XSF Discussion - 2019-01-07


  1. vaulor has left
  2. mightyBroccoli has joined
  3. vaulor has joined
  4. mightyBroccoli has joined
  5. igoose has left
  6. Guus has left
  7. Guus has joined
  8. l has left
  9. l has left
  10. Guus has left
  11. lskdjf has joined
  12. oli has joined
  13. Maranda has left
  14. Guus has joined
  15. UsL has left
  16. UsL has joined
  17. lskdjf has joined
  18. thorsten has joined
  19. lskdjf has joined
  20. lskdjf has left
  21. lskdjf has left
  22. oli has joined
  23. lskdjf has left
  24. lskdjf has left
  25. lskdjf has left
  26. lskdjf has joined
  27. Tobias has joined
  28. Tobias has joined
  29. Syndace has left
  30. thorsten has left
  31. thorsten has joined
  32. Syndace has joined
  33. lskdjf has left
  34. lskdjf has joined
  35. Lance has joined
  36. Lance has left
  37. Guus has left
  38. Guus has joined
  39. Half-ShotX has left
  40. Guus has left
  41. krauq has left
  42. Guus has joined
  43. lumi has left
  44. alacer has joined
  45. lskdjf has joined
  46. l has joined
  47. alacer has left
  48. alacer has joined
  49. Half-ShotX has left
  50. waqas has left
  51. Guus has left
  52. Guus has joined
  53. efrit has joined
  54. Guus has left
  55. alacer has left
  56. alacer has joined
  57. Half-ShotX has left
  58. Half-ShotX has left
  59. Guus has joined
  60. Half-ShotX has left
  61. ta has left
  62. Guus has left
  63. Guus has joined
  64. Guus has left
  65. Half-ShotX has left
  66. ta has left
  67. Half-ShotX has left
  68. Half-ShotX has left
  69. Half-ShotX has left
  70. alacer has left
  71. alacer has joined
  72. daniel has joined
  73. Half-ShotX has left
  74. alacer has left
  75. alacer has joined
  76. Guus has joined
  77. moparisthebest has left
  78. moparisthebest has joined
  79. Half-ShotX has left
  80. Guus has left
  81. Guus has joined
  82. Guus has left
  83. Half-ShotX has left
  84. Half-ShotX has left
  85. Half-ShotX has left
  86. efrit has left
  87. Half-ShotX has left
  88. waqas has joined
  89. Half-ShotX has left
  90. alacer has left
  91. Half-ShotX has left
  92. Erkan Files has joined
  93. j.r has joined
  94. j.r has left
  95. mimi89999 has left
  96. mimi89999 has joined
  97. Half-ShotX has left
  98. alacer has joined
  99. j.r has joined
  100. Half-ShotX has left
  101. lorddavidiii has joined
  102. steven has left
  103. krauq has joined
  104. mtavares has joined
  105. Half-ShotX has left
  106. goffi has joined
  107. goffi has left
  108. goffi has joined
  109. labdsf has left
  110. Zash has left
  111. j.r has joined
  112. Zash has joined
  113. labdsf has joined
  114. mtavares has left
  115. mtavares has joined
  116. labdsf has left
  117. labdsf has joined
  118. Guus has joined
  119. Guus has left
  120. j.r has joined
  121. MattJ has left
  122. Half-ShotX has left
  123. Yagiza has joined
  124. andy has joined
  125. ta has left
  126. ta has joined
  127. lumi has joined
  128. andy has left
  129. andy has joined
  130. labdsf has left
  131. labdsf has joined
  132. j.r has joined
  133. andy has left
  134. andy has joined
  135. Half-ShotX has left
  136. !xsf_Martin has joined
  137. Half-ShotX has left
  138. mrDoctorWho has joined
  139. !xsf_Martin has left
  140. thorsten has joined
  141. Guus has joined
  142. Maranda has joined
  143. Erkan Files has joined
  144. Guus has left
  145. Guus has joined
  146. Erkan Files has joined
  147. Maranda has left
  148. Maranda has joined
  149. Erkan Files has left
  150. Erkan Files has joined
  151. Guus has left
  152. thorsten has left
  153. lumi has left
  154. mtavares has left
  155. Seve has left
  156. thorsten has joined
  157. Half-ShotX has left
  158. Steve Kille has left
  159. mtavares has joined
  160. lnj has joined
  161. krauq has joined
  162. oli has joined
  163. alacer has left
  164. alacer has joined
  165. Half-ShotX has left
  166. alacer has left
  167. vaulor has joined
  168. vaulor has joined
  169. labdsf has left
  170. labdsf has joined
  171. mtavares has joined
  172. Steve Kille has joined
  173. Guus has joined
  174. mtavares has joined
  175. Andrew Nenakhov has left
  176. Andrew Nenakhov has joined
  177. Guus has left
  178. Guus has joined
  179. oli has left
  180. oli has joined
  181. Half-ShotX has left
  182. lumi has joined
  183. Half-ShotX has left
  184. lnj has left
  185. Nekit has joined
  186. Guus has left
  187. lovetox has joined
  188. Half-ShotX has left
  189. Half-ShotX has left
  190. goffi has joined
  191. Half-ShotX has left
  192. Half-ShotX has joined
  193. Maranda has left
  194. Half-ShotX has left
  195. genofire has left
  196. Half-ShotX has joined
  197. l has joined
  198. Half-ShotX has left
  199. labdsf has left
  200. mtavares has joined
  201. mtavares has joined
  202. Guus has joined
  203. labdsf has joined
  204. moparisthebest has joined
  205. moparisthebest has joined
  206. Half-ShotX has joined
  207. krauq has joined
  208. goffi has joined
  209. Half-ShotX has left
  210. igoose has joined
  211. ThibG has left
  212. ThibG has joined
  213. Half-ShotX has joined
  214. lorddavidiii has left
  215. Guus has joined
  216. Guus has joined
  217. nyco has joined
  218. lorddavidiii has joined
  219. goffi Hi. I don't get Evgeny answer, can anybody explain me how clustered database are affected by the fact that we use or not an attribute to specify level of ordering?
  220. thorsten has left
  221. thorsten has joined
  222. Half-ShotX has left
  223. igoose has left
  224. lskdjf has joined
  225. waqas goffi: Most distributed and replicated databases tend to be eventually consistent, such that one db node may have a different modification timestamp for an item than another node in the cluster.
  226. Half-ShotX has joined
  227. moparisthebest has joined
  228. moparisthebest has joined
  229. waqas (mysql and postgres for example have async replication, they are ACID for a node, but not for the cluster; many nosql dbs are similar)
  230. Alex has joined
  231. goffi waqas: so he's not actually answering to the question (which is about adding an attribute to handle the order vs using order of <order/> elements), but talking about the feature in general, and only arguing about the modification time right?
  232. lnj has joined
  233. goffi And this sounds like implementation details, nothing prevent to add a field to the database which is set when the item is received, before any replication.
  234. Half-ShotX has left
  235. Half-ShotX has joined
  236. goffi "order by" is used in SQL which can be used with clusters, so I don't see how this is different here.
  237. Alex has left
  238. waqas goffi: Consistent order for a mutable ordering value like last-modified time (vs an "immutable one", like creation-time) really works in SQL dbs with a single node, or which have cluster-wide write locks.
  239. nyco has left
  240. waqas In mysql for example, a write to one db replica does may take some time before it's written to the rest of the cluster.
  241. waqas So different nodes in the cluster may have a different understanding of last-modified time at any given point in time
  242. waqas Pagination is tough as well. You request page 1. Then you request page 2, except page 1 results may already be invalid by the time you ask for page 2.
  243. waqas Since last modified order is changing all the time
  244. lnj has left
  245. waqas I don't want to speak for Evgeny, I'm just assuming the above is what he means.
  246. mtavares has joined
  247. Zash Database synchronization is hard.
  248. goffi waqas: pagination issue is already mentioned in RSM. I'm not against adding a flag in the result saying it may be inconsistent.
  249. jonas’ goffi, no pagination is not covered with RSM as soon as you order by a mutable field
  250. jonas’ well, it is covered
  251. jonas’ but it’s not safe anymore
  252. goffi "The set of items that match a query MAY change over time, even during the time that a requesting entity pages through the result set (e.g., a set of chatrooms, since rooms can be created and destroyed at any time). The paging protocol outlined in this section is designed so that entities MAY provide the following features" (§2.2)
  253. Half-ShotX has left
  254. Half-ShotX has joined
  255. Alex has joined
  256. MattJ I'm confused by your one email which says " the order affect the whole archive, not just a result set" and in a following email "it's true that the order inside the page is not influenced."
  257. goffi waqas: thanks about the explanation. I think this should be mentioned in the XEP, and maybe a flag could be added.
  258. goffi MattJ: the first message was because yesterday it didn't seemed clear that the ordering was on the full history (i.e. we are not ordering the says 10 items we ask for, but we are ordering the whole archive and getting the 10 first items from that)
  259. MattJ Right
  260. Half-ShotX has left
  261. lovetox has left
  262. goffi Matthew: the second is because there is currently no mechanism to say, inside the page result we get, that we want the first item to be the most recent or the least recent. Currently the XEP state (not explictly enough apparently, I'll fix that), that the first item of the page is always the most recent, regarless if we are getting the result normally, or backward using RSM.
  263. mtavares has left
  264. mtavares has joined
  265. MattJ I'm personally leaning towards just having another field in the existing MAM query form, to keep things simple
  266. MattJ and then we can fix pubsub separately
  267. goffi waqas: by the way, the last modification time is currently the default ordering using XEP-0060 without anything else. There is actually no "modification" notion, it's just a new item, but that the result it the same.
  268. MattJ I think the problems are slightly different, because you can't update a MAM entry (and never will be able to)
  269. goffi MattJ: you mean extending XEP-0313 directly or havint a new XEP which extend MAM ?
  270. MattJ I was planning to extend XEP-0313
  271. Zash MattJ: Message corrections...
  272. MattJ and the problem with MAM isn't which property to sort on, it's simply which direction to sort in
  273. Half-ShotX has joined
  274. MattJ The problem with pubsub is not the direction, but the property
  275. Kev > I think the problems are slightly different, because you can't update a MAM entry (and never will be able to) Not 100% true, because of redaction, but close enough.
  276. MattJ and another reason not to solve both with the same protocol, is that the server implementation for both of these is quite different
  277. goffi MattJ: what about MAM with Pubsub (which is the case I'm most interested in) ? The item can be overwritten there.
  278. MattJ Yet the order-by XEP only allows discovery of support for <order>, not within a specific protocol
  279. Ge0rG cant we just implement SQL replication over XMPP and be done?
  280. goffi I can fix that and only use is with MAM for Pubsub, it doesn't really make sense in the other case anyway.
  281. MattJ I don't know - I have nothing to do with MAM-with-pubsub, never have, and I'm still unconvinced whether I ever will
  282. goffi I think filtering should have been a pubsub thing instead of a MAM thing, but today it's the only tool we have to filter items in Pubsub.
  283. goffi and it's a really important feature for most of use cases I have with Pubsub.
  284. oli has joined
  285. goffi the MAM example in the order-by protoXEP is about Pubsub
  286. labdsf has left
  287. labdsf has joined
  288. MattJ if we add order reversal to MAM, interaction with order-by would get confusing if that also let you select asc/desc
  289. MattJ Otherwise, they could probably live together
  290. MattJ But I don't know if I can imagine implementing it personally
  291. MattJ Hmm
  292. MattJ Maybe I can, in the context of pubsub, but basically it would be a separate implementation
  293. Half-ShotX has left
  294. Half-ShotX has joined
  295. Half-ShotX has left
  296. Zash PubSub in Prosody is squeezed through an abstract LRU cache, so that level would have to be thrown out and rebuilt
  297. MattJ goffi, does a config item on the pubsub node definitely not fulfil your requirements?
  298. MattJ (a config item that says "sort by update" or "sort by creation")
  299. Zash "keep order on ower-write"
  300. MattJ or do you need this control at the time of query?
  301. Zash There's no update in PubSub, only implicit deletion
  302. waqas I think the basic use-case being supported is just showing microblog posts by time they were first posted vs time when they were last modified. Last modified is current state, right?
  303. goffi MattJ: for some use cases I need to do it at query time. For instance for a forum, I want to be able to have last modified message popup on top, or have it by creation date.
  304. goffi Zash: no there is no update in Pubsub, that's why the "date of modification" is explained in the XEP, the business logic is changed.
  305. goffi waqas: last modified is current state yes.
  306. frainz has joined
  307. ta has left
  308. ta has joined
  309. ralphm The idea is to _add_ business logic so that overwriting implies updating, right?
  310. goffi ralphm: yes
  311. goffi But also to have a way, later, to order by a field for instance (e.g. prioriy of a ticket, or evaluation of an answer to a question).
  312. Half-ShotX has joined
  313. Alex has left
  314. Alex has joined
  315. efrit has joined
  316. alacer has joined
  317. Half-ShotX has left
  318. nyco has joined
  319. Half-ShotX has joined
  320. lskdjf has joined
  321. tux has left
  322. ThibG has joined
  323. ThibG has joined
  324. andy has left
  325. igoose has joined
  326. alacer has left
  327. mimi89999 has joined
  328. lovetox has joined
  329. mimi89999 has joined
  330. daniel has joined
  331. Half-ShotX has left
  332. Half-ShotX has joined
  333. alacer has joined
  334. Half-ShotX has left
  335. vanitasvitae has left
  336. vanitasvitae has left
  337. Half-ShotX has joined
  338. Maranda has joined
  339. alacer has left
  340. moparisthebest has joined
  341. moparisthebest has joined
  342. oli has joined
  343. mtavares has left
  344. mtavares has joined
  345. andy has joined
  346. alacer has joined
  347. j.r has joined
  348. mrDoctorWho has left
  349. lnj has joined
  350. moparisthebest has left
  351. oli has joined
  352. Ge0rG has left
  353. oli has left
  354. oli has joined
  355. alacer has left
  356. alacer has joined
  357. matlag has joined
  358. efrit has left
  359. moparisthebest has left
  360. alacer has left
  361. alacer has joined
  362. pep. has joined
  363. alacer has left
  364. alacer has joined
  365. lskdjf has left
  366. lskdjf has joined
  367. Half-ShotX has left
  368. lorddavidiii has left
  369. Half-ShotX has joined
  370. Half-ShotX has left
  371. lorddavidiii has joined
  372. waqas has left
  373. waqas has joined
  374. mrDoctorWho has joined
  375. Yagiza has left
  376. alacer has left
  377. alacer has joined
  378. lnj has left
  379. Half-ShotX has joined
  380. Half-ShotX has left
  381. Half-ShotX has joined
  382. Half-ShotX has left
  383. alacer has left
  384. labdsf has left
  385. Andrew Nenakhov has left
  386. Half-ShotX has joined
  387. mtavares has joined
  388. Maranda has left
  389. waqas has left
  390. Half-ShotX has left
  391. mtavares has joined
  392. Alex has left
  393. Alex has joined
  394. labdsf has joined
  395. Half-ShotX has joined
  396. Alex has left
  397. Alex has joined
  398. jjrh has left
  399. Andrew Nenakhov has joined
  400. lskdjf has joined
  401. Maranda has left
  402. nyco has left
  403. Half-ShotX has left
  404. Half-ShotX has joined
  405. andy has left
  406. mtavares has joined
  407. daniel has left
  408. lskdjf has joined
  409. lskdjf has joined
  410. lnj has joined
  411. mtavares has joined
  412. daniel has joined
  413. Half-ShotX has left
  414. j.r has joined
  415. ta has left
  416. ta has left
  417. Half-ShotX has joined
  418. lnj has left
  419. nyco has left
  420. jjrh has left
  421. mtavares has joined
  422. mtavares has joined
  423. UsL has left
  424. Half-ShotX has left
  425. Half-ShotX has joined
  426. Half-ShotX has left
  427. UsL has joined
  428. jjrh has left
  429. Half-ShotX has joined
  430. Alex has left
  431. Half-ShotX has left
  432. Half-ShotX has joined
  433. nyco has left
  434. waqas has joined
  435. Yagiza has joined
  436. Half-ShotX has left
  437. Half-ShotX has joined
  438. waqas has left
  439. mtavares has left
  440. lovetox has left
  441. Half-ShotX has left
  442. Half-ShotX has joined
  443. mtavares has joined
  444. jjrh has left
  445. jjrh has left
  446. Half-ShotX has left
  447. jjrh has left
  448. ta has left
  449. jjrh has left
  450. l has left
  451. Half-ShotX has joined
  452. jjrh has left
  453. Half-ShotX has left
  454. alacer has joined
  455. Half-ShotX has joined
  456. Half-ShotX has left
  457. lorddavidiii has joined
  458. mtavares has joined
  459. Half-ShotX has joined
  460. marc_ has joined
  461. mtavares has joined
  462. Half-ShotX has left
  463. neshtaxmpp has joined
  464. Half-ShotX has joined
  465. labdsf has left
  466. labdsf has joined
  467. labdsf has left
  468. labdsf has joined
  469. Half-ShotX has left
  470. Half-ShotX has joined
  471. Half-ShotX has left
  472. lnj has joined
  473. UsL has left
  474. UsL has joined
  475. lovetox has joined
  476. labdsf has left
  477. labdsf has joined
  478. labdsf has left
  479. labdsf has joined
  480. Half-ShotX has joined
  481. labdsf has left
  482. labdsf has joined
  483. mtavares has joined
  484. ralphm has left
  485. dwd Hi folks.
  486. Ge0rG Hey dwd, back from holidays?
  487. Half-ShotX has left
  488. dwd Yeah, holidays plus family emergency, unfortunately.
  489. Ge0rG dwd: sorry to hear that. Hope things are normalizing again
  490. mtavares has joined
  491. dwd So I have an interesting problem with the XMPP Summit, and I wondered if anyone else had the same issue.
  492. dwd My new boss said he looked at the details for the XMPP Summit, and concluded it wasn't happening because there was nothing on the website and wiki page.
  493. Half-ShotX has joined
  494. jonas’ the wiki page doesn’t look exactly empty tom e?
  495. Guus dwd - I am happy to facilitate later tonight
  496. Guus I'm about on my way back home, which will take some time.
  497. Guus In the mean time, if someone feels like drafting a blog post... 🙂
  498. jonas’ we do have a blog post, don’t we?
  499. dwd jonas’, The Agenda is empty, for instance.
  500. jonas’ https://xmpp.org/2018/11/xmpp-summit-23/
  501. dwd jonas’, And the blog post *is* there, but several articles down and not easily visible from the website.
  502. jonas’ (that’s true, which is why I didn’t link it in the first place)
  503. Guus so, some kind of banner on the home page?
  504. jonas’ the summit is members-only, isn’t it?
  505. Ge0rG maybe linking the blog post from the wiki would be a start?
  506. Zash pin it
  507. dwd jonas’, Not as far as I know.
  508. Guus ok, I need to go now
  509. dwd Guus, I'll catch you later...
  510. jonas’ dwd, if what you say is true, a banner on the website would make sense, indeed
  511. Guus but I would welcome more exposure
  512. Guus has left
  513. jonas’ I can probably draft some HTML for a b anner on the website, but someone will have to do the design fine-tuning
  514. Ge0rG jonas’: what about a box of upcoming events?
  515. marc_ has left
  516. jonas’ Ge0rG, complexity
  517. jonas’ I want this simple now
  518. Ge0rG it could be on the wiki as well, and feature elections and the like
  519. Ge0rG speaking of which... there is still no election page for Q1
  520. !xsf_Martin has joined
  521. Guus > I can probably draft some HTML for a b anner on the website, but someone will have to do the design fine-tuning 💓
  522. jonas’ that’s a nice box you got there
  523. dwd jonas’, The problem isn't just a banner. The problem is that if it weren't for my insisting it's really A Thing, my manager wouldn't have believed it's a real event.
  524. jonas’ dwd, yes, I see your point
  525. krauq has left
  526. jonas’ however, the banner is something I can do, and which I realised when browsing $anotherOrgs page recently that it is something the XSF lacks
  527. Guus The banner, linking to a Thing-definion
  528. Ge0rG dwd: isn't that kind of symptomatic for XSF events?
  529. jonas’ (announcing the event loudly on the main page)
  530. Zash SCAM needs a bigger marketing budget?
  531. dwd Ge0rG, Yes.
  532. dwd But here's the thing - right now, XMPP jobs, whilst relatively few, are very highly paid. There seems to be a lot of XMPP about, in some well-resourced areas. We should be getting really good attendence.
  533. dwd So I'm wondering if the reason we're not is because it's not seen as a normal corporate-friendly event.
  534. jonas’ Cobol jobs have the same classification
  535. jonas’ dwd, for starters, from my perception, summit was members-only
  536. jonas’ we’re not really advertising it to non-members
  537. dwd jonas’, No, and that can't be a good thing.
  538. Ge0rG from my perception, Summit is heavily biased to new protocol design, which is not typically something for newcomers
  539. dwd jonas’, The Dinner *is* members-only, though we've rarely enforced that.
  540. Ge0rG The one time I attended The Dinner, I wasn't a member.
  541. dwd Ge0rG, Yes, but we had an interesting session abotu where XMPP was used last time, which was really fascinating to me.
  542. Zash Members +1 ish?
  543. dwd Zash, Roughly.
  544. mtavares has joined
  545. Half-ShotX has left
  546. Half-ShotX has joined
  547. dwd But I wonder if we could [re-]introduce talks and other things that look a little more conference-y. We've done so before, but I think that making the Summit look a little more professional (ie, corporate) would help people expense travel to it, and therefore attend.
  548. jonas’ seems legit
  549. Ge0rG dwd: that sounds like a great idea. Maybe have one day of talks and one day of workshops?
  550. Ge0rG Even just calling what we do every year "workshops" will already make it more enterprisey
  551. jonas’ not that I consider myself to have a chance to attend on company budget, considering that we’re so not XMPP
  552. Zash That sounds fine
  553. Guus Let's add this to the agenda of the upcoming summit?
  554. Half-ShotX has left
  555. Guus Also, I would not mind having more than one per year
  556. Ge0rG there used to be two, across the pond
  557. Guus We're we could differentiate
  558. dwd Ge0rG, I was thinking just an afternoon to start with, but yes.
  559. jjrh has left
  560. Guus dwd: would you mind drafting a semi static summit event description for on the website?
  561. Ge0rG dwd: an afternoon of talks? Sure
  562. Guus We can have jonas’ banner link to it
  563. Guus There's a start.
  564. Zash There's these sprint things
  565. dwd Guus, I'll scribble some text.
  566. dwd Zash, You mean the hackathon type things? The IETF seems to get people to come to those.
  567. Guus Then add the sprint thing (cc pep. )
  568. jonas’ ohmygod
  569. jonas’ `npm i` then run `grunt` to compile Sass.
  570. jonas’ why
  571. jonas’ I take my "I can do a banner" back
  572. Guus Ok, I'm starting my car engine, afk.
  573. Zash dwd: something something ask pep.
  574. 404.city has joined
  575. dwd jonas’, This is why I said I would "scribble some text".
  576. Zash jonas’: what in the what and also why?
  577. frainz has left
  578. frainz has joined
  579. pep. !
  580. jjrh has left
  581. Half-ShotX has joined
  582. mtavares has joined
  583. !xsf_Martin has left
  584. !xsf_Martin has joined
  585. jonas’ https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/498 dwd, Guus
  586. neshtaxmpp has joined
  587. neshtaxmpp has joined
  588. daniel has joined
  589. Half-ShotX has left
  590. mtavares has joined
  591. Kev I think running a Real Conference for XMPP might be a good idea.
  592. Ge0rG Yes, and that doesn't need to be the Summit
  593. Zash Doit
  594. dwd Kev, I agree, but I think adapting the Summit to increase engagement probably gives the most overall benefit.
  595. Kev I don't think "We've got a room in the Cisco offices for a couple of days" is really it, though. What we do is perfect (well, YKWIM) for what we get out of it, which is advancing the state of XMPP with technical discussions, but a long way off being appealing as a Conference.
  596. Kev Which isn't to say we couldn't do a thing instead of the Summit (in it's usual form) instead, at the same time
  597. Steve Kille has left
  598. Steve Kille has left
  599. dwd Well, if we re-cast the bulk of the Summit as being "workshops" and "open panels", it might work, but I take your point.
  600. dwd nips off to pick up son.
  601. Kev It might, but I don't think one room at Cisco is what we need for this.
  602. Kev There's nothing stopping us doing a Conference and having protocol advancement sessions, either.
  603. jonas’ except manpower
  604. Kev But probably not all of it, and I think it needs more prior organisation than a Summit.
  605. Ge0rG Those are separate goals - make Summit look more enterprisey while keeping the content / make a conference appealing to commercial xmpp users
  606. labdsf has left
  607. labdsf has joined
  608. 404.city has left
  609. Kev There's "Try to make the Summit easy to expense for the usual sort of crowd" and "draw more people to the Summit"
  610. Half-ShotX has joined
  611. Steve Kille has joined
  612. ralphm has left
  613. frainz has left
  614. frainz has joined
  615. Half-ShotX has left
  616. daniel has joined
  617. daniel has joined
  618. labdsf has left
  619. labdsf has joined
  620. Erkan Files > There's "Try to make the Summit easy to expense for the usual sort of crowd" and "draw more people to the Summit" Does that mean that newbies should be able to participate and understand most of the "things" there?
  621. Zash Depends on what kind of newbie
  622. frainz has joined
  623. Half-ShotX has joined
  624. Erkan Files Like me
  625. Lance has joined
  626. Lance has left
  627. ralphm So usually there is a bunch of discussion on protocol, like the last few times with MIX.
  628. ralphm Some of those can be really indepth, some not so.
  629. frainz has joined
  630. mrDoctorWho has joined
  631. Zash What kind of participant would such an event aim for?
  632. ralphm So it depends on whether newbie means: “I haven't been around for long”, or “I don't know much about the protocols”
  633. ralphm I also want to note that we potentially have more rooms this year. Rudy (of Cisco) wrote: “I did in the meanwhile book the rooms Cassiopea and Electra (can be combined to a single larger, wider space) as well as the adjacent room Centaurus which you could use as a break room for speakers, organisers, logistics, ….”
  634. Half-ShotX has left
  635. Half-ShotX has joined
  636. Half-ShotX has left
  637. Guus has left
  638. Guus has joined
  639. ThibG has joined
  640. Half-ShotX has joined
  641. Erkan Files ralphm: Where is Cisco located
  642. ralphm Diegem
  643. ralphm https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summit_23
  644. Zash https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/29455013
  645. Erkan Files > So it depends on whether newbie means: “I haven't been around for long”, or “I don't know much about the protocols” I dont know much about the protocolls. My fear is that just the time and this MUC arent enough to get out of this kind of newbie status...
  646. Guus has left
  647. labdsf has left
  648. jjrh has left
  649. labdsf has joined
  650. labdsf has left
  651. labdsf has joined
  652. j.r has joined
  653. labdsf has left
  654. labdsf has joined
  655. jjrh has left
  656. labdsf has left
  657. labdsf has joined
  658. Ge0rG has joined
  659. lovetox what about https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/jingle-xtls.html
  660. lovetox how long does stuff stay in the inbox?
  661. lovetox forever?
  662. Zash until the end of time
  663. Guus has joined
  664. daniel has left
  665. Neustradamus mrDoctorWho
  666. daniel has joined
  667. ta has left
  668. ta has left
  669. ta has joined
  670. marc_ has joined
  671. labdsf has left
  672. labdsf has joined
  673. ralphm has left
  674. alacer has left
  675. lskdjf has joined
  676. jjrh has left
  677. jjrh has left
  678. jjrh has left
  679. jjrh has joined
  680. Guus has left
  681. Guus has joined
  682. l has joined
  683. genofire has left
  684. Guus has left
  685. sezuan has left
  686. lskdjf has joined
  687. lskdjf has joined
  688. Guus has joined
  689. jonas’ lovetox, it’s never deleted
  690. pep. https://dpaste.de/BjkD/raw something like that for sprints would do? thoughts?
  691. pep. I'll send a patch
  692. labdsf has left
  693. labdsf has joined
  694. j.r has left
  695. ralphm Sure!
  696. pep. https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/499
  697. j.r has joined
  698. Guus I'm back home
  699. Guus Thanks for all of the ideas, people
  700. jonas’ wb
  701. Guus I'd suggest keeping the summit pretty much as-is, and have another, more conferency, event, at another date.
  702. Guus I simply like the summit format - it has its own value.
  703. jonas’ I tend to agree, even though I only participated remotely
  704. Guus side note: the Cisco offices are not publicly accessible.
  705. jonas’ (I’ll have to figure out how to do that this year :/)
  706. Guus for a conferency-type of deal, we might want to consider using a different venue
  707. jonas’ agreed
  708. Zash has left
  709. pep. I'm all for this new idea :)
  710. pep. well, maybe not new idea
  711. pep. But I want to see it implemented
  712. Guus In any case, I'd suggest to not deviate to much from the Summit format for the upcoming event - as it's close, I'd like to avoid confusion.
  713. jonas’ very much +1
  714. pep. Sure
  715. jonas’ btw, I’m happy to hack in more crappy inline CSS to make this fancier: https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/498
  716. jonas’ but I’m at the limits of my creativity
  717. jonas’ so if anyone provides a mockup, I’m happy to try to achieve that
  718. Guus jonas’ it looks great to me - although I'd prefer a flashy / contrasting color, to pull in attention
  719. pep. nit: can this be vcentered?
  720. pep. the text inside the box
  721. Guus and cente....whathesaid
  722. jonas’ centering is trivial (and you probably mean hcenter)
  723. pep. I mean vcenter
  724. jonas’ please suggest colors, I’m really bad at picking those
  725. jonas’ pep., oh, you’re right
  726. Guus reddish or yellowish
  727. jonas’ Guus, I guessed that much
  728. Guus I actually ment vcenter 🙂
  729. jonas’ the details are the tricky part
  730. pep. vcentering was still one of the fun things to do when ran away from "the web"
  731. jonas’ in this case, I just had to kill the margin-bottom of the p which holds the text
  732. Guus jonas’ we use this blue for active menus: maybe that'd work: #008CBA
  733. jonas’ makes the link unreadable obviously
  734. jonas’ I could make the entire thing clickable though
  735. jonas’ which would do the trick
  736. Guus yeah, I suck at this more than you do 😃
  737. !xsf_Martin has left
  738. Guus has left
  739. jonas’ https://sotecware.net/images/dont-puush-me/OSJcUNBVjbMmS8ipFMSXmQUiLGu7U6qA7XjNO1t-3lQ.png
  740. jonas’ I think this is fair
  741. genofire has joined
  742. pep. LGTM
  743. goffi has joined
  744. jonas’ updated the PR: https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/498
  745. Guus
  746. Andrew Nenakhov has joined
  747. goffi If I get it well, I find this comment deeply depressing: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18847472
  748. goffi Telehash is a project from Jeremie Miller right?
  749. Guus well, it's an answer to a direct question on the status of telehash: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18827032
  750. Guus so it's not an unsolicited "by the way, look at this" type of comment.
  751. goffi Guus: yes, and it's coming from the Telehash core team apparently.
  752. goffi Guus: no that's not my point, my point is that Telehash, a project founded by Jeremie Miller, creator of Jabber, is using Slack to communicate.
  753. jonas’ looking at the screenshot after a while, this looks *so* much more alive now
  754. jonas’ with the upcoming event and all
  755. jonas’ we should be doing this for all our upcoming events
  756. Guus @jonas` definitely.
  757. jonas’ I wonder whether we can somehow integrate this with the blog, so that we don’t have to micro-manage tihs, but I don’t think that’s easy
  758. pep. jonas’, sprints and all?
  759. jonas’ yes
  760. goffi yes the banner looks nice.
  761. Guus i'd love to replace that top-right wiki thing
  762. jonas’ top-right wiki thing?
  763. fippo goffi: temas was one of the folks running jabberstudio.org back in the early days :-|
  764. goffi fippo: that's even more depressing :(
  765. Guus jonas’ https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Main_Page, top right, "upcoming events"
  766. jonas’ ahh
  767. jonas’ it needs an update, too
  768. jonas’ I’m going ahead and deleting the past stuff
  769. Guus I'd love for the website to become more 'active' or 'community driven', or whatver
  770. jonas’ unlikely to happen with the current framework
  771. jonas’ we need to figure out why it doesn’t build correctly locally
  772. Guus jonas’ please do, but move them to the archive page.
  773. jonas’ which archive pages
  774. jonas’ which archive page?
  775. Guus see link in box below 'recent events' 🙂
  776. Andrew Nenakhov has joined
  777. Guus what I typically do is move 'upcoming' to 'recent', and move the last few 'recents' to the archive.
  778. Zash has left
  779. jonas’ ugh
  780. jonas’ I’m incompetent sometimes
  781. jonas’ also, doing like three things at the same time while having had way not enough sleep isn’t good for me
  782. jonas’ fixing
  783. Guus hehe
  784. lumi has left
  785. Zash has joined
  786. goffi oh cool, Evgeny message was a misunderstanding.
  787. Guus also, it might be good to mention that the bar for adding/modifying the website is a lot lower than some people might think. I invite everyone to suggest changes.
  788. jonas’ Guus, does that look good to you? https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Main_Page
  789. Guus jonas’ sure, thanks.
  790. Guus it's no biggy either way
  791. jonas’ regarding the website bar: it is non-trivial to test the website locally due to the strict version requirements on pelican
  792. jonas’ not to mention that CSS changes require some (possibly web "standard", but still) npm installation stuff
  793. Guus right, it might currently be hard to apply a change, tehcnically, but I had a discussion last week where people where under the impression that only a few people get to decide what goes on the website
  794. jonas’ effectively, only a few people do ;-)
  795. jonas’ tohse with power over the uhge green merge button
  796. Guus right, but I'd _love_ to change that
  797. jonas’ I don’t
  798. Guus sure, there are a few gatekeepers, but content-wise, I'd love it live more.
  799. jonas’ yes
  800. Guus PRs are excellent
  801. Guus for this.
  802. jonas’ yes
  803. pep. If a gate-keeper could merge or review my PR for the sprints that'd be great :)
  804. Guus pep. I actually added a comment 🙂
  805. jonas’ I second Guus’ comment
  806. pep. heh, sure I can change that. So I'd reverse the order of the list as well right
  807. Guus (also, Seve , I'm painfully aware that there's still your PR to review)
  808. jonas’ what’s blocking that?
  809. Guus my time.
  810. Guus or attention span
  811. Guus simply didn't get around to it.
  812. jonas’ I mean, is this a content or a technical issue which needs to be reviewed?
  813. jonas’ note that one cannot test the menu locally with current pelican versions as of now
  814. pep. Should I add dates in these lists?
  815. jonas’ pep., dates would be good, especially for upcoming
  816. Guus pep. if you think it's helpful to interested people, yeah!
  817. jonas’ try to answer where, when, and if possible, what
  818. Guus jonas’ I simply haven't taken the time to look at it yet.
  819. pep. What is usually a bit difficult, as it's discussed really close to the date
  820. pep. Except for Brussels maybe where it was said it would be about UX from the start
  821. Andrew Nenakhov has left
  822. Andrew Nenakhov has joined
  823. Guus pep. do something like: "medio January"
  824. waqas has joined
  825. Guus "or Q1 2019"
  826. jonas’ I sense a misunderstanding
  827. pep. hmm?
  828. Guus misunderstanding?
  829. pep. Is it me or there's a lot of latin being used in this community? :P
  830. jonas’ Guus, aren’t the sprint dates fixed?
  831. jonas’ like, konwn
  832. jonas’ like, known
  833. pep. They are
  834. jonas’ goddamnit
  835. pep. Well, at some point
  836. jonas’ so I think that Guus misread your sentence "What is usually a bit difficult, as it's discussed really close to the date" (which I did too)
  837. pep. "What" is usually a bit difficult
  838. jonas’ yeah
  839. jjrh has left
  840. pep. https://bpaste.net/raw/57647708077f ?
  841. pep. Not sure how that will show
  842. Guus Aaah, I was under the impression that the final date was known only pretty close to the event.
  843. Guus so, a misunderstanding indeed. 🙂
  844. jonas’ pep., so, yeah, exact dates please
  845. jonas’ this was just confusion
  846. Guus pep, if you have actual dates (days), I'd use those.
  847. Guus yup, sorry for that.
  848. pep. hmm, brussels is two not consecutive days, in different months
  849. pep. That's going to be annoying
  850. waqas has left
  851. waqas has joined
  852. Guus hehe, whatever works 🙂 I'll not twist your arm behind your back to have exact dates 🙂
  853. Guus I'm already very happy that this goes on the website in the first place
  854. pep. Thanks, I appreciate
  855. pep. I like my arm very much
  856. pep. I like my arm very much where it is
  857. jonas’ pep., what
  858. jonas’ I don’t get it
  859. jonas’ if it’s two different events, it should get two entries
  860. jonas’ so you can put exact dates on each?
  861. pep. It's the "same" event, just that the summit "appeared" in between :P
  862. jonas’ sorry, I think I’m too tired to follow this
  863. pep. I think roel wanted to do two days, but asking people to be there tuesday _and_ wednesday was a bit too much, considering most of us are going to the summit and fosdem.
  864. pep. So they're going to do 30th (wed), and there's something that might happen on the 1st, at fosdem maybe, I don't know much
  865. jonas’ I see
  866. Guus pep. just add wednesday, and note on the wiki page that there might be a follow-up after FOSDEM
  867. jonas’ I’d just list "Jan 30th, Feb 1st, 2019 (around FOSDEM), Brussels" as link text
  868. pep. *At fosdem
  869. jonas’ or just Jan 30th, that’d probably work too
  870. pep. yeah
  871. Guus I'd be happy with any of the above. Go for it 🙂
  872. pep. Should I use british of usican on the website?
  873. pep. Should I use british or usican on the website?
  874. pep. (tired)
  875. jonas’ so tired
  876. jonas’ go for US when in doubt
  877. igoose has left
  878. jonas’ we use it in XEPs, too
  879. igoose has joined
  880. Guus use letters for months
  881. Guus and avoid confusion
  882. jonas’ yeah
  883. jonas’ or ISO format, but words read better in the list
  884. pep. "March 30-31st, 2019." ?
  885. Guus I'd not use the year
  886. Guus maybe in the archive
  887. jonas’ I’d add the year
  888. jonas’ you can never be sure whether a website is kept up-to-date
  889. Guus but for the upcoming events, they should be sufficiently close
  890. pep. I would add the year as well, it can be confusing otherwise
  891. Guus shrugs.
  892. jonas’ and when reading a list, it’s always good to see that right away
  893. pep. and yeah what jonas’ says
  894. jonas’ pep., that format looks readable to me
  895. Guus is still not going to twist arms.
  896. jonas’ I’m worried about the "still" :)
  897. pep. :D
  898. Guus got to keep the suspense goin' 🙂
  899. jonas’ :D
  900. pep. https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/499
  901. Guus Was dwd going to write a text descirbing the summit?
  902. jonas’ I’m not sure
  903. jonas’ pep., "March" is now duplicated in the list item
  904. pep. Ah fail.
  905. jonas’ I’d also probably have put it this way: * [Brussels, January 30th, 2019](...) (around FOSDEM)
  906. jonas’ but that’s just my preference
  907. jonas’ not going to twist arms, either
  908. pep. Please stop threatening my arms
  909. jonas’ I am not threatening your (or anybodies) arms :)
  910. Guus time to get creative with the body parts?
  911. Guus takes out his trusty IRC-trout...
  912. pep. not the trout!
  913. jonas’ :D
  914. jonas’ (t)rusty, probably
  915. pep. here, pushed again
  916. jonas’ also, isn’t trusty EOL ;-)
  917. Guus unrelated side note: https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/issues/497
  918. jonas’ I like it now, Guus
  919. Guus this concerns me
  920. jonas’ I like it now, pep.
  921. jonas’ Guus, it concerns me, too
  922. jonas’ board should definitely look into that
  923. jonas’ I would’ve made a PR
  924. Guus push the button, jonas’ !
  925. jonas’ but I’m not sure where we list sponsors, typically
  926. jonas’ and how
  927. jonas’ and such
  928. jonas’ youknow
  929. neshtaxmpp has joined
  930. jonas’ Guus, as board member, can you maybe comment that the Board will take this seriously?
  931. jonas’ leaving this uncommented for 3 days is... a bit meh
  932. Guus you're right
  933. jonas’ I HIT THE BUTTON
  934. jonas’ :)
  935. jonas’ (I am tired and getting silly)
  936. pep. How long does the website take to build again?
  937. Guus ages.
  938. jonas’ Guus, no
  939. jonas’ in total I think 10 - 15 minutes until it’s live
  940. pep. k, thanks
  941. Guus that's what I said.
  942. Guus 🙂
  943. jonas’ Guus, you’re not an editor, obviously
  944. Guus hahaha
  945. jonas’ that takes 60 minutes+
  946. Guus touche
  947. jonas’ so ... the website is rather fast.
  948. Erkan Files has left
  949. jonas’ we have a super-fancy banner on https://xmpp.org now :) thanks for the input :)
  950. pep. jonas’, we need the full package, incremental builds etc. :P
  951. pep. Or do you have that already
  952. jonas’ no.
  953. jonas’ then it would take like 5 minutes, not 60
  954. mtavares has joined
  955. mtavares has left
  956. mimi89999 has joined
  957. Guus well, while we're being effective: is there anything that we can do to speed https://github.com/xmpp-observatory along?
  958. jonas’ somebody needs to figure out how to teach the involved DNS relsover libraries about the new root zone keys
  959. jonas’ that’s the current remaining issue with xmpp.net
  960. pep. https://xmpp.org/community/events.html "Krakow (soon)", any idea when this "soon" is due for?
  961. jonas’ (that I am aware of)
  962. jonas’ pep., remove it
  963. jonas’ (or maybe check the git-blame first)
  964. pep. Also same page, it references Summit 22
  965. Guus jonas’ I'm not even sure I understand what you said.
  966. jonas’ pep., clean it, while you’re at it
  967. Guus pep. also, that's the link to last years' summit
  968. jonas’ Guus, xmpp.net works, except for the issue that it cannot validate DNSSEC currently. So any zone which uses DNSSEC appears to be broken to it. This needs fixing.
  969. pep. Guus, yes
  970. Guus you can safely remove all events, they're from last year, at best.
  971. jonas’ (it cannot validate DNSSEC because it uses the old keys for the root zone which have been exchanged recently in a surprisingly ostentatious ceremony)
  972. jonas’ Guus, so somebody needs to teach the libraries which are baked into the xmppoke docker thing about the new keys
  973. Guus I don't know how DNS zone / key / ceremony works.
  974. jonas’ it is fun
  975. Guus is this a configuration thingy, or a code change thingy?
  976. jonas’ probably code change thingy
  977. jonas’ because the keys are embedded in the library
  978. jonas’ worst case one needs to patch the binary file
  979. pep. https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/500
  980. Guus pep, please remove all events
  981. Guus they're from 2017
  982. Alex has joined
  983. pep. oh
  984. Guus oh, actually
  985. Guus no
  986. Guus the berlin one was from last december
  987. Yagiza has left
  988. pep. The berlin meetup is ongoing
  989. pep. I mean it's recurring, rather
  990. Guus stockholm can be removed
  991. pep. FOSDEM can also be updated
  992. Guus london can be removed
  993. Guus and Paris is also outdated
  994. Guus so, only keep Berlin 🙂
  995. pep. pushed
  996. Guus looks good. I'll let Travis do its thing, but am happy to merge
  997. Guus Thanks for doing all this guys!
  998. pep. goffi, https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/FOSDEM_2019 do you mind adding your talk if you have time?
  999. pep. There's also JC in there
  1000. pep. Dele I guess
  1001. goffi pep.: yes I will, but probably tomorrow, start to be tired now
  1002. pep. thanks
  1003. Guus jonas’ are you technically capable of doing the DNS zone magic that you just referred to, or should I direct my pretty-pleases at MattJ or others?
  1004. goffi pep.: please ping me again if I haven't done tomorrow evening
  1005. vaulor has joined
  1006. pep. k
  1007. MattJ Guus, direct at me
  1008. MattJ But I have less than zero time at the moment
  1009. Guus MattJ I have cherries-on-top to offer, to sweeten the deal.
  1010. Guus ah
  1011. Guus is there anyone else capable of doing this?
  1012. Guus with zero+ time available, hopefully?
  1013. pep. MattJ, does that mean Guus owes you time now
  1014. pep. For asking
  1015. MattJ It's just a matter of updating the Dockerfile to install a newer version of a dependency from a package that Zash already made
  1016. Guus pep. I have a tab going with him 🙂
  1017. MattJ and modifying it to stop using that dependency as a submodule which it currently compiles itself iirc
  1018. Guus oh, I can do that, I think
  1019. mtavares has joined
  1020. lorddavidiii has left
  1021. marc_ has left
  1022. waqas has left
  1023. waqas has joined
  1024. Half-ShotX has left
  1025. Guus MattJ / Zash can you identify said dependency, and the replacement package?
  1026. Guus luaunbound?
  1027. Guus (sounds DNSsie?)
  1028. pep. yes
  1029. pep. I mean, it is dnssie
  1030. Half-ShotX has joined
  1031. Half-ShotX has left
  1032. Guus I'm guestimating that this is the desired fix: https://code.zash.se/luaunbound/rev/3c3f017f35ac
  1033. efrit has joined
  1034. lskdjf has joined
  1035. oli lovetox: why are you interested in XTLS? client-to-client as in Jingle or something else?
  1036. lovetox yes jingle, but im not interested in it, Gajim already implements it
  1037. lovetox im just wondering why it never made it experimental
  1038. lnj has left
  1039. mtavares has joined
  1040. Half-ShotX has joined
  1041. tux has left
  1042. oli lovetox: encrypted jingle?
  1043. oli ok, yes, it's in the code.
  1044. oli has left
  1045. Guus https://github.com/xmpp-observatory/xmppoke/pull/3 <-- incredibly naive copy/paste thingy
  1046. oli has joined
  1047. Half-ShotX has left
  1048. Half-ShotX has joined
  1049. Half-ShotX has left
  1050. Guus jonas’ how do I test this fix locally? I need to run against a zone with DNS SEC?
  1051. Half-ShotX has joined
  1052. mtavares has left
  1053. Guus Hmm, I'm getting 'bogus dnssec' banners, which probably is an indication of failure. 😕
  1054. Half-ShotX has left
  1055. Half-ShotX has joined
  1056. ta has left
  1057. moparisthebest has joined
  1058. oli has left
  1059. oli has joined
  1060. Alex has left
  1061. lskdjf has joined
  1062. Guus has left
  1063. oli has left
  1064. oli has joined
  1065. oli has left
  1066. Half-ShotX has left
  1067. Half-ShotX has joined
  1068. oli has joined
  1069. oli has left
  1070. waqas has left
  1071. waqas has joined
  1072. MattJ Guus: yes, that's the bug
  1073. MattJ Pretty sure I confirmed a fix in a temporary container where I installed the package manually
  1074. l has left
  1075. ta has left
  1076. ta has left
  1077. Half-ShotX has left
  1078. Guus MattJ: im unsure what I'm doing. Locally, it didn't appear to work. Maybe I need to provide the commit message suggested trust file somehow.
  1079. Half-ShotX has joined
  1080. tux has joined
  1081. lovetox has left
  1082. Neustradamus has left
  1083. Neustradamus has joined
  1084. l has left
  1085. MattJ has joined
  1086. lskdjf has left
  1087. moparisthebest has left
  1088. moparisthebest has joined
  1089. waqas has left
  1090. waqas has joined
  1091. Half-ShotX has left
  1092. lskdjf has joined
  1093. mtavares has joined
  1094. oli has joined
  1095. Half-ShotX has joined
  1096. lskdjf has joined
  1097. lskdjf has joined