Summits, Conferences and Meetups workgroup - 2020-02-04


  1. daniel has left
  2. daniel has joined
  3. DebXWoody has left
  4. daniel has left
  5. DebXWoody has joined
  6. daniel has joined
  7. daniel has left
  8. daniel has joined
  9. DebXWoody has left
  10. DebXWoody has joined
  11. daniel has left
  12. daniel has joined
  13. daniel has left
  14. DebXWoody has left
  15. mrheritage has left
  16. mrheritage has joined
  17. daniel has joined
  18. daniel has left
  19. DebXWoody has joined
  20. daniel has joined
  21. daniel has left
  22. daniel has joined
  23. daniel has left
  24. daniel has joined
  25. daniel has left
  26. mrheritage has left
  27. daniel has joined
  28. daniel has left
  29. daniel has joined
  30. daniel has left
  31. daniel has joined
  32. daniel has left
  33. daniel has joined
  34. Nÿco I'll be there, I'll open a pad, for minutes
  35. pep. I don't think there's anything on the agenda
  36. pep. I'd be curious to know if we can already get in touch with froscon people or if it's too early
  37. daniel pep.: I think they are going to do a call for devrooms
  38. pep. and maybe try to reach people in the community to tell them to start preparing talks :p
  39. daniel I mean froscon is more than 7 month away
  40. daniel I'm all for starting early. But it is a bit too early
  41. pep. well I don't have much experience with any of that so I'm a bit cautious :p
  42. pep. but yeah it's only a track it's not like we were organising the whole conf
  43. mrheritage has joined
  44. daniel Yeah I understand that. But I'd be weird reaching out *before* they actually call for devrooms
  45. daniel And they usually aren't doing that last minute
  46. daniel So it'll be fine to just wait I reckon
  47. Nÿco I'd to add this to the agenda: * content, content, content: basically, sprints are just hugely awesome, but we don't spread the word => I would suggest to at least publish a report afterwards (doesn't have to be immediate), the ideal would be to announce it beforehand and do a live coverage * I drafted a presentation for booths, that loops (but unfortunately, it's 4+MB so too large for MUCs), that I will send to you all: it's a 20 min work, only screenshots, so honestly not good, but a basis for discussion for a later such booth-looping-presentation
  48. daniel Pep has written awesome blog posts for every single sprint
  49. Nÿco some events are lacking
  50. daniel Last sprint we even produced a video. Which took four people and several takes
  51. Nÿco it's awesome, did I cover it in the newsletter?
  52. Nÿco but we'll discuss all this during our meeting: my point is the before+during
  53. daniel I agree content is good. No argument there. But the existing awesome work (primarily by pep) also needs to be acknowledged
  54. Nÿco acknowledged, congrats, thx
  55. Nÿco third point in agenda: hex stickers this year, it has been a hit http://hexb.in/ https://github.com/terinjokes/StickersStandard/wiki/Vendors
  56. Nÿco for our meeting: https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/9etk-scam-2020-02-04-ytcdbzoctm
  57. Guus fwiw: did we have enough stickers/swag at the FOSDEM booth?
  58. mrheritage has left
  59. mrheritage has joined
  60. Nÿco I think so
  61. Nÿco I left in the middle of the afternoon on Sunday
  62. mrheritage has left
  63. MattJ I think we possibly ran out of XMPP stickers right towards the end of Sunday
  64. MattJ People did some last-minute grabs as usual
  65. MattJ ConverseJS stickers went quite early
  66. MattJ I left the leaflet stands with all the other XSF stuff - consider them donated (and it would be nice to have other leaflets next year)
  67. Guus Yeah, I promise myself to generate some every year... 🙂
  68. Guus Thanks!
  69. MattJ Apart from Snikket I also had on my list a "What is XMPP/Why XMPP?" overview leaflet that I wanted to produce, but I didn't get the time
  70. MattJ I'll try and work on that
  71. MattJ It would be good to maybe maintain that one collectively as the XSF, and update/reprint as necessary each year
  72. Guus yeah - we've talked about that previously. I think we've even started a 'repository' of sorts in the wiki
  73. Guus but that can use additional love.
  74. pep. We have used a template made by a benevolant soul (not SouL, obligatory hl), for the Capitole du Libre in Toulouse, and we've used some of that at POSS as well
  75. mrheritage has joined
  76. SouL haha
  77. Nÿco bing
  78. Guus Scam meeting time - Would someone else chair please?
  79. Guus pep. daniel ?
  80. pep. !
  81. Guus (apologies for lurking - I need to finish things while we meet)
  82. Nÿco https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/9etk-scam-2020-02-04-ytcdbzoctm
  83. Nÿco https://trello.com/b/xIiBUwGh/summits-conferences-and-meetups
  84. pep. I'm on my phone, not sure I can chair. let me see his much battery my laptop has left
  85. pep. yeah should be enough, one sec
  86. pep. !
  87. pep. Thanks Nÿco
  88. pep. Ok no up-to-date item in the trello board. What was proposed this morning?
  89. Nÿco SCAM-team meeting minutes 2020-02-04 Agenda: Events to be covered before (announce, promotion), during (live), after (report, minutes) Looping presentations for booths/stands Hex stickers: https://github.com/terinjokes/StickersStandard + https://sticker.how/ "What is XMPP/Why XMPP?" leaflet
  90. Guus com8 resigned, right? we should get him off of https://xmpp.org/about/xsf/scam-team and possibly bring it up as an AOB for the next Board meeting.
  91. pep. - Call for content - Propose leaflets
  92. pep. Ok let's start then
  93. pep. 1. Call for content
  94. Nÿco so we have SCAM content, great I love it it works, in a sense that people react quite positively and massively to it
  95. Nÿco awesome, congrats, and big thanks
  96. Nÿco I want to focus this time on the before and the during the event
  97. pep. I've seen indeed no coverage whatsoever during FOSDEM. You did send a tweet/toot before and that's nice
  98. Nÿco announcing properly beforehand as well as in live would be great
  99. pep. But compared to Matric we're amateurs :p
  100. pep. But compared to Matrix we're amateurs :p
  101. Nÿco New Vector is a company
  102. pep. I know..
  103. Nÿco no, I couldn't tweet live, because my laptop was used for display on the booth
  104. pep. That probably rejoins the idea of getting a community manager/marketing person?
  105. Nÿco definitely
  106. Guus Individual members did make a considerable amount of postings - but we should've done that through the official accounts, yess.
  107. Nÿco that means we spend money on such a person
  108. pep. Maybe something to discuss together with commteam?
  109. Nÿco but wait, we can do that ourselves, without a community manager
  110. Nÿco all items today are to be discussed with the CommTeam... so
  111. pep. Can we do a small "marketing" campain towards our own community?
  112. Nÿco > Individual members did make a considerable amount of postings - but we should've done that through the official accounts, yess. I beg to differ: there is an effort, but it is clearly largely insufficient
  113. Guus might be as simple as start finding an easy way to not forget this / enabling people?
  114. pep. Saying "hey we're looking for content"
  115. Nÿco > Can we do a small "marketing" campain towards our own community? Why? What for?
  116. Nÿco > might be as simple as start finding an easy way to not forget this / enabling people? what does that mean?
  117. Nÿco content is a question of discipline, commitment, not inspiration or motivation
  118. Nÿco habits, human automation, routine
  119. pep. Nÿco, not everybody has the same opinion on this :P
  120. Nÿco the bare minimum for each content is acceptable: done is better than perfect
  121. Nÿco > Nÿco, not everybody has the same opinion on this :P on what?
  122. pep. I've got a bunch of draft for my blog that are not finished because there's lots of things I don't know how to phrase, or my ideas are not yet clear on the subject, etc.
  123. pep. The "reports" I do for sprints are arguably a different type of article
  124. Nÿco > I've got a bunch of draft for my blog that are not finished because there's lots of things I don't know how to phrase, or my ideas are not yet clear on the subject, etc. give me that, I can help opening up help, because feedback, etc.
  125. Nÿco > The "reports" I do for sprints are arguably a different type of article an article is an article: content
  126. pep. Yes and no. Some articles are here to say "here's what we did", some others are here to say "here's a piece of opinion (that's possibly controversial)", articles can also be an intersection of both
  127. pep. But yes in any case I do want to encourage people writing
  128. Nÿco yes, so what?
  129. Nÿco that was my point: encourage
  130. Nÿco so we agree
  131. Guus Can we work to somewhat of a action point or conclusion for this agenda item? I fear we're otherwise just going to be talking in circles.
  132. pep. sure
  133. Guus what do we want/need to happen?
  134. Nÿco announcing events
  135. Nÿco live tweet
  136. pep. We want to encourage people to publish, right?
  137. Nÿco that's what I propose
  138. pep. Nÿco, ah only this?
  139. pep. I mean, "only"
  140. Nÿco >We want to encourage people to publish, right? yes > that was my point: encourage
  141. Nÿco > Nÿco, ah only this? > I mean, "only" yes, start with what we have, iterate, improve, learn
  142. Guus Okay - so let's work with comm team and iteam to get relevant people access to the relevant social media accounts, if they don't have it yet?
  143. Guus and: remind people before each major event.
  144. Nÿco live tweets, can even be scheduled beforehand
  145. Guus (I could have easily included it in the many pictures)
  146. Nÿco > Okay - so let's work with comm team and iteam to get relevant people access to the relevant social media accounts, if they don't have it yet? what for?
  147. pep. Maybe we can also ask for people to poke SCAM/commteam when they go to events
  148. Nÿco yes, announcing
  149. daniel has left
  150. pep. Should something just be published on the wiki? Or maybe we should write some article about it ourselves?
  151. Nÿco just announcing is cool if it is done before the newsletter goes out is even better, but more difficult
  152. Guus I'd otherwise would prefer commteam to take the lead in this though.
  153. Nÿco > Should something just be published on the wiki? wiki or not, a community planning can help, like agendadulibre in France > Or maybe we should write some article about it ourselves?
  154. Nÿco yes, short can do
  155. Nÿco > I'd otherwise would prefer commteam to take the lead in this though. no
  156. Nÿco an event is an event
  157. Nÿco the organisers know, and do
  158. pep. To me this comes back to commteam and SCAM should be the same, but I won't open this can right now
  159. pep. Anyway.. action points?
  160. pep. For us now
  161. Nÿco how do we encourage?
  162. Nÿco I'd say: tweet, and make a blog post, and tweet... and huh... tweet!
  163. pep. What I was asking above. Write a set of guidelines on the wiki / article on the website ?
  164. pep. tweet etc.
  165. Nÿco > What I was asking above. Write a set of guidelines on the wiki / article on the website ? like this? https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Basic_communication_guide_for_XMPP_techies
  166. Nÿco please modify as you see fit
  167. pep. Ok, so .. a blog article then on the website that we can tweet?
  168. pep. Ok, so .. a blog article then on the website that we can tweet about?
  169. Nÿco side note: I agree we should join forces between SCAM and comm, because why silo? we have not reach any critical mass so that segmentation becomes important
  170. Nÿco > Ok, so .. a blog article then on the website that we can tweet about? yeah, the problem is: the XSF members just don't retweet (maybe most just don't have an account)
  171. Nÿco but... star, lead by example
  172. Nÿco start*
  173. pep. Anybody to write this article? I'm not sure I can commit to this, or not just now
  174. Nÿco yeah, that
  175. Nÿco I'll do it
  176. pep. Ok. I can help/review etc. if necessary
  177. pep. 2. COM8
  178. pep. A quick one
  179. Nÿco I pu an item in the commteam board: https://trello.com/b/dkhCQCOE/commteam
  180. pep. I've added an item to the board agenda
  181. pep. Nÿco, thanks
  182. Nÿco > Ok. I can help/review etc. if necessary thx a lot give me your articles as well, this will definitely help
  183. pep. He asked to resign from SCAM because he doesn't have much time to invest and so he preferred to be removed
  184. Guus let's get him from the website, and inform board.
  185. Guus Don't think we need to do anything else?
  186. pep. I don't think so.
  187. pep. Side-note, shouldn't removal of members be a team thing?
  188. Nÿco thank him for hisinvolvment
  189. pep. Yes indeed
  190. Guus Sad to see him go, but I appreciate pulling out explicitly if you feel you're not available to contribute.
  191. pep. 3. Leaflets for events
  192. Nÿco yep: in LinuxFr.org, we discuss, ask if they wanna leave or stay, or leave and come back later
  193. Nÿco Matt expressed something about it
  194. pep. We didn't have anything for FOSDEM indeed. We might have been able to reuse what we had in Toulouse / POSS (that was in French but the original is english)
  195. pep. The thing is that obviously it's not neutral. And tbh nowadays I might want to prefer advertising a product line, if that's solutions we want to advertize..
  196. Guus I think that there's room for both
  197. Nÿco don't forget: https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/9etk-scam-2020-02-04-ytcdbzoctm
  198. pep. Or otherwise we have a "What is XMPP? What to do with it?" And .. something something not really helpful
  199. Guus I actually think that that could be useful - especially if combined with product line flyers/folders.
  200. pep. oops, laptop battery is going down.
  201. Guus I think half of the website could by copy/pasted in a flyer, to be honest.
  202. Nÿco Wait: Who's performing the "COM8 resignation" task?
  203. pep. I am
  204. Guus but it's a matter of finding someone that wants to spend the time.
  205. pep. I put it already for board
  206. Guus potential flyer: https://xmpp.org/about/myths.html
  207. Guus potential flyer: https://xmpp.org/about/technology-overview.html
  208. Guus potential flyer: https://xmpp.org/about/faq.html
  209. Nÿco excellent start
  210. Guus maybe leaflets, not flyers
  211. pep. yeah ok that can be used as flyers indeed
  212. Guus but could be largely copy/paste.
  213. pep. or that
  214. Nÿco we've all (re)introduced XMPP to many people this week-end: we're all able to create a draft text
  215. Guus (well I got reintroduced to my toilet, but I get what you mean 🙂 )
  216. Nÿco > but it's a matter of finding someone that wants to spend the time. I'll draft it as it hurts me since... ages we NEEEED that!
  217. pep. should we try to focus on that for a particular conference?
  218. MattJ "No offence, but XMPP is on its way out"
  219. pep. MattJ: :D
  220. Nÿco but warning: I am not a designer
  221. pep. yes of course
  222. pep. Nÿco: yeah neither am I
  223. Guus nyco: let me talk to a designer that I know
  224. Guus maybe he wants to do it
  225. Nÿco > nyco: let me talk to a designer that I know thanks
  226. Guus no promises though
  227. Nÿco > maybe he wants to do it but we still make the text, right?
  228. Nÿco I have two designers in mind as well
  229. Guus I'll for starters just ask him to grab stuff from the website.
  230. Nÿco ah
  231. Guus let's start easy. 🙂
  232. Nÿco that way?
  233. Guus we can always make it more complex, right?
  234. Nÿco the website content will be overwhelming for anyone new
  235. Nÿco that start is already too complex and exhaustive
  236. pep. Guus: Can we assign this to you? slow progress is probably fine for this? next big-ish conference we're trying to reach with Daniel is froscon
  237. Nÿco the elevator pitch that we all had this weekend is a better way to start, imho
  238. Guus Nyco: I think https://xmpp.org/about/faq.html would be very accessibel to most people, to be honest?
  239. pep. that's August
  240. Guus Nyco: I am all for creating _more_ content!
  241. Nÿco you don't introduce something by a FAQ, right?
  242. Guus don't let me going the easy route stop you 🙂
  243. Guus pep. sure
  244. Guus Nÿco I don't want to spend the time to come up with new content. I won't stop anyone from doing that, but I figure that we could at the very least start re-using the content that we already have.
  245. Nÿco understood you
  246. Guus if that gives us folders or leaflets or whatever, we already have more than we have now (which is: nothing)
  247. Guus if we can easily improve on that, all the better.
  248. Nÿco but that's TL;DR
  249. pep. do I see a resolution here? :)
  250. Nÿco “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey
  251. Guus Do you want me to put time in generating flyers from the website content or not? I frankly don't want to spend more time right now.
  252. Nÿco ok, do it :)
  253. pep. Guus: that's what I understood yeah
  254. Guus ok, will reach out and report back later.
  255. pep. thanks
  256. pep. ok I guess we're good?
  257. Nÿco no?
  258. pep. 5. AOB?
  259. Nÿco https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/9etk-scam-2020-02-04-ytcdbzoctm
  260. Nÿco Looping presentations for booths/stands
  261. Nÿco Hex stickers: https://github.com/terinjokes/StickersStandard + https://sticker.how/
  262. pep. Ah I didn't see these items.
  263. pep. Can you detail?
  264. pep. I thought we'd leave froscon stuff for later
  265. Nÿco Looping presentations for booths/stands that's a presentation that looping, that we display on stands at events this catches visitor eyes (or not), make him stay and ask questions and interact (or leave)
  266. Nÿco I drafted something, but it did not perform: websites screenshots
  267. Guus Looping presentations: awesome idea.
  268. Nÿco we could re-use the leaflet text and design here for consistency and homogeneity
  269. pep. ok just for the form, 6. Looping presentation
  270. Nÿco (could be in a presentation software or a video, btw)
  271. Guus I can _try_ if the designer that I had in mind can do all that in one go?
  272. Guus unsure if he's into doing multi-media type of tings.
  273. Nÿco excellent!
  274. Guus unsure if he's into doing multi-media type of things.
  275. pep. leaflets might be different right? possibly more text? but yes please do go ahead
  276. Guus Yeah, I agree, but when he's consuming the content... maybe he can do it at the same time?
  277. Nÿco if he/she can do graphics for print, then computer graphics is ok as well? we put all ourselves in LibreOffice or VLC
  278. Guus I really don't know much about these processes.
  279. Nÿco ?
  280. pep. Nÿco: I don't understand the bit about libreoffice or VLC sorry
  281. Nÿco presentation or video > (could be in a presentation software or a video, btw)
  282. pep. right ok
  283. Nÿco whatever the computer on the stand can do
  284. Nÿco and size/weight of the result
  285. pep. yeah whichever would work I guess. I don't want to bikeshed the format just now :p
  286. Nÿco warning on physical size/dimensions: probably an A4 format on paper, that we fold in three probably a 12, 13, 14, 15 inches display for the looping content
  287. Nÿco a designer knows better
  288. pep. hmm, I have to run away. (it's already 45mn into the meeting)
  289. Nÿco ok, thx bye
  290. pep. we have an action for this point right?
  291. Nÿco where should I sen the minutes? members@ ?
  292. Nÿco yes: https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/9etk-scam-2020-02-04-ytcdbzoctm
  293. pep. members + scam yeah
  294. Nÿco date of next?
  295. pep. if you want to address the last point I'll leave that to you otherwise we can close
  296. pep. next month first Tuesday
  297. pep. oh I won't be available.
  298. pep. unless we move the hour a but later
  299. Nÿco added: https://trello.com/c/WyC77x7I/13-designer-for-leaflet-and-looping-presentation-video
  300. pep. unless we move the hour a bit later
  301. pep. 5 or 6pm should do, otherwise I can skip. will give feedback on the list
  302. pep. that's March 3rd fwiw
  303. Nÿco added: https://trello.com/c/jLamYb3l/14-thank-and-remove-com8-from-scam
  304. pep. ok let's leave the datetimr as is.
  305. pep. Nÿco: thanks for the minutes
  306. pep. Closing nao.
  307. pep. (thanks all)
  308. Nÿco thx
  309. daniel has joined
  310. Guus Sorry, had to drop out for a bit. Thanks guys!
  311. Nÿco no pb
  312. Nÿco minutes sent
  313. Nÿco am I in the scam mailing list?
  314. Nÿco yes I am (nice talking to myself)
  315. pep. Nÿco: if you can, put the stickers idea on the agenda for next time? and start a discussion in the scam list?
  316. Guus as long as you don't argue with yourself... 😉
  317. pep. in general I think we shouldn't be addressing stuff over just 30-45mn a month but more over time :p
  318. Nÿco > Nÿco: if you can, put the stickers idea on the agenda for next time? and start a discussion in the scam list? that was already on the agenda: on this chat and on the pad I've added it to the board
  319. Nÿco > in general I think we shouldn't be addressing stuff over just 30-45mn a month but more over time :p a meeting is a moment of sharing, not actually working/productivity (well, this kind) so some tasks have to be advanced outside the time of those meetings
  320. pep. my thoughts regarding this are: taking time together is actually costly (finding a common timeslot etc.) and I'd better spend it trying to revolve potential conflicts or if really necessary. I find it easier to take 5mn here and there to write stuff, or develop ideas, on list. We can get ideas to develop on list until we reach consensus or clear pain points develop
  321. Nÿco sync is great
  322. pep. but not always possible. also we don't have any "decision process" here, not that it's really needed for now but some things like budget might require that. and for this it'd be nice not to exclude people who cannot make it for meetings :p
  323. pep. that's how current board works..
  324. Nÿco not always
  325. Nÿco decision process may be rough consensus of the participants, like we do largely in this community that kind of works
  326. pep. reading the stickers standard
  327. MattJ It's short and needs examples
  328. pep. I have some on my laptop already :p
  329. Guus > that's how current board works.. I disagree strongly, but don't have the time to elaborate
  330. pep. board only requires a majority of the quorum to pass things.
  331. pep. that's 2
  332. pep. and it's easy to miss a meeting and not be heard
  333. daniel has left
  334. daniel has joined
  335. daniel has left
  336. daniel has joined
  337. daniel has left
  338. daniel has joined
  339. daniel has left
  340. daniel has joined
  341. daniel has left
  342. daniel has joined
  343. daniel has left
  344. daniel has joined