XSF Discussion - 2020-03-12


  1. xsf has joined
  2. arc has left
  3. arc has joined
  4. mukt2 has joined
  5. emus has left
  6. calvin has joined
  7. mukt2 has left
  8. raghavgururajan has joined
  9. arc has left
  10. arc has joined
  11. mukt2 has joined
  12. Daniel has left
  13. arc has left
  14. arc has joined
  15. LNJ has left
  16. mukt2 has left
  17. Daniel has joined
  18. mukt2 has joined
  19. arc has left
  20. arc has joined
  21. Daniel has left
  22. arc has left
  23. arc has joined
  24. arc has left
  25. arc has joined
  26. calvin has left
  27. mukt2 has left
  28. APach has left
  29. APach has joined
  30. calvin has joined
  31. murabito has left
  32. murabito has joined
  33. mukt2 has joined
  34. aj has joined
  35. mukt2 has left
  36. mukt2 has joined
  37. Daniel has joined
  38. Daniel has left
  39. mukt2 has left
  40. mukt2 has joined
  41. waqas has left
  42. aj has left
  43. Daniel has joined
  44. mukt2 has left
  45. mukt2 has joined
  46. pdurbin has joined
  47. mukt2 has left
  48. mukt2 has joined
  49. pdurbin has left
  50. mukt2 has left
  51. mukt2 has joined
  52. karoshi has left
  53. Zash has left
  54. mukt2 has left
  55. mukt2 has joined
  56. Daniel has left
  57. Daniel has joined
  58. Daniel has left
  59. mukt2 has left
  60. Daniel has joined
  61. Yagiza has joined
  62. mukt2 has joined
  63. lskdjf has left
  64. debacle has left
  65. raghavgururajan has left
  66. mukt2 has left
  67. mukt2 has joined
  68. arc has left
  69. arc has joined
  70. aj has joined
  71. larma has left
  72. mukt2 has left
  73. mukt2 has joined
  74. arc has left
  75. arc has joined
  76. mukt2 has left
  77. mukt2 has joined
  78. adiaholic_ has left
  79. adiaholic_ has joined
  80. mukt2 has left
  81. mukt2 has joined
  82. arc has left
  83. arc has joined
  84. calvin has left
  85. calvin has joined
  86. aj has left
  87. arc has left
  88. arc has joined
  89. arc has left
  90. arc has joined
  91. arc has left
  92. arc has joined
  93. arc has left
  94. arc has joined
  95. calvin has left
  96. Daniel has left
  97. Daniel has joined
  98. arc has left
  99. arc has joined
  100. aj has joined
  101. arc has left
  102. arc has joined
  103. andrey.g has joined
  104. aj has left
  105. raghavgururajan has joined
  106. arc has left
  107. arc has joined
  108. DebXWoody has joined
  109. arc has left
  110. arc has joined
  111. raghavgururajan has left
  112. raghavgururajan has joined
  113. Daniel has left
  114. Daniel has joined
  115. arc has left
  116. arc has joined
  117. raghavgururajan has left
  118. raghavgururajan has joined
  119. adiaholic_ has left
  120. adiaholic_ has joined
  121. andy has joined
  122. Tobias has joined
  123. Daniel has left
  124. Daniel has joined
  125. Zash has joined
  126. arc has left
  127. arc has joined
  128. raghavgururajan has left
  129. j.r has left
  130. j.r has joined
  131. mukt2 has left
  132. jonas’ https://mobile.twitter.com/jennafranke/status/1237493419510919168 > Not desperate enough to try WebEx, tho.
  133. pdurbin has joined
  134. mukt2 has joined
  135. LNJ has joined
  136. Jeybe has joined
  137. pdurbin has left
  138. mukt2 has left
  139. mukt2 has joined
  140. Maranda has left
  141. emus has joined
  142. rion xep-0371 has somewhat weird statement <p>In the unlikely event that one of the parties determines that it cannot establish connectivity even after sending and checking lower-priority candidates, it SHOULD terminate the session as described in <cite>XEP-0166</cite>.</p> But this may be content-remove or transport-replace as well. I'd remove this line at all.
  143. aj has joined
  144. raghavgururajan has joined
  145. Daniel has left
  146. Daniel has joined
  147. raghavgururajan has left
  148. raghavgururajan has joined
  149. arc has left
  150. arc has joined
  151. arc has left
  152. arc has joined
  153. mukt2 has left
  154. adiaholic_ has left
  155. adiaholic_ has joined
  156. aj has left
  157. paul has left
  158. paul has joined
  159. adiaholic_ has left
  160. adiaholic_ has joined
  161. raghavgururajan has left
  162. mukt2 has joined
  163. marc has joined
  164. mukt2 has left
  165. mukt2 has joined
  166. goffi has joined
  167. marc has left
  168. adiaholic_ has left
  169. adiaholic_ has joined
  170. goffi has left
  171. mukt2 has left
  172. mukt2 has joined
  173. adiaholic_ has left
  174. emus has left
  175. adiaholic_ has joined
  176. pdurbin has joined
  177. adiaholic_ has left
  178. adiaholic_ has joined
  179. Maranda has joined
  180. mukt2 has left
  181. arc has left
  182. arc has joined
  183. Dele Olajide has joined
  184. goffi has joined
  185. mukt2 has joined
  186. intosi has left
  187. intosi has joined
  188. intosi has left
  189. intosi has joined
  190. paul has left
  191. pdurbin has left
  192. paul has joined
  193. mukt2 has left
  194. intosi has left
  195. intosi has joined
  196. debacle has joined
  197. paul has left
  198. intosi has left
  199. Steve Kille has joined
  200. intosi has joined
  201. rion has left
  202. rion has joined
  203. adiaholic_ has left
  204. adiaholic_ has joined
  205. LNJ has left
  206. LNJ has joined
  207. emus has joined
  208. eevvoor has joined
  209. mukt2 has joined
  210. mukt2 has left
  211. Shell has joined
  212. larma has joined
  213. karoshi has joined
  214. adiaholic_ has left
  215. adiaholic_ has joined
  216. adiaholic_ has left
  217. adiaholic_ has joined
  218. paul has joined
  219. APach has left
  220. aj has joined
  221. mukt2 has joined
  222. mukt2 has left
  223. Max has joined
  224. APach has joined
  225. karoshi has left
  226. karoshi has joined
  227. Tobias has left
  228. Steve Kille has left
  229. emus has left
  230. emus has joined
  231. Tobias has joined
  232. Steve Kille has joined
  233. lskdjf has joined
  234. rion I'll update my ICE PR a little bit more this evening. What has to be done for it to be merged?
  235. andrey.g has left
  236. rion I just asked psa on jabber to review it. Not response so far.
  237. fippo has left
  238. APach has left
  239. rion oh. every time I write something to fippo, he is "*** fippo has been removed from the room due to technical problem" Where can I get his email?
  240. rion seems like found on wiki his jid :)
  241. APach has joined
  242. Jeybe has left
  243. Jeybe has joined
  244. rion I'll make an email threads afterwards, when I stop updating ICE PR. :)
  245. Jeybe has left
  246. Jeybe has joined
  247. mukt2 has joined
  248. Shell has left
  249. aj has left
  250. Jeybe has left
  251. Jeybe has joined
  252. Dele Olajide has left
  253. Dele Olajide has joined
  254. mukt2 has left
  255. marc has joined
  256. Jeybe has left
  257. Jeybe has joined
  258. Jeybe has left
  259. Jeybe has joined
  260. paul has left
  261. paul has joined
  262. Jeybe has left
  263. mukt2 has joined
  264. Jeybe has joined
  265. debacle has left
  266. adiaholic_ has left
  267. adiaholic_ has joined
  268. mukt2 has left
  269. calvin has joined
  270. paul has left
  271. Jeybe has left
  272. Jeybe has joined
  273. Nekit has left
  274. eta has left
  275. eta has joined
  276. Jeybe has left
  277. Jeybe has joined
  278. calvin has left
  279. calvin has joined
  280. Jeybe has left
  281. Jeybe has joined
  282. larma has left
  283. aj has joined
  284. larma has joined
  285. Shell has joined
  286. aj has left
  287. Jeybe has left
  288. adiaholic_ has left
  289. adiaholic_ has joined
  290. Jeybe has joined
  291. adiaholic_ has left
  292. adiaholic_ has joined
  293. Dele Olajide has left
  294. Dele Olajide has joined
  295. Dele Olajide has left
  296. Dele Olajide has joined
  297. pdurbin has joined
  298. Jeybe has left
  299. Jeybe has joined
  300. adiaholic_ has left
  301. adiaholic_ has joined
  302. Dele Olajide has left
  303. Dele Olajide has joined
  304. nyco-2 has joined
  305. debacle has joined
  306. Jeybe has left
  307. Jeybe has joined
  308. Dele Olajide has left
  309. Dele Olajide has joined
  310. Dele Olajide has left
  311. pdurbin has left
  312. Dele Olajide has joined
  313. aj has joined
  314. Shell has left
  315. Max has left
  316. Max has joined
  317. adiaholic_ has left
  318. adiaholic_ has joined
  319. Guus I'm following government update on corona, want to keep following that
  320. Guus (re: board meeting)
  321. pep. !
  322. ralphm same here
  323. pep. What does that mean re board meeting?
  324. ralphm shouldn't take more than a few minutes, I think
  325. Guus regarding
  326. pep. There's some kind of announcement or sth?
  327. aj has left
  328. ralphm Yeah, additional measures.
  329. pep. k
  330. ralphm E.g. shutdown of all events, venues >100 persons.
  331. nyco-2 in France, it used to be 5 k, then 1k, Macron will speak on TV at 20:00
  332. pep. No but france is not in danger! number are way lower than other countries around! We can keep the economy going! Let's not disrupt the market :)
  333. moparisthebest New marketing strategy: meeting via XMPP prevents coronavirus
  334. Ge0rG ,oO( https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22554145 )
  335. moparisthebest Can't imagine a group that "smart" will come up with anything
  336. Jeybe has left
  337. Jeybe has joined
  338. Jeybe has left
  339. Jeybe has joined
  340. pep. How is the thing going?
  341. nyco-2 Covid-19 growth goes quite fine 🙂
  342. pep. Talking about the announcement :P
  343. nyco-2 :-p
  344. nyco-2 I gotta go, won't be able to do the minutes this time
  345. pep. nyco-2, plesae try to read commteam@ when you have some time
  346. nyco-2 has left
  347. Wojtek has joined
  348. emus has left
  349. Guus Board: are we still meeting today?
  350. pep. Please
  351. Guus ralphm MattJ Seve ?
  352. MattJ Here
  353. Seve Hello :)
  354. ralphm waves
  355. Guus full house
  356. ralphm 0. Welcome
  357. ralphm Hi all, slightly delayed :-D
  358. ralphm Any additional items for the agenda?
  359. MattJ None from me
  360. Guus none here
  361. pep. nope
  362. ralphm 1. Minute taker
  363. pep. If nobody I can do that afterwards
  364. ralphm Can somebody pick this up instead of nyco?
  365. ralphm Thanks pep
  366. ralphm 2. Sponsors
  367. ralphm I'm almost done drafting the e-mails I promised. I will send them to the board list for review.
  368. ralphm Anything specific you'd like to put in there, in terms of funding things this year?
  369. Guus (none from me)
  370. pep. hmm, as an example, sure, I'd like to start discussions around that at least
  371. Guus We might want to avoid making the request to specific, which would tie us down.
  372. paul has joined
  373. ralphm Sure, I'd note them as considerations.
  374. pep. Sprints is one that's in the process already. Sponsoring travel fees etc. to conferences I'd like to tackle at some point. Work in different teams that need it? iteam for example. Work on specifications that we deem necessary, etc.
  375. ralphm Without funding, making such choices might be harder.
  376. ralphm pep., I've already put in travel, sprints/meetups.
  377. pep. k
  378. ralphm And was indeed considering iteam
  379. MattJ sgtm
  380. ralphm (as in paying somebody to do work there, which I think was mentioned earlier)
  381. Guus we could put in a generic refernce to marketing
  382. ralphm nods
  383. pep. Yes marketing
  384. pep. The community manager nyco mentioned at summit
  385. aj has joined
  386. ralphm I don't recall that. Can you summarize that a bit?
  387. Guus "we need marketing" 😃
  388. pep. That
  389. ralphm I meant specifically the community manager bit
  390. Seve 😁
  391. pep. Somebody to be active on different social media platforms because commteam can't commit to it themselves
  392. ralphm I fully agreed on needing marketing :_D
  393. ralphm ok
  394. ralphm Thanks, I can work with that.
  395. pep. Even just a few hours a week
  396. Guus isn't Nyco teamlead of commteam
  397. Guus (hence the title that pep used)
  398. ralphm yes
  399. ralphm ok
  400. ralphm 3. SCAM's Supporting Sprints proposal
  401. ralphm I've read the minutes on this. I'd indeed take this out of the SCAM budget. If that budget turns out to not be sufficient, it might be good to revise.
  402. Guus Is board in agreement that having compensation in some form is desirable?
  403. pep. Peter as the treasurer seems to say it's not an issue, and he's actually trying alternative ways to send money outside US
  404. j.r has left
  405. arc has left
  406. arc has joined
  407. MattJ I'm in favour of funding sprints (under the conditions of the proposal that's been put forward), and in favour of it coming from the SCAM budget, and in favour of increasing the SCAM budget if it's insufficient
  408. ralphm Guus, I'd say that if sprints, organized under the XSF "flag" incur costs, we should carry that.
  409. MattJ Obviously there should be a sensible cap on the number of events we fund per year, I think the proposal covered things like this fairly well
  410. Guus I'm in favor too.
  411. ralphm SCAM would get incoming sprints requests, assess costs, approve as a SCAM activity, and then arrange for refunding.
  412. Guus Having it taken out of the SCAM budget (which I dislike, but can agree with) does give us a natural cap / safety limit.
  413. MattJ Yes
  414. Seve Right
  415. ralphm Guus: why do you dislike that? The S in SCAM is for sprints.
  416. pep. I don't see an issue with covering this with SCAM. We can indeed revise the budget later
  417. pep. heh, such backronym :p
  418. Guus scam budget was intended for out of pocket costs, in my opinion. Adding this would make it more of a financial entity.
  419. ralphm pep: S{prints,ummits} Conferences and Meetups.
  420. Guus but, as I said - I don't feel very strong about this.
  421. ralphm Guus: well, no, SCAM budget up till now has mostly been for paying for stuff at the Summit / FOSDEM, including renting a van, and buying materials such as banners.
  422. ralphm I wouldn't count those as pocket costs.
  423. MattJ brb
  424. Guus ralphm I really don't think it's worth our time to discuss this.
  425. Guus I'm fine with it.
  426. ralphm Ok, good.
  427. pep. heh, I'd be interested to know what exactly goes into the scam budget
  428. pep. I'll raise that in scam@
  429. ralphm Since we are in agreement this is already covered by the SCAM budget, I don't think we need to take action right now.
  430. ralphm Other than me putting in some expenses :-D
  431. Guus hehe, that makes three of us 🙂
  432. ralphm Good.
  433. ralphm Since we're already delayed:
  434. ralphm 4. AOB
  435. Guus do we want to do something around corona?
  436. adiaholic_ has left
  437. adiaholic_ has joined
  438. Guus eg: advise to not have sprints?
  439. Guus (fwiw: I don't think so)
  440. pep. I think people are big enough to make their own decisions
  441. Guus agreed.
  442. ralphm I'd defer that to Sprint organisers.
  443. pep. We're not competent in this regard
  444. Seve > I'd defer that to Sprint organisers. That
  445. ralphm If the Summit would have been planned in the near future, it would surely be cancelled.
  446. adiaholic_ has left
  447. adiaholic_ has joined
  448. pep. I don't think we've finished the discussion around board voting process etc., happy to defer to next week, but I'd like to come back to it at some point nonetheless
  449. ralphm pep., ok, let's do that next week.
  450. Guus right.
  451. pep. It should have been a 5mn talk but whatever
  452. Guus pep: maybe prepare on list?
  453. Seve Okay
  454. ralphm I do have to go to other meetings unfortunately.
  455. Guus now, or next week?
  456. ralphm 5. Date of Next
  457. Guus +1w wfm
  458. MattJ wfm
  459. Seve Alright!
  460. pep. same here
  461. ralphm 6. Close
  462. ralphm Thanks all!
  463. MattJ Thanks!
  464. Seve Take care!
  465. pep. Thanks
  466. ralphm bangs gavel (once retroactively, once now)
  467. Jeybe has left
  468. j.r has joined
  469. emus has joined
  470. aj has left
  471. marc has left
  472. marc has joined
  473. adiaholic_ has left
  474. adiaholic_ has joined
  475. andrey.g has joined
  476. Marc has left
  477. Marc has joined
  478. Jeybe has joined
  479. aj has joined
  480. pep. https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2020/mar/12/virtualchat/ Software Freedom Conservancy inviting people to chat :)
  481. Daniel The golden age of IM
  482. jonas’ #corona?
  483. rion are we gonna have coronavirus XEP for April 1 ?
  484. jonas’ I’m sceptical about putting out a humurous document about an ongoing pandemic killing people daily.
  485. pep. yeah
  486. pep. As an editor I'd definitely avoid that
  487. rion out guys already joking about deprecating handshakes for tcp
  488. rion too black humor?
  489. jonas’ a matter of audience and placement
  490. pep. The TCP handshake is fun as a tweet
  491. jonas’ yeah
  492. jonas’ it’s not fun as a standards document
  493. moparisthebest for april 1st this year I'm going to propose advancing DoX to draft
  494. moparisthebest keep everyone guessing as to how serious it is
  495. xsf has left
  496. jonas’ and I can make fun of corona despite my father-in-law being most certainly within the 2% if he got infected, but I’d not be comfortable with a Humorous Track XEP
  497. pep. Humorous draft?
  498. xsf has joined
  499. moparisthebest no it's standards track
  500. LNJ has left
  501. jonas’ pep., it’s Standards Track.
  502. larma moparisthebest, fwiw, we plan to implement it in Dino at some point
  503. jonas’ moparisthebest, if you wanna be fun, build a DoX frontend for dnsdist
  504. larma to circumvent Tor not having UDP for DNS SRV lookups
  505. moparisthebest good use-case larma ! :)
  506. Daniel And Do(XT) is not good enough?
  507. Daniel And Do(HT) is not good enough?
  508. aj has left
  509. larma Daniel, works as well, but why use HTTP in an XMPP client if we don't need to?
  510. Daniel Less rtt
  511. larma It's not a huge difference in implementation work
  512. larma Not really?
  513. jonas’ Daniel, I guess that depends on whether you hold the connection or not
  514. jonas’ I’d prefer DoT though
  515. jonas’ it’s the least insane thing to do
  516. moparisthebest it's tricky, if you keep the XMPP connection up it's far less RTT/overhead than DoH, if you don't...
  517. moparisthebest what you really want to do is DoX over BOSH
  518. jonas’ moparisthebest, problem is, though, when you need to do DNS lookups, you probably need to do that because you’re reconnecting. You’ll also have to cycle your DoX connection then.
  519. Daniel Realistically I'm not going to hold the connection uoen
  520. Daniel Realistically I'm not going to hold the connection upen
  521. Daniel Especially since most times when I need srv records I just switched networks
  522. moparisthebest I think for initial SRV lookup that's right
  523. Daniel Or coming back from suspend or whatever
  524. calvin has left
  525. calvin has joined
  526. Daniel Are there non-initial srv lookups ml
  527. Daniel Are there non-initial srv lookups?
  528. jonas’ I don’t think so
  529. david has left
  530. Ge0rG *cough* 0198 resume *cough*
  531. jonas’ I’d be surprised if DoX servers would support '198
  532. jonas’ I mean, DoX servers for public use
  533. moparisthebest Daniel, I was about to say "not for a client" but, http upload, ICE, STUN, TURN etc ?
  534. jonas’ none of that needs SRV
  535. moparisthebest but it needs DNS
  536. jonas’ sure, but you can have that via Tor for TCP connections
  537. jonas’ no need to do it yourself
  538. Daniel It's also questionable if you need stun or turn when connected over tor
  539. david has joined
  540. moparisthebest well I didn't exactly mean *only* over tor
  541. moparisthebest might be nice to have an XMPP client pull a firefox, let you hardcode IP+port to connect to for initial SRV bootstrap, and dns jid for all after-connection lookups, so no standard DNS ever comes from the client
  542. jonas’ frankly, I don’t ever see a reason to prefer DoX or even DoH for non-browser software
  543. aj has joined
  544. jonas’ DoT is good enough
  545. moparisthebest extra connections, extra RTT
  546. jonas’ you also need an extra connection for (initial) DoX
  547. moparisthebest just the once though
  548. jonas’ same for DoT
  549. jonas’ you can reuse your TLS connection for multiple requests
  550. moparisthebest that's only a maybe, in practice they'll disconnect you if you are quiet for any length of time
  551. jonas’ I expect your DoX proxy to do the same
  552. jonas’ and keeping the DoX connection alive is stupid, because you’ll need to ping it either way to keep it alive for NATs and stuff
  553. jonas’ it’s expensive
  554. jonas’ when you don’t need it, tear it down
  555. moparisthebest no? once you are connected you only keep the connection open to your server, then just exchange messages between dox jid and you
  556. jonas’ ah, so you’re going to use your real JID to ask the DoX service?
  557. jonas’ after you just asked for the SRV record?
  558. jonas’ essentially de-anonymizing your initial request?
  559. moparisthebest I agree DoX doesn't have an advantage over DoH or DoT for initial SRV lookup
  560. jonas’ I’m not convinced that associating your real JID with DNS lookups is a good idea
  561. moparisthebest JID, IP, what's the difference
  562. moparisthebest nothing says you are asking the same one either
  563. jonas’ a huge when we’re talking about Tor
  564. pep. moparisthebest, "pull a firefox" :P
  565. jonas’ moparisthebest, a JID is a stable identifier, an IP is not.
  566. jonas’ if you’re a government or ISP, sure, you can do a lot with an IP
  567. moparisthebest eh, both those are shaky
  568. moparisthebest IP can be, JID may not be
  569. jonas’ a JID is, period. Unless we’re talking about SASL ANONYMOUS, which will cut your connection after inactivity just like a DoT resolver will, to conserve resources
  570. moparisthebest maybe, maybe not
  571. lovetox has joined
  572. moparisthebest I'm not convinced something@something.onion is an identifier you can tie back to an individual like an IP could be
  573. jonas’ that’s assuming you’re connecting to an onion service. which will not be able to federate with lots of servers.
  574. moparisthebest we could also define something like "server de-identifying DoX IQs" or so, ie modify from=jid@domain to from=domain then put it back on reply
  575. jonas’ ah, I want to write a generic IQ proxy XEP either way
  576. moparisthebest yea, I'd like to fix that (many servers not federating with .onion)
  577. jonas’ in context of XEP-0433
  578. krauq has left
  579. aj has left
  580. mr.fister has joined
  581. Ge0rG jonas’: you could write a generic XMPP proxy XEP.
  582. Steve Kille has left
  583. Ge0rG why only do IQs if you can do... ANYTHING!
  584. krauq has joined
  585. moparisthebest well, depending on the payload the other end probably cares about who sent it
  586. moparisthebest DoX should not, however
  587. moparisthebest I don't think a server should care about catering to evil DoX backends that send different answers to different JIDs :)
  588. jonas’ Ge0rG, because the way I envision it it would be kind of like stateless NAT, so you need some context attached to the conversation. That means that message replies wouldn’t necessarily be routable
  589. moparisthebest but could be nice and make it opt-in for clients anyhow
  590. jonas’ presence being even worse
  591. jonas’ kind of like a generalised and reversed mod_client_proxy
  592. jonas’ also standardised ;)
  593. Ge0rG just use sha256(real_jid)@proxy-component. Problem solved.
  594. jonas’ how to revert that?
  595. jonas’ (when the reply comes in)
  596. eevvoor has left
  597. moparisthebest jonas’, ah, so like a client can specifically ask the component to "proxy this IQ to this JID for me please?" that would be ideal
  598. moparisthebest yea, if you do sha256(real_jid) you still have to keep a reverse lookup table, so it'd be better to use something the other end has no chance of reversing, a randomly generated per-account string or so
  599. jonas’ you send your IQ to the component and the component sends it to the receiver
  600. Ge0rG jonas’: keep an eternal map ;)
  601. Ge0rG jonas’: how do you route the IQ reply? Or will you just keep all in-flight IQs in memory forever?
  602. Ge0rG Because, that never caused trouble in the past, you know.
  603. jonas’ Ge0rG, in mod_client_proxy it’s easy, it’s 100% stateless. but it’s not anonymizing
  604. moparisthebest if each client has a stable identifier@proxy-component ^
  605. Ge0rG jonas’: yeah, you can't have both.
  606. moparisthebest but otherwise, hairy I guess
  607. jonas’ in case of the proxy protocol, the only way would be to keep a temporary map (maybe generate a random ID per request?) and map based on that. and when the peer doesn’t reply in time, synthesize a specific timeout error
  608. jonas’ moparisthebest, no need for identifier@, you can put it all in the IQ @id
  609. marc has left
  610. gav has left
  611. marc has joined
  612. moparisthebest well it's 1 or the other right? identifier@ and stateless, or not and you have to keep track of IQs ?
  613. jonas’ you can’t have it fully stateless
  614. jonas’ (and nothing stops you from base64-encoding some kind of struct in the IQ @id and decoding that when translating back
  615. moparisthebest if bob@server 's proxy id was some-identifier-tied-to-bob@proxy-component, then it'd be fully stateless right?
  616. jonas’ ahh, but that’d require registration with the proxy component
  617. jonas’ and I’d rather not have people have persistent addresses behind the proxy
  618. gav has joined
  619. jonas’ though that’s actually an implementation detail
  620. neshtaxmpp has left
  621. moparisthebest yea, servers could rotate whenever
  622. jonas’ the key part is specifying the protocol to wrap your IQ and letting the proxy handle it. how the proxy does the translation (and whether it, for example, requires registration or affiliation with a server or not) is up to the impl
  623. moparisthebest like it'd probably be sane to rotate every 24 hours but keep the last one active for incoming, or something
  624. jonas’ there is no incoming after the IQ reply came back
  625. moparisthebest yea, but if you didn't want to track anything
  626. jonas’ you have to track something at least
  627. moparisthebest tracking each IQ seems harder than just having a list of each JID that used you in the last 24 hours
  628. jonas’ *shrug*
  629. jonas’ implementation details!
  630. j.r has left
  631. moparisthebest yep I think so... as long as the spec doesn't push you into a corner, sounds like it'd be fine though
  632. j.r has joined
  633. david has left
  634. adiaholic_ has left
  635. adiaholic_ has joined
  636. calvin has left
  637. calvin has joined
  638. moparisthebest rion, "joking about deprecating handshakes for tcp" my synpathies for anyone using it afterwards
  639. jonas’ QUIC?
  640. neshtaxmpp has joined
  641. david has joined
  642. goffi has left
  643. goffi has joined
  644. eta has left
  645. eta has joined
  646. Wojtek has left
  647. arc has left
  648. arc has joined
  649. sonny has left
  650. Jeybe has left
  651. Jeybe has joined
  652. Yagiza has left
  653. sonny has joined
  654. waqas has joined
  655. Yagiza has joined
  656. Yagiza has left
  657. Yagiza has joined
  658. Yagiza has left
  659. Jeybe has left
  660. Jeybe has joined
  661. Steve Kille has joined
  662. Wojtek has joined
  663. Jeybe has left
  664. Jeybe has joined
  665. Jeybe has left
  666. Jeybe has joined
  667. Jeybe has left
  668. Jeybe has joined
  669. Alex hey guys, its meeting time. Are you ready?
  670. Ge0rG huh what?
  671. Alex membership
  672. Alex approving our voting results
  673. Guus ack
  674. Daniel I'm here
  675. Alex great
  676. Alex bangs the gavel
  677. pep. !
  678. pep. Just while Macron is speaking on TV!
  679. jonas’ whoopsie
  680. jonas’ totally missed it, good thing I voted already ;)
  681. Alex here is our Agenda for today: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Meeting-Minutes-2020-03-12
  682. jonas’ dinner time now, won’t attend actively
  683. Alex pep.‎, cannot compete with your presedent ;-)
  684. pep. It's fine, probably bs as usual :)
  685. Alex 1) Call for Quorum
  686. Ge0rG looks like I voted already as well. Phew!
  687. Alex as you can see 29 members voted via proxy, so we have a quorum
  688. Zash just voted
  689. Alex 2) Items Subject to a Vote
  690. Alex new and returnign members, you can see the Wiki page for that here: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Membership_Applications_Q1_2020
  691. Alex 3) Opportunity for XSF Members to Vote in the Meeting
  692. Alex memberbot is still online, so if someone has not voted yet this is your time now ;-)
  693. Alex zash, got your vote 3 minutes ago
  694. Zash :D
  695. Alex anyone else?
  696. Alex otherwise I will shuitdown the bot and work on the results
  697. pep. Alex, one sec, linkmauve is on it :P
  698. pep. Link Mauve, ^
  699. Link Mauve Yes, I’m on it.
  700. Alex no rush, nobody is waiting for you 😂
  701. Alex got your vote
  702. Alex more coming?
  703. Link Mauve There, I’m done!
  704. Alex okay
  705. Alex will shut down then and start counting
  706. Link Mauve Adding to memberbot’s TODO: accept LMC.
  707. david has left
  708. Alex okay, I am ready
  709. calvin has left
  710. pdurbin has joined
  711. Alex 4) Announcement of Voting Results
  712. Alex when you reload the page at: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Meeting-Minutes-2020-03-12#Announcement_of_Voting_Results you can see the results
  713. Alex all applicants and reappliers were accepted
  714. Alex congrats to everyone
  715. pep. Thanks Alex
  716. Alex 5) Any Other Business?
  717. pep. And welcome emus :)
  718. Alex 6) Formal Adjournment
  719. Alex I motion that we adjourn
  720. pep. \o/
  721. Link Mauve Thanks Alex, and congrats everyone. :)
  722. david has joined
  723. Guus +!
  724. Guus +1
  725. Alex bangs the gavel
  726. Guus Thanks Alex!
  727. pdurbin has left
  728. emus \o/ Hello, and thank you!
  729. rion has left
  730. Link Mauve emus, welcome to the XSF!
  731. Neustradamus 🤘
  732. emus Link Mauve: Thanks 👋🎉
  733. LNJ has joined
  734. jonas’ welcome emus
  735. jonas’ all current council members got at least -2
  736. rion has joined
  737. emus jonas’: Hello hello, thanks
  738. Daniel > all current council members got at least -2 We are too spammy with our Last calls 😂
  739. jonas’ that’s clearly the editors fault
  740. jonas’ though all the editors also got at least -2
  741. emus Daniel: Better dont read the next Newsletter 😅
  742. Wojtek has left
  743. vanitasvitae Welcome Emus!
  744. marc has left
  745. emus 😊 Muchas gracias!
  746. marc has joined
  747. rion has left
  748. rion has joined
  749. david has left
  750. Nekit has joined
  751. Jeybe has left
  752. david has joined
  753. Wojtek has joined
  754. DebXWoody has left
  755. Daniel has left
  756. Daniel has joined
  757. raghavgururajan has joined
  758. eevvoor has joined
  759. raghavgururajan has left
  760. pep. I guess so, don't remember exactly how that works
  761. adiaholic_ has left
  762. adiaholic_ has joined
  763. pep. ah fail pm
  764. pep. Sorry but that Conversations "feature" kills every single time
  765. pep. Sorry but that Conversations "feature" kills me every single time
  766. calvin has joined
  767. serge90 has left
  768. serge90 has joined
  769. Ge0rG 🤐
  770. raghavgururajan has joined
  771. raghavgururajan has left
  772. DebXWoody has joined
  773. DebXWoody has left
  774. DebXWoody has joined
  775. LNJ has left
  776. raghavgururajan has joined
  777. j.r has left
  778. j.r has joined
  779. pdurbin has joined
  780. calvin has left
  781. Marc has left
  782. arc has left
  783. arc has joined
  784. calvin has joined
  785. arc has left
  786. arc has joined
  787. marc has left
  788. Marc has joined
  789. pdurbin has left
  790. calvin has left
  791. marc has joined
  792. Jeybe has joined
  793. aj has joined
  794. Tobias has left
  795. eta has left
  796. eta has joined
  797. marc has left
  798. eevvoor has left
  799. Jeybe has left
  800. Jeybe has joined
  801. calvin has joined
  802. arc has left
  803. arc has joined
  804. arc has left
  805. arc has joined
  806. arc has left
  807. arc has joined
  808. Jeybe has left
  809. calvin has left
  810. calvin has joined
  811. Jeybe has joined
  812. marc has joined
  813. arc has left
  814. arc has joined
  815. Jeybe has left
  816. Jeybe has joined
  817. pep. https://act.eff.org/action/protect-our-speech-and-security-online-reject-the-graham-blumenthal-bill For US citizens. And for the rest, please send that to your friends in the US.
  818. DebXWoody has left
  819. Dele Olajide has left
  820. Nekit has left
  821. Jeybe has left
  822. Jeybe has joined
  823. Jeybe has left
  824. Jeybe has joined
  825. marc has left
  826. calvin has left
  827. Jeybe has left
  828. lovetox i think they gonna have other problems coming next week :/
  829. marc has joined
  830. emus lovetox: are talking about corona or what did I miss?
  831. robertooo has left
  832. Zash has left
  833. raghavgururajan has left
  834. Zash has joined
  835. winfried has left
  836. winfried has joined
  837. marc has left
  838. lovetox yes
  839. lovetox i think it will hit the US pretty hard
  840. lovetox i think their health care system is in really bad shape to handle this
  841. emus Yes, just thought the same
  842. Daniel Good thing they have good leadership
  843. pep. lovetox, and bernie is less and less likely to win. We're going to laugh when we see their health care system fail to handle all of this..
  844. Marc has left
  845. aj has left
  846. aj has joined
  847. aj has left
  848. arc has left
  849. arc has joined
  850. lovetox has left
  851. karoshi has left
  852. krauq has left
  853. emus has left
  854. arc has left
  855. arc has joined
  856. arc has left
  857. arc has joined
  858. aj has joined
  859. arc has left
  860. arc has joined
  861. aj has left
  862. goffi has left
  863. arc has left
  864. arc has joined
  865. arc has left
  866. arc has joined
  867. arc has left
  868. arc has joined
  869. raghavgururajan has joined