email forever. The board, council, and most WGs use these.
  606. arc The first part of the push-back is the expediency, people have said that the case hasn't been made to why these things have to change right now.
  607. ralphm has left
  608. MattJ Well to be fair, if not "right now" then it'll be never, based on experience :)
  609. arc "Now is better than never, although never is often better than *right* now"
  610. SamWhited has left
  611. blipp has left
  612. winfried has joined
  613. arc that comes from the python-dev list. very (very) often people comes through saying that X or Y or Z is mission critical, that Python is driving away potential new users because it doesn't have a feature, or a change to the C-API is absolutely necessary or they couldn't use Python, etc
  614. arc in almost every case decisions made "right now" are regretted.
  615. SamWhited Maybe someone (don't really care who, but it probably shouldn't be someone who's completely against Discourse like me, or completely for it like Flow) should evaluate several options and report back instead of us just making it an argument about "discourse or nothing". Other options have been thrown out, but the gist of the argument has mostly been about moving to discourse, not about improving in general.
  616. arc MattJ is right, we need to act on it or it'll be forgotten. So Flow and nyco have ruffled feathers, people are activated, lets sit down like engineers and sort out what we want to do
  617. arc I have questions as to MIX - in 2 years when we're all using MIX instead of MUC, will it be possible to merge our chat conversations with mailing list conversations in a meaningful way
  618. Guus has left
  619. Guus has joined
  620. nyco The timeline may be of a lesser importance here
  621. Zash Merging slow, long form communications with quick, short form comms is probably not very easy in non-technical ways.
  622. arc im thinking more in terms of archives
  623. Zash Ha
  624. Zash https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/ProjectSetup#CheckingouttheSourceCode
  625. intosi has joined
  626. blipp has joined
  627. arc Zash: what is this?
  628. MattJ Modern
  629. Zash arc: I don't know. Unless I've gotten lost, it may be the source code to https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/
  630. MattJ I think this is just the archive stuff: https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/mailarch/trunk
  631. SamWhited (if we can find the source, we should try it; this is very nice)
  632. arc its an archive front-end to mailman?
  633. SamWhited Although if you want to post from a web interface, which might be one of the discours peoples desires, it's hard to tell, it won't help
  634. MattJ RabbitMQ dependency... doh
  635. arc lol
  636. arc what is it using rabbitmq for?
  637. MattJ They seem to have some independent processes, maybe for syncing with the mailman archive and indexing
  638. winfried has joined
  639. arc holy crap. its march 1st. I can code again.
  640. winfried has joined
  641. MattJ Go slow, maybe stick with just Lua for a while :)
  642. arc i have a month of ideas for libexi
  643. arc you should see the pages of rubics cube algorithms ive written out
  644. Lance has left
  645. Lance has joined
  646. arc but the month off was good i think. my vocabulary has returned, i should see the doctor again before i start again though
  647. arc get a new baseline to see what the month break resulted in
  648. Flow has left
  649. arc i'll just read today.
  650. Zash dwd, ny?
  651. intosi has left
  652. Valerian has left
  653. pep. has left
  654. pep. has left
  655. moparisthebest has joined
  656. Lance has left
  657. Tobias has left
  658. Tobias has joined
  659. Lance has joined
  660. tim@boese-ban.de has joined
  661. xnyhps has left
  662. xnyhps has left
  663. xnyhps has joined
  664. xnyhps has left
  665. xnyhps has joined
  666. xnyhps has left
  667. xnyhps has left
  668. blipp has left
  669. blipp has joined
  670. Valerian has joined
  671. Lance has left
  672. Lance has joined
  673. Lance has left
  674. Tobias has joined
  675. jere has joined
  676. winfried has joined
  677. dwd Oh! That's where that went.
  678. dwd So I *entirely* lost that while typing, and had no idea it was actually sent.
  679. Zash heh
  680. SamWhited has left
  681. SamWhited has left
  682. SamWhited has joined
  683. jere has joined
  684. jere has joined
  685. Lance has left
  686. Lance has joined
  687. SamWhited has left
  688. Alex has left
  689. Alex has joined
  690. daniel has left
  691. daniel has joined
  692. ralphm has left
  693. waqas has left
  694. Valerian has left
  695. Valerian has joined
  696. Valerian has left
  697. suzyo has left
  698. Mancho has left
  699. waqas has joined
  700. vurpo has left
  701. vurpo has joined
  702. vurpo has left
  703. vurpo has joined
  704. vurpo has left
  705. vurpo has joined
  706. nyco has joined
  707. nicolas.verite has joined
  708. nicolas.verite has left
  709. jubalh has joined
  710. Tobias has joined
  711. Kev has joined
  712. kaboom has joined
  713. winfried has joined
  714. Flow has joined
  715. nicolas.verite has joined
  716. waqas has left
  717. Ge0rG has left
  718. waqas has joined
  719. moparisthebest has left
  720. jubalh has left
  721. moparisthebest has joined
  722. waqas has left
  723. waqas has joined
  724. Guus has left
  725. Guus has joined
  726. Kev has left
  727. Alex has left
  728. winfried has left
  729. kaboom has left
  730. goffi has left
  731. Mancho has left
  732. jere has left
  733. Tobias has left
  734. Tobias has joined
  735. winfried has joined
  736. Mancho has left
  737. Valerian has joined
  738. Guus has left
  739. Guus has joined
  740. Guus has left
  741. kaboom has joined
  742. Guus has joined
  743. kaboom has left
  744. kaboom has joined
  745. kaboom has left
  746. kaboom has joined
  747. kaboom has left
  748. kaboom has joined
  749. kaboom has left
  750. Flow has left
  751. kaboom has joined
  752. kaboom has left
  753. kaboom has joined
  754. efrit has joined
  755. kaboom has left
  756. kaboom has joined
  757. Valerian has left
  758. kaboom has left
  759. lskdjf has joined
  760. kaboom has joined
  761. Kev has joined
  762. SamWhited Zash: I think this is the mailing list stuff the IETF uses that we were looking for earlier: https://code.google.com/archive/p/ml-archive/
  763. SamWhited It has some similarly named resources anyways…
  764. Zash > 404. That's an error. > The project ml-archive was not found.
  765. Zash SamWhited: I found some svn repo with some Python stuff in it.
  766. SamWhited I just clicked through to the sources and now it says there isn't any… something weird is happening.
  767. Zash Yay Google
  768. Zash /lastlog recent links I've pasted here
  769. SamWhited Zash: Oh, I thought the one you posted Mat or somebody said was just a database or something
  770. SamWhited but yah, looks like it… nevermind, already found.
  771. Zash SamWhited: I don't know for sure what I found, I've stayed too far from python web dev to know how to get whatever it was running.
  772. SamWhited That's a smart plan.
  773. kaboom has left
  774. nyco has left
  775. nicolas.verite has left
  776. kaboom has joined
  777. Ge0rG has left
  778. Zash Worked with a homebrewed Python + MongoDB web framework at my last job.
  779. lskdjf has left
  780. moparisthebest has joined
  781. nicolas.verite has joined
  782. Lance has left
  783. Zash Email, sigh.
  784. Zash The thing in XMPP where the same connection is used for incoming and outgoing traffic is pretty nice.
  785. waqas has left
  786. Tobias has left
  787. sezuan has left
  788. mimi89999 has left
  789. mimi89999 has left
  790. jere has joined
  791. moparisthebest has joined
  792. moparisthebest has joined
  793. sezuan has left
  794. nicolas.verite has left
  795. kalkin has left
  796. nicolas.verite has joined
  797. jere has left
  798. moparisthebest has left
  799. moparisthebest has joined
  800. suzyo has joined
  801. suzyo has left
  802. Ge0rG Zash: like in s2s?
  803. nicolas.verite has left
  804. Zash Ge0rG: {xep 288}
  805. Bunneh Ge0rG: XEP-0288: Bidirectional Server-to-Server Connections (Standards Track, Draft, 2016-10-17) See: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0288.html
  806. Zash Ge0rG: I mean the feature where I don't have to type my password 3 times to send an email.
  807. Zash Or have 3 different passwords.
  808. Ge0rG I haven't entered my password for email in the last three years. It's stored in a plaintext config file
  809. Zash I haven't figured out how to save my password in mutt yet.
  810. Zash So I get the pleasure of typing a password for IMAP, a password for GPG and a password for submission.
  811. Guus has left