XSF logo XSF Discussion - 2019-10-24


  1. mukt2 has left
  2. arc has left
  3. arc has joined
  4. mukt2 has joined
  5. aj has joined
  6. mukt2 has left
  7. mukt2 has joined
  8. pep. ralphm, https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/846 can this be added to the agenda. It should only be editor land it's a change in the schema but editors prefer to be on the safe side
  9. pep. (I couldn't add stuff on the trello board)
  10. wurstsalat has left
  11. mukt2 has left
  12. mukt2 has joined
  13. mukt2 has left
  14. mukt2 has joined
  15. Shell has left
  16. Shell has joined
  17. mukt2 has left
  18. mukt2 has joined
  19. mukt2 has left
  20. mukt2 has joined
  21. moparisthebest has left
  22. moparisthebest has joined
  23. mukt2 has left
  24. mukt2 has joined
  25. mukt2 has left
  26. pdurbin has joined
  27. Wojtek has left
  28. pdurbin has left
  29. mukt2 has joined
  30. mukt2 has left
  31. mukt2 has joined
  32. mukt2 has left
  33. mukt2 has joined
  34. mukt2 has left
  35. neshtaxmpp has left
  36. neshtaxmpp has joined
  37. mukt2 has joined
  38. mukt2 has left
  39. mukt2 has joined
  40. stpeter has left
  41. lskdjf has left
  42. mukt2 has left
  43. pdurbin has joined
  44. mukt2 has joined
  45. vanitasvitae has left
  46. vanitasvitae has joined
  47. mukt2 has left
  48. mukt2 has joined
  49. mukt2 has left
  50. mukt2 has joined
  51. adiaholic has joined
  52. matkor has left
  53. adiaholic has left
  54. adiaholic has joined
  55. mukt2 has left
  56. mukt2 has joined
  57. matkor has joined
  58. mukt2 has left
  59. mukt2 has joined
  60. Yagiza has joined
  61. andy has joined
  62. j.r has joined
  63. mukt2 has left
  64. mukt2 has joined
  65. waqas has joined
  66. mukt2 has left
  67. mukt2 has joined
  68. mukt2 has left
  69. mukt2 has joined
  70. Mikaela has joined
  71. Nekit has joined
  72. mukt2 has left
  73. mukt2 has joined
  74. xalek has left
  75. jubalh has joined
  76. waqas has left
  77. adiaholic has left
  78. Shell has left
  79. Tobias has joined
  80. pdurbin has left
  81. pdurbin has joined
  82. chronosx88 has joined
  83. LNJ has joined
  84. LNJ has left
  85. pdurbin has left
  86. adiaholic has joined
  87. adiaholic has left
  88. adiaholic has joined
  89. pdurbin has joined
  90. pdurbin has left
  91. pdurbin has joined
  92. ralphm Yeah, I don't think this requires a board vote. Please make it so.
  93. wurstsalat has joined
  94. mukt2 has left
  95. mukt2 has joined
  96. winfried has left
  97. winfried has joined
  98. karoshi has joined
  99. Daniel has left
  100. Daniel has joined
  101. Daniel has left
  102. Daniel has joined
  103. mukt2 has left
  104. mukt2 has joined
  105. mukt2 has left
  106. mukt2 has joined
  107. winfried has left
  108. winfried has joined
  109. mukt2 has left
  110. mukt2 has joined
  111. mathijs has left
  112. mathijs has joined
  113. Steve Kille has left
  114. mukt2 has left
  115. mukt2 has joined
  116. Steve Kille has joined
  117. jubalh has left
  118. adiaholic has left
  119. MattJ ralphm, I probably won't make the meeting later as I'll be travelling, but if I do it'll be mobile-only
  120. jabberjocke has left
  121. Seve ralphm, MattJ, I'm unfortunately in the same situation today :(
  122. adiaholic has joined
  123. mukt2 has left
  124. mukt2 has joined
  125. pdurbin has left
  126. ralphm Me too
  127. pdurbin has joined
  128. moparisthebest has left
  129. mukt2 has left
  130. mukt2 has joined
  131. Guus Nyco and me will hold the fortress!
  132. jubalh has joined
  133. Daniel Can Board follow up on the financial report? Apparently this was discussed at the end of last month (no minutes from that meeting and I was driving at the time) but never acted upon?
  134. jabberjocke has joined
  135. Guus Daniel yes. It's still on our agenda.
  136. Guus from what I recall, we ended up debating if we'd like Peter to provide data from past years.
  137. Guus chat log here: https://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2019-09-26?p=h#2019-09-26-ae8c71a4f222d202
  138. COM8 has joined
  139. Daniel From the looks of it there hasn't been a real conclusion and to my knowledge it hasn't been brought up again at other meetings. (despite 'still being on the agenda') - can I ask for it to be put on the real agenda?
  140. Daniel If Board wants my input publishing current data (2018) is fine for now. And if it looks fishy people can ask for more?
  141. Guus It did not ever leave the agenda - it has been on my mind every meeting, but we simply didn't get around to doing it. One thing that I noted in the last meeting was that I think it'd be good to find a way to be more efficient in those meetings.
  142. Daniel If he really has that stuff on paper publishing all of it seems a bit much. If it were just upload uploading some spreadsheet I'd be with you in asking for all of it
  143. Guus Daniel I'm curious why you bring this up. I have no problem with us releasing this information, but I personally have little interest in it (other than that I'd want to prevent us from being regarded as secretive / non-open). What's your motivation?
  144. Daniel I brought it up *now* because today is board meeting and I had a minute of spare time to ask for it. It has been on my mind for a bit longer. I (as a scam member) would start to spend some money and I would like to see how much money we have, how much new money is coming in and what things we spend money on in the past. Just to get a grasp on what kind of money I'd be OK asking for
  145. Daniel I've also heard rumors that we are not very good at actually collecting money from our sponsors
  146. Daniel (sending invoices)
  147. Daniel *would like to start spending
  148. Guus Daniel for SCAM, there's a yearly budget of 1000 USD that we can spend.
  149. Daniel Right. I have however no grasp if this is a fair amount
  150. Daniel Like what part of the annual budget is that
  151. Guus and yes, we've dropped the ball on doing invoicing / contacting sponsors in the past. That has even been discussed in this room, nothing about that is 'rumor' as far as I know. πŸ™‚
  152. Guus Fair questions.
  153. Guus Like I said, the financial reporting never was on a backburner, even if we didn't get around to handle it in the last few meetings.
  154. COM8 has left
  155. mukt2 has left
  156. mukt2 has joined
  157. Guus as for SCAM's budget - I'm not sure if we can, or should, qualify 'fair'. I'd have to check, but I think we've not spent any of that budget this year
  158. Guus (maybe some around the summit/fosdem, but that might also have come from last years budget)
  159. Guus so maybe it's more a question of: what do you want to do with the budget?
  160. Guus (And if we want to spend more than the budget, we can take that to board)
  161. pep. Guus, Daniel and I didn't know about it until not so long ago :p
  162. Guus "it" ?
  163. pep. The budget
  164. pep. SCAM's
  165. Guus Ok. Well, there is. πŸ™‚
  166. Guus I've mentioned it just now in the SCAM MUC
  167. Daniel (discussing this here so other non scam people can see this as well)
  168. Daniel Yeah I've known about the scam budget for a couple of months /weeks now. That's fine
  169. tekohax has joined
  170. Daniel I could imagine myself asking scam to pay for sprint venues. We don't always have hacker spaces or something in the cities we want to do sprints in. And/or hackerspaces are not always ideal locations for reasons. Now if I were to ask for rent that can very quickly exceed the budget of 1k. However before I do I just want to know how much money for example 1k rent for 3 days is to the xsf
  171. tekohax has left
  172. Daniel And then decide if I can justify asking for that
  173. Guus fwiw, the SCAM budget was requested as a means to not have to go to board for every expense, which (as you've found) can take a long time. It was not intended as any kind of hard limit that SCAM could spend.
  174. larma has left
  175. Daniel Yeah I see the scam budget paying for day to day items such as merch and drinks at sprints
  176. Guus us wanting to spend numbers like that does warrant board involvement, I think.
  177. Daniel But not for the entire sprint
  178. Guus right
  179. Daniel That's fine asking board
  180. Daniel I just don't know if it is a reasonable ask
  181. Guus but I understand your motivation to see the board financials.
  182. aj has left
  183. Daniel And also even if Board decides people need to be able to understand the decision making
  184. Kev I'd think of it in terms of the Summit, which is the most important XSF-arranged event of the year, which we usually try to get sponsorship for all of and the budget comes in at less than that much usually (I think).
  185. Kev So I'd have thought there'd need to be a strong argument for why it was valuable to the XSF for spending that sort of amount.
  186. Guus It'd be nice to decouple budget from one important event - as such coupling makes it harder for other important events to be developed.
  187. Kev My point is that if we try to avoid spending much on the most important event we arrange, spending more on other events would need some significant justification. In my view.
  188. Guus Kev, there's an argument to be made that the sprints serve a good purpose - but I agree that for much money to be spend, we need to discuss that further.
  189. pep. Also, we can do many more events :)
  190. pep. We just don't have any idea if financials would even allow for this
  191. Kev They wouldn't, I think. We don't bring in that much from sponsorship, unless things have changed since I last remember.
  192. pep. I agree about all what Daniel said above fwiw
  193. pep. Kev: the issue is not that you think it would or not
  194. larma has joined
  195. Guus I understand that people want to have the numbers to form their own opinion.
  196. Guus also, that might be a motivation to more actively attract funds.
  197. pep. Yes
  198. pep. To both
  199. mukt2 has left
  200. mukt2 has joined
  201. Guus Kev also, I'm not sure if we are trying to 'avoid spending' money on the Summit, other than that we're careful to not overspend / overindulge, as we recognize that we depend greatly on donations of others?
  202. Seve To let money out, you want to make sure money will be comming in.
  203. Kev We seem to put a lot of emphasis on needing people to sponsor the room, the lunch, the dinner each year.
  204. karoshi has left
  205. karoshi has joined
  206. Kev I think it might be hard to justify asking for all that sponsorship for the Summit, if the XSF is giving out significant amounts to run other, less well attended and core, events.
  207. Guus Kev I'm seeing that as us resorting to measures as we're doing a poor job of getting 'regular' / year round sponsors.
  208. Kev Yes, I agree with that.
  209. Guus Kev right, now I see your point
  210. Guus and I agree.
  211. Kev If we had buckets of cash, arranging more 'minor' events would seem like a good use of it. We just don't.
  212. Guus Opening the financials might allow others to come to the same conclusion.
  213. Guus (I almost typed 'collusion' there, I'm following the US news to closely)
  214. pep. Kev: even if that might be true, that's not an argument against revealing financials
  215. Kev No, which is why I didn't understand why Board were putting roadblocks in the way of doing so.
  216. Guus I don't think he ever made the argument to not reveal financials Pep?
  217. Guus I don't think board is putting in roadblocks, other than that they're slow to come to a conclusion
  218. pep. Guus: ah ok that's how I understood it
  219. Kev I thought "Oh, we can't just release them from now on, we have to keep them hidden until we can release a full history" was where it was.
  220. Kev Which I think is pointless.
  221. Guus we're basically debating: "should we release financials for the current year only, or also venture further down in the financial history?"
  222. Guus None in board argued to keep things hidden
  223. pep. I'd like to have the full history in the long run, but I'm happy with the current year as a start, better than nothing and that can already help
  224. Guus board being ineffective to come to a decision on wether to release current year only, or more history might have perceived as such. But, to be fair to board, I think they only discussed it once, in a meeting that was already running over time.
  225. mukt2 has left
  226. mukt2 has joined
  227. Daniel we seem to have at least 3 platinum sponsors? (given they have 'a page on the xsf') site. that's 30k
  228. Daniel that doesn’t seem like we are super tight on cash
  229. Daniel unless i don’t understand how expensive the summit is
  230. mathijs has left
  231. mathijs has joined
  232. Daniel which is why i would like to the the numbers at least for one year
  233. Guus more reasons to disclose those financials.
  234. Daniel i don’t distrust people or anything. that's why for me 2018 would be fine
  235. Daniel because i reckon all years will be similar
  236. Guus I'll try to push board to address this in todays meeting, but as you might have read, at least three members are, at best, attending from mobile devices.
  237. Daniel also we have another 2-4k coming in from gsco?
  238. winfried has left
  239. winfried has joined
  240. Mikaela has left
  241. Guus Unsure - I don't wnat to speculate.
  242. Guus instead, I'll try to facilitate board coming to a conclusion on the publication of financials.
  243. jubalh has left
  244. Daniel > Unsure - I don't wnat to speculate. Of course. Me neither. But that's what people will do if they can do quick math on one hand with the sponsors that are visible on the page and on the other hand have Kev saying that we don't even have enough money to pay for summit. But yes thank you Guus for following up with board on that
  245. Guus I think I have not disagreed with anyone here, other than that i don't believe that board is putting up hurdles for making financials public, other than that they're slow to come to a conclusion on this.
  246. Mikaela has joined
  247. Guus (Disclaimer for the log files: I currently serve on the Board)
  248. Kev Ok, I'm sorry if I was being unfair with the barriers comment.
  249. Kev It seemed to me there was a trivial decision to make (release for now on) that could be +1d in seconds, and then a more complicated second question that didn't need to block the first of asking Peter to reconstruct past records.
  250. pdurbin has left
  251. winfried has left
  252. winfried has joined
  253. Guus Kev, I think board didn't do an efficient job in discussing the topic, which bogged down everything. We should simply kick it in gear again, and finish the one discussion that we had, be done with it.
  254. Guus And I can understand how inactivity is easily misjudged as 'putting up hurdles'
  255. pdurbin has joined
  256. edhelas https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=113dde3cc7ce7284&tk=1dnufmkih40kn801&from=serp&vjs=3
  257. edhelas Facebook Portal is built using XMPP ?!
  258. edhelas ah no it's in the prefered qualifications
  259. jubalh has joined
  260. winfried has left
  261. winfried has joined
  262. mukt2 has left
  263. mukt2 has joined
  264. pdurbin has left
  265. pdurbin has joined
  266. winfried has left
  267. winfried has joined
  268. debacle has joined
  269. mukt2 has left
  270. jubalh has left
  271. jubalh has joined
  272. Alex has left
  273. pdurbin has left
  274. Mikaela has left
  275. Alex has joined
  276. adiaholic has left
  277. adiaholic has joined
  278. mukt2 has joined
  279. winfried has left
  280. winfried has joined
  281. pdurbin has joined
  282. LNJ has joined
  283. adiaholic has left
  284. pdurbin has left
  285. pdurbin has joined
  286. winfried has left
  287. winfried has joined
  288. mukt2 has left
  289. winfried has left
  290. winfried has joined
  291. mukt2 has joined
  292. pep. Maybe we could ask them officially to disclaim and, oh and also drop a few dollars :-Β°
  293. Guus pep. go for it
  294. pep. I mean "The XSF"
  295. Guus The XSF isn't a magical entity that out of itself produces questions πŸ˜ƒ
  296. jubalh has left
  297. pep. too bad
  298. Guus do you want to draft something, maybe find a lead that we can contact?
  299. winfried has left
  300. winfried has joined
  301. lskdjf has joined
  302. pep. I have unfortunately very little writing/communications skills (if it wasn't obvious enough will all I write here) :x
  303. pep. Unless you're happy with my sentence above
  304. adiaholic has joined
  305. Guus Very happy.
  306. pep. "Hey facebook. Give us monies"
  307. winfried has left
  308. winfried has joined
  309. Guus Excellent. Now please find the right person at Facebook to send this to.
  310. pep. support@
  311. Guus We then have a concrete proposal, that the XSF can debate/improve upon.
  312. pep. postmaster@
  313. pep. looking for something, but I doubt this kind of information is publicly displayed anyway.
  314. pep. Having connections would certainly help a bit here
  315. Guus My first feedback would be: "it's my estimation that this proposal has little chance of success. Please improve it before sending it" πŸ˜‰
  316. mukt2 has left
  317. pep. That I could have guessed myself :)
  318. Maranda has left
  319. Maranda has joined
  320. goffi has joined
  321. pep. Can we not get somebody to do that? As in, we have money, can we not spend money to get more money? That's usually how it works right.
  322. pep. We still need to find a point of contact. How many members do we have, they can be useful sometimes, maybe somebody knows something or someone that knows someone else
  323. pdurbin has left
  324. winfried has left
  325. winfried has joined
  326. pdurbin has joined
  327. jubalh has joined
  328. Guus https://xmpp.org/about/xsf/members.html
  329. mukt2 has joined
  330. pep. That was rhetorical
  331. winfried has left
  332. winfried has joined
  333. winfried has left
  334. winfried has joined
  335. pdurbin has left
  336. chronosx88 has left
  337. pdurbin has joined
  338. chronosx88 has joined
  339. adiaholic has left
  340. vanitasvitae has left
  341. vanitasvitae has joined
  342. chronosx88 has left
  343. chronosx88 has joined
  344. winfried has left
  345. winfried has joined
  346. pdurbin has left
  347. jubalh has left
  348. pdurbin has joined
  349. winfried has left
  350. winfried has joined
  351. mukt2 has left
  352. winfried has left
  353. winfried has joined
  354. mukt2 has joined
  355. jubalh has joined
  356. winfried has left
  357. winfried has joined
  358. lskdjf > we've dropped the ball on doing invoicing / contacting sponsors in the past. Guus, I'd be interested in the extend to which this happened. Also, are there plans to still invoice the amount or has that already been done? To my (little) understanding of contracts, those companies would still legally be required to pay and the XSF already did their part (displaying the companies as sponsors)
  359. winfried has left
  360. winfried has joined
  361. Guus I don't know exactly. Also, I don't think we should pressurize companies in paying things after we slipped up. That's likely to ensure no future sponsorships will happen.
  362. mukt2 has left
  363. larma Guus, if they are not paying, what are the sponsors good for?
  364. Guus from what I understand, it's us not invoicing some of them, not them not paying invoices
  365. Guus Also, this was quite a while ago, and was addressed.
  366. adiaholic has joined
  367. mukt2 has joined
  368. pdurbin has left
  369. jubalh has left
  370. larma So those that were not invoiced in the past are invoiced now? Didn't they ask why there were not invoiced before? Was that an actual board decision to not invoice them delayed or just continued laziness?
  371. winfried has left
  372. Guus From what I recall, this involved sponsors where it was ambiguous if they'd silently extended their sponsorship with another year. Since this became known, we've purged the list of sponsors. Those that are still a sponsor, are invoiced. To my knowledge, there's no issue with payment.
  373. Guus (I've not actually checked the latter, but I have no indications that something is amiss in that respect)
  374. winfried has joined
  375. pdurbin has joined
  376. jubalh has joined
  377. larma So the actual problem wasn't sponsors not being invoiced but sponsors not being removed from the sponsor list after they were no longer a sponsor?
  378. Guus a bit of both, probably.
  379. jubalh has left
  380. jubalh has joined
  381. Guus If we'd engaged them, they might have remained a sponsor for a few more years. SOme of the sponsors that we removed ceased to exist, so there's no point in following up with them.
  382. Guus (as in, company out of business)
  383. winfried has left
  384. winfried has joined
  385. adiaholic has left
  386. larma makes sense πŸ™‚
  387. winfried has left
  388. winfried has joined
  389. pdurbin has left
  390. eevvoor has joined
  391. pdurbin has joined
  392. jubalh has left
  393. larma Guus, looking through archives: ProcessOne is a sponsor since 2015 (excluding May-July 2019), Tigase since end of 2016. Both of them seemingly expressed they want to be a sponsor in 2019. Was any of the two not invoiced for their sponsorship since they began being a sponsor (2015 or 2016 respectively)?
  394. stpeter has joined
  395. winfried has left
  396. winfried has joined
  397. Mikaela has joined
  398. adiaholic has joined
  399. winfried has left
  400. winfried has joined
  401. stpeter has left
  402. pdurbin has left
  403. pdurbin has joined
  404. pdurbin has left
  405. Chobbes has joined
  406. pdurbin has joined
  407. winfried has left
  408. winfried has joined
  409. winfried has left
  410. winfried has joined
  411. emus has left
  412. pdurbin has left
  413. Mikaela has left
  414. Mikaela has joined
  415. Guus I don't know the details, not can I immediately find out.
  416. jubalh has joined
  417. mukt2 has left
  418. mukt2 has joined
  419. moparisthebest has joined
  420. winfried has left
  421. winfried has joined
  422. pdurbin has joined
  423. winfried has left
  424. winfried has joined
  425. winfried has left
  426. winfried has joined
  427. pdurbin has left
  428. pdurbin has joined
  429. jubalh has left
  430. mathijs has left
  431. mathijs has joined
  432. winfried has left
  433. winfried has joined
  434. jubalh has joined
  435. stpeter has joined
  436. nyco has joined
  437. Chobbes has left
  438. Seve πŸ˜ƒ
  439. Guus hello!
  440. nyco Board?
  441. Guus Board meeting time
  442. Guus I'm seeing three
  443. Seve πŸ‘†βœŒ
  444. Guus this morning, several people warned that they'd be on mobile, at best.
  445. MattJ o/
  446. nyco I'm on a customer meeting, I'll follow with difficulties
  447. Guus bangs gavel
  448. Guus Welcome at this edition of the XSF Board weekly meeting.
  449. Guus as usual, the agenda is driven by what's on our Trello board: https://trello.com/b/Dn6IQOu0/board-meetings
  450. nyco Previoulsy on "Board Meetings"... :)
  451. Guus 1. Role call
  452. Seve :D
  453. Seve Greetings 🎩
  454. pdurbin has left
  455. Guus I've seen everyone but ralphm (who this morning warned that he might not be available)
  456. Guus mentioning him in the hope he'll pop in...
  457. Guus While we wait: does anyone want to add something to the agenda?
  458. Seve Not me, thank you
  459. MattJ Nor me
  460. Guus This morning, I've emailed about one of the items (financials) - I'd suggest we discuss that first.
  461. nyco I couldn't find time to read the thread, sorry
  462. pdurbin has joined
  463. Guus 2. Minute taker
  464. Guus Would someone from the floor be so kind as to compose minutes?
  465. Guus ah, i forgot: last time, we discussed doing this live-ish, right?
  466. Guus as most of us are either on mobile, or busy, I"m thinking that's not feasible today?
  467. nyco right, I will propose a process, plus the tools for this
  468. Guus so for today, we could really use a minute taker, to not have to depend on chat logs
  469. nyco agree, mostly desktop solution
  470. Guus eyes the room
  471. Seve Today is not a good day for that due to mobiles :) but we can draft something out together after, checking the logs
  472. Shell has joined
  473. Guus sadly, no volunteers. If someone would like to do this retroactively, please.
  474. Guus In the interest of time, I'm continuing.
  475. Guus 3. Publicize XSF Financials.
  476. MattJ +1 ;)
  477. Guus Does someone want to comment on my earlier email?
  478. Seve > +1 ;) Nice
  479. nyco I'll read the thread before voting
  480. MattJ As you and Seve already observed, we were all already in agreement about publication
  481. nyco off meeting
  482. MattJ There was just the matter of whether we would ask Peter to go through his paper archives for historical stuff
  483. pdurbin has left
  484. Guus Ok, I motion that we ask our Treasurer to make prepare for publication of a summary of XSF financials, to be published on the XMPP.org website, for the current fiscal year, as well as future years.
  485. MattJ +1
  486. Seve +1
  487. Guus +1
  488. pdurbin has joined
  489. winfried has left
  490. winfried has joined
  491. stpeter Yep, I can do that.
  492. Guus I will - right, stpeter has been informed πŸ™‚
  493. MattJ :)
  494. stpeter It will take me a few weeks, though.
  495. Guus while we have you - there was a debate last time, that revolved around us asking you to do this for past years
  496. Guus I don't think anyone expects this overnight, I'm fine with a few weeks (for the most recent data only)
  497. stpeter The past years can be done, too. We once had this information on the website (several websites ago!), so the wayback machine could perhaps help us. But in any case I have all the information, I just need to compile it again.
  498. Guus There was an argument where people felt it unfair/unneeded to do this for past years, while others (well, me), suggested that it'd be helpful to have, and well, since you offered...
  499. Guus Is the amount of work involved significantly more, after you did the first year?
  500. Guus alternatively, we could circle back to this after you did the the most recent stuff only
  501. Daniel If you decide to publish all can we prioritize 2018+current over 20 years of history
  502. winfried has left
  503. winfried has joined
  504. Guus I've seen history on the website before, so I'm assuming that a large part of it is simply scraping old data?
  505. Guus (others, like myself, can help with that)
  506. Guus stpeter ?
  507. jubalh has left
  508. Guus We might have lost him. I think we can agree to have at least the most recent data. Let's circle back to having historical data too in a future meeting.
  509. stpeter I'm not sure where on the site we used to have this information. It's possible I have it all on my computer, but I don't have time to look right now because I need to take my wife to the airport soon.
  510. stpeter (By "all" I mean the earlier years - there will be a gap in the middle there somewhere.)
  511. stpeter But prioritizing recent years makes sense.
  512. Guus understood. If we can at least a commitment that somewhere in the next few weeks we'll publish the most recent data, that'd be good.
  513. stpeter Sure thing!
  514. Guus I'll take anything else as a bonus. I'd be happy to help you scrape stuff
  515. Guus Safe travels to your wife.
  516. stpeter I'll visit the wayback machine over the weekend.
  517. waqas has joined
  518. Guus thanks!
  519. Guus 4. Commitment for weeks ahead: Review of Roadmap page
  520. Guus Ralphs icon is with that, on Trello
  521. Guus We discussed this earlier, but I'm unsure what the current state or action is
  522. jubalh has joined
  523. Guus crickets.
  524. waqas has left
  525. stpeter (We might also have the relevant files on an XSF machine, will check there too.)
  526. waqas has joined
  527. Guus let's park this for when Ralph is back
  528. Seve Ralph mentioned he would work on a list of possible topics for the Roadmap
  529. Guus 5. Call for action: find candidates for the upcoming elections
  530. Shell has left
  531. Guus Did we send out stuff through our comm channels?
  532. Chobbes has joined
  533. Guus I've not seen anything, but I've been away for a few days too.
  534. Seve I'm not aware, apart from the emails sent out by Alex
  535. Guus nyco do you happen to know?
  536. Guus Alas, we lost him to that meeting he warned us about
  537. emus has joined
  538. Guus Does anyone have concrete plans to address this?
  539. Guus Have people in mind?
  540. Guus The current list of candidates is short: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Board_and_Council_Elections_2019
  541. Guus Especially for board
  542. Guus err, council, sorry.
  543. Seve I don't know of any person that could fit or be interested
  544. Seve We can tweet about it
  545. Guus Shall we draft an open invitation to be posted on our blog, and/or twitter?
  546. MattJ sgtm
  547. MattJ It would also make it easier for those of us in the community to link potential candidates to
  548. MattJ (which implies it would be good for such a post to have an overview of responsibilities)
  549. Guus Yeah. We could take Alex's default text as a template - I'd love to expand on it a little though
  550. Guus Yeah, that sounds good MattJ
  551. Guus Does anyone have a concrete text in mind, or shall I draft a suggestion?
  552. MattJ I don't, but happy to review a draft
  553. mukt2 has left
  554. Guus ok
  555. Guus As it's time
  556. Guus 6 AOB
  557. Guus Anyone?
  558. Seve None
  559. MattJ None
  560. Guus If I'm not mistaking, DST switchover is upon us, this weekend. Board members are all in the same switchover region, but others might be affected
  561. Guus (just in case you're in the US and REALLY want to be here for the next meeting?)
  562. Guus 7. Date/Time of next
  563. Guus +1w
  564. Seve All good!
  565. Guus <the end>
  566. Guus bangs gavel
  567. Guus Thanks
  568. MattJ Thanks Guus
  569. Seve Thank you Guus
  570. Shell has joined
  571. winfried has left
  572. winfried has joined
  573. winfried has left
  574. winfried has joined
  575. jubalh has left
  576. Chobbes has left
  577. jubalh has joined
  578. pdurbin has left
  579. mukt2 has joined
  580. neshtaxmpp has left
  581. neshtaxmpp has joined
  582. Andrew Nenakhov has joined
  583. Guus MattJ draft sent by mail
  584. Guus MattJ _rough_ draft sent by mail
  585. Andrew Nenakhov has left
  586. pep. > Guus> This morning, I've emailed about one of the items (financials) - I'd suggest we discuss that first. on board@ that's not public?
  587. MattJ Correct
  588. Shell has left
  589. Shell has joined
  590. MattJ I don't believe it contained anything that wasn't discussed in the room today or in previous meetings
  591. mukt2 has left
  592. mukt2 has joined
  593. stpeter has left
  594. Shell has left
  595. mukt2 has left
  596. mukt2 has joined
  597. larma financial summary 2001-mid 2008: https://web.archive.org/web/20150315021548/http://xmpp.org/about-xmpp/xsf/xsf-financial-summary/
  598. stpeter has joined
  599. Guus Thanks larma / ping stpeter
  600. stpeter larma: thanks for that!
  601. pep. stpeter, "(By "all" I mean the earlier years - there will be a gap in the middle there somewhere.)"
  602. pep. What did this mean
  603. pep. (I'm compiling minutes)
  604. Guus Thanks pep.
  605. Guus I read that as that he might have all data that he compiled earlier still on his computer somehwere, but that he didn't compile data from all available rough data
  606. stpeter We have records for the early years. I will create financial summaries for the recent years, starting from 2019, but I will need to fill in 2008-2018 because https://web.archive.org/web/20150315021548/http://xmpp.org/about-xmpp/xsf/xsf-financial-summary/ indicates that I last did this in 2008.
  607. stpeter (Well, we have *records* for all the years, but they're in a fireproof safe at my house.)
  608. pep. stpeter, I see
  609. pep. So it'll just take time but data is present
  610. pep. somewhere
  611. stpeter Yes, the data just needs to be compiled - i.e., I need to look at all the expense reports and add things up. Not that hard.
  612. pep. k
  613. stpeter OK, now I actually need to go, I will check in later.
  614. pdurbin has joined
  615. jubalh has left
  616. jubalh has joined
  617. mukt2 has left
  618. pdurbin has left
  619. mukt2 has joined
  620. pdurbin has joined
  621. pep. Minutes sent.
  622. pdurbin has left
  623. mukt2 has left
  624. mukt2 has joined
  625. pdurbin has joined
  626. Chobbes has joined
  627. adiaholic has left
  628. Chobbes has left
  629. pdurbin has left
  630. pdurbin has joined
  631. winfried has left
  632. winfried has joined
  633. Chobbes has joined
  634. adiaholic has joined
  635. Guus https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/626
  636. pep. "only a few hours a week" hmm maybe this should be removed
  637. pdurbin has left
  638. winfried has left
  639. winfried has joined
  640. winfried has left
  641. winfried has joined
  642. Guus I'm out for the day
  643. Guus Or at least a couple of hours
  644. Guus Please leave comments in the PR
  645. pep. k
  646. stpeter has left
  647. mukt2 has left
  648. winfried has left
  649. winfried has joined
  650. jubalh has left
  651. adiaholic has left
  652. pdurbin has joined
  653. Chobbes has left
  654. Chobbes has joined
  655. Chobbes has left
  656. Chobbes has joined
  657. j.r has left
  658. winfried has left
  659. winfried has joined
  660. Chobbes has left
  661. Chobbes has joined
  662. mukt2 has joined
  663. adiaholic has joined
  664. Chobbes has left
  665. jabberjocke has left
  666. Chobbes has joined
  667. arc has left
  668. arc has joined
  669. j.r has joined
  670. emus has left
  671. pdurbin has left
  672. pdurbin has joined
  673. jabberjocke has joined
  674. Chobbes has left
  675. Wojtek has joined
  676. jubalh has joined
  677. eevvoor has left
  678. eevvoor has joined
  679. Chobbes has joined
  680. pdurbin has left
  681. matkor has left
  682. matkor has joined
  683. pdurbin has joined
  684. Vanessa has joined
  685. Vanessa has left
  686. eevvoor has left
  687. eevvoor has joined
  688. UαΉ£L has joined
  689. stpeter has joined
  690. mimi89999 has left
  691. arc has left
  692. arc has joined
  693. eevvoor has left
  694. jubalh has left
  695. pdurbin has left
  696. jubalh has joined
  697. mimi89999 has joined
  698. mathijs has left
  699. mathijs has joined
  700. adiaholic has left
  701. !XSF_Martin has left
  702. !XSF_Martin has joined
  703. pdurbin has joined
  704. Chobbes has left
  705. stpeter has left
  706. adiaholic has joined
  707. lovetox has joined
  708. pdurbin has left
  709. pdurbin has joined
  710. mathijs has left
  711. mathijs has joined
  712. Steve Kille has left
  713. adiaholic has left
  714. Steve Kille has joined
  715. pdurbin has left
  716. pdurbin has joined
  717. lovetox has left
  718. mathijs has left
  719. mathijs has joined
  720. adiaholic has joined
  721. mathijs has left
  722. mathijs has joined
  723. mukt2 has left
  724. mathijs has left
  725. mathijs has joined
  726. chronosx88 has left
  727. pdurbin has left
  728. chronosx88 has joined
  729. pdurbin has joined
  730. mathijs has left
  731. mathijs has joined
  732. mukt2 has joined
  733. pdurbin has left
  734. pdurbin has joined
  735. Dele (Mobile) has left
  736. mukt2 has left
  737. lovetox has joined
  738. waqas has left
  739. adiaholic has left
  740. mukt2 has joined
  741. Douglas Terabyte has left
  742. mathijs has left
  743. mathijs has joined
  744. mathijs has left
  745. mathijs has joined
  746. mathijs has left
  747. mathijs has joined
  748. mathijs has left
  749. mathijs has joined
  750. jubalh has left
  751. adiaholic has joined
  752. mukt2 has left
  753. pdurbin has left
  754. mukt2 has joined
  755. karoshi has left
  756. pdurbin has joined
  757. karoshi has joined
  758. emus has joined
  759. mathijs has left
  760. mathijs has joined
  761. mukt2 has left
  762. mukt2 has joined
  763. Maranda has left
  764. Maranda has joined
  765. mathijs has left
  766. mathijs has joined
  767. Nekit has left
  768. pdurbin has left
  769. pdurbin has joined
  770. mathijs has left
  771. mathijs has joined
  772. Douglas Terabyte has joined
  773. debacle has left
  774. pdurbin has left
  775. pdurbin has joined
  776. andrey.g has left
  777. mathijs has left
  778. mathijs has joined
  779. Yagiza has left
  780. mathijs has left
  781. mathijs has joined
  782. pdurbin has left
  783. mathijs has left
  784. mathijs has joined
  785. pdurbin has joined
  786. pdurbin has left
  787. mathijs has left
  788. mathijs has joined
  789. pdurbin has joined
  790. mathijs has left
  791. mathijs has joined
  792. j.r has left
  793. j.r has joined
  794. xalek has joined
  795. pdurbin has left
  796. pdurbin has joined
  797. MattJ What types of invites do clients currently use with MUC? Do any clients do direct invitations?
  798. j.r has left
  799. flow larma, FYI, we already depend on the unicode standard for our wire format, see also the most recent discussion at the IETF's XMPP WG mailing list
  800. flow also, I think that if you go for bytes or codepoints than sender (and ideally also recipient) should normalize the unicode string frist
  801. pdurbin has left
  802. Dele (Mobile) has joined
  803. lovetox yes gajim in some circumstances
  804. stpeter has joined
  805. Zash MattJ: I found a handful of mediated invites in my archive, no direct.
  806. lovetox about the sticker discussion
  807. lovetox byte seems very weird, i have to decode the stanza from the wire
  808. lovetox then get the body data
  809. lovetox then reencode it? split it up into parts
  810. Zash I (posted to the list that I) would go for codepoints.
  811. lovetox decode the single parts again
  812. mukt2 has left
  813. Zash Everything except JavaScript should be able to deal with that.
  814. pdurbin has joined
  815. mukt2 has joined
  816. Zash Wait, what
  817. Zash Those were using XEP-0249 syntax but were sent from MUCs
  818. lovetox also whole discussion sounds like someone *wants* to find problems
  819. Zash Human language is complicated.
  820. flow Human is complicated
  821. jubalh has joined
  822. lovetox lets just use codepoints and be finished with it, and questions like what if a graphem consists of mutliple codepoints and reference links into it
  823. lovetox yeah what then? nothing then, i apply bold to that and if what comes out is garbage
  824. lovetox i open a issue with the client that sent me that garbage
  825. lovetox but thats about it
  826. Zash yeah
  827. Zash Bugs will probably happen regardless
  828. flow I am undecided between codepoints and extended grapheme clusters, but I believe that if we use codepoints we should normalize the strings
  829. Zash Alternatively, pick a magic marker code point and replace that.
  830. flow cause otherwhise the codepoints may be different. Although this may be unlikely, I wouldn't risk it and I believe most platforms provide unicode normalization APIs, so it should be easy
  831. Zash or bring back xhtml-im and use <img>
  832. j.r has joined
  833. flow the rumors that xhtml-im is gone and needs to be brought back are exaggerated ;)
  834. Zash `git revert 48593ca5b8659553c02ce7b9e12fa7660436d9bc 4c5db548251a91d8e6c55b1add84f92765d172a3` and pretend nothing happened
  835. andrey.g has joined
  836. stpeter has left
  837. pdurbin has left
  838. pdurbin has joined
  839. mukt2 has left
  840. LNJ has left
  841. pdurbin has left
  842. pdurbin has joined
  843. jubalh has left
  844. Shell has joined
  845. Nekit has joined
  846. Maranda has left
  847. Maranda has joined
  848. pdurbin has left
  849. pdurbin has joined
  850. larma flow, I don't think the IETF mailing list issue is a real issue. Basically it says: PRECIS doesn't define the Unicode version to be used, so we are fucked. It's true that this is an issue in the standard, but also it shouldn't really matter in practice as long as you follow the rule of being strict on what you control and liberal what others send you. The issue of counting characters is much more imminent and will have real impact if not handled properly *now*. People are already using markup/reference XEP and do basically random stuff when there is bodys multi codepoint graphemes in place. Regarding normalizing: Clients probably should normalize before sending (and before determining markup/reference positions), however normalizing is Unicode version specific behavior, so a second normalizing by a different entity (using a different unicode version) might end up and further changes and thus this entity would be required to update the markup/reference positions. So it's probably better to just not do it when receiving or forwarding if you don't want to deal with that. Also note that normalizing might actually break things if the sender uses a newer unicode version for normalization.
  851. pdurbin has left
  852. pdurbin has joined
  853. moparisthebest > as long as you follow the rule of being strict on what you control and liberal what others send you.
  854. moparisthebest you mean the thing you *shouldn't* do ? https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-protocol-maintenance-03
  855. balu_der_baer has joined
  856. Zash aka draft-postel-was-wrong or somesuch
  857. moparisthebest I liked the original working title better hehe https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-postel-was-wrong
  858. moparisthebest +1 to Zash for having the best memory
  859. j.r has left
  860. flow larma, I don't think we are fucked (mostly because I think what PRECIS does is sensible). All we need is agility regarding the supported Unicode standard in runtimes or libraries. In fact, chances are high that your system has a sufficiently recent unicode database in /usr/share/unicode(-data)
  861. flow And what the draft-iab-protocol-maintenance I-D says
  862. pdurbin has left
  863. Zash Wait didn't that get RFC'd?
  864. Zash Huh, not yet I guess
  865. larma flow, sure for sending this is a sane thing to do, but for receiving you should be more liberal. After all your cannot ensure OS and/or client are of recent version.
  866. Zash be liberal or fail loudly
  867. Zash but also don't fail.
  868. moparisthebest > chances are high that your system has a sufficiently recent unicode database in /usr/share/unicode(-data)
  869. chronosx88 has left
  870. moparisthebest Any Redhat ever might surprise you!
  871. Zash Mmmmmmmm Enterprise
  872. pdurbin has joined
  873. j.r has joined
  874. flow moparisthebest, at least fedora has a unicode-ucd
  875. flow larma, I am not sure if you can be liberal, or, at least, if it wouldn't cause more problems in the long run. Being liberal in what to accept often sounds like a nice easy solution, but it sometimes causes unforeseen issues and in general causes the issues described in the I-D
  876. Zash Maybe the real answer is "it depends"
  877. flow as so often
  878. moparisthebest I don't know about unicode, but up to date redhat 7 has a curl that was released Feb 6 2013, and up to date still supported redhat 6 has a curl that was released in Nov 4 2009
  879. moparisthebest unicode is surely just as bad if not worse
  880. flow What implementations could do is to use an old unicode version when verifying and "generating" JIDs, to ensure maximum interoperability
  881. Zash strict mode when creating users and such?
  882. moparisthebest wouldn't that disallow things allowed by newer unicode versions?
  883. Zash yes, that's the point
  884. pdurbin has left
  885. flow moparisthebest, yes, but if you prevent the user from even generating such JIDs you achieve maximum interop
  886. Nekit has left
  887. moparisthebest to ensure maximum interoperability maybe impls should just limit everyone to ASCII
  888. flow wanna create an new MUC? make sure to use unicode 6.0 (or so) to prepare and enforce the JID that you send to the MUC service
  889. Zash and now you're on the unicode upgrade threadmill! enjoy
  890. pdurbin has joined
  891. Zash them users gonna want those new codepoints, better upgrade
  892. flow it's software and protocols, we are always in the upgrade threadmill
  893. Zash Is CentOS 6 dead yet?
  894. moparisthebest I don't think so, redhat 6 isn't
  895. lovetox has left
  896. stpeter has joined
  897. Dele (Mobile) has left
  898. j.r has left
  899. philipp has joined
  900. philipp has left
  901. mukt2 has joined
  902. Zash https://cerdale.zash.se/upload/ilURA86kFBb66daT/image.png
  903. Zash There was something about ligatures but I don't remember the exact details.
  904. pdurbin has left
  905. pdurbin has joined
  906. mukt2 has left
  907. larma Zash, ligatures are a font only thing that affects displaying but not anything the toolkit is doing, so you can still select half of a ligature. Depending on toolkit, the selecting thing can already change how ligatures are displayed. I don't remember which, but I know I have once seen a messenger that manually rendered the cursor in the input field and this broke ligatures if the cursor was between the two characters that make up a ligature. And this actually can affect the two chars length (if they are shorter as a ligature) which could cause the multiline text field to wrap differently. Long story short: moving the cursor through the text field would actually cause the text in it to jump around.
  908. jubalh has joined
  909. pdurbin has left
  910. pdurbin has joined
  911. jubalh has left
  912. Tobias has left
  913. stpeter has left
  914. karoshi has left
  915. pdurbin has left
  916. stpeter has joined
  917. Wojtek has left
  918. stpeter has left
  919. pdurbin has joined
  920. pdurbin has left
  921. aj has joined